Sign in to follow this  
marcom

Preview: New IOS / Android Remote CDU

Hi All,

I have been working on writing a remote CDU web app server that supports both Android and IOS (and should work with other mobile devices / browsers).

The technology used doesn't rely on screen capturing so there is no limitation on running FSX windowed or in full screen. CPU usage on the server is also minimal. The server can serve multiple devices at the same time, so you can run the CDU on your phone while checking your flight's status while your main tablet can be built into your home-cockpit.

Here's a photo (sorry for the glare) showing the CDU running on an iPhone 5, a Google Nexus (2012) and an iPad Air.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5HdXeQAwtKVRy1uSndhNkNQQ0U

Coding is completed and I was thinking of releasing a view-only version for free while releasing a full-control version for less than $5.00, depending on the interest in the community - so let me know if you are interested in this!

Best Regards

Mark

Mark Foti

Author of aviaworx - https://www.aviaworx.com

logo_avsim.png

This looks really interesting and would be something I would find useful.

There was a similar effort with an iOS app a few years (2?) ago where there was some backlash from PMDG, so I would highly recommend that you contact them directly and work out any legal issues in advance. It worked out for the other app in the end, so I am sure you can come to terms with each other.

Looks good Mark, I'd be interested in the android version

Brian Thomas

WW1618.png

I would buy a fully functioning UI, but you have to make it worth your while ($30 USD). Looking forward to hearing more about it.

\Robert Hamlich/

I'd buy it for $30

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Hi guys,

thanks for the encouraging words.

@BigThie: both the free and commercial version will exclude professional / commercial usage, just as PMDG's EULA. Plus all graphics are not their intellectual property. The technology I used to access the data is officially released and documented by PMDG. So I guess I should be ok. Nevertheless, I have contacted PMDG to be on the safe side, but haven't heard back yet - I'm guessing they are busy with the 747.

@Robert, Ron: $30 would probably be prohibitive to most users. I don't want such a steep price tag. After all, this is what motivated me in the first place to get started with the project - there was no similar product available.

Regards

Mark

Mark Foti

logo_avsim.png

I too would be interested in this app even though I am a dinosaur when it comes to things like this:)

Regards

Hi Mark,

I can understand that some people might not be able to pay $30. Maybe you can make set it up as donationware and let people decide what they are willing to pay for the app. Just an idea.

\Robert Hamlich/

@BigThie: both the free and commercial version will exclude professional / commercial usage, just as PMDG's EULA. Plus all graphics are not their intellectual property. The technology I used to access the data is officially released and documented by PMDG. So I guess I should be ok. Nevertheless, I have contacted PMDG to be on the safe side, but haven't heard back yet - I'm guessing they are busy with the 747.

Cool, sounds like you have that under control. I just wanted to make sure you knew about it.

On the money issue, I think $30 might be a bit on the steep side personally, but I would definitely pay more than $5.

You guys seen virtual avionics?

They have an android, ios solution.

Regards

Darren

While I'm sure their solution works just as well (although I haven't tested it), I don't agree with their business model.

With my app, you'll only need to pay once, regardless of how many devices you want to use and whether Apple, Android, MS or whatelse.

Of course I won't say no to donations higher than the retail price - that'll motivate me to look into future projects making our simulation more enjoyable / realistic.

But the retail price will be right around the $/€ 5.00 mark.

Regards

Mark

Mark Foti

logo_avsim.png

Mark,

Will the product emulate the correct CDU for various aircraft? Boeing, Airbus, Bombardier, etc?

Thanks

I'm definitely interested.

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB)