Sign in to follow this  
georgetyrrell

Born Again Newbie requesting quick help

Hello (again)

Firstly, let me just quickly explain that this isnt a 'how do I do flight sim' or 'what's the best ever thing for me without knowing anything about my system etc' type of question. There's a reason for it! I haven't turned on the PC in about 5 years I think, I fell out of FS just as it looked like Fs9 was dying, and I never really embraced FSX. I haven't posted here in that long and I simply can't believe the place. Fs9 isnt dead and FSX seems to have eventually made it! I'm in need of new pants regarding the new aircraft , scenery etc I've just seen. Anyway my question is regarding operating systems. Won't post in the OS forums because I'd have to post in each one, and a general Google search is being too vague. I have still have XP pro by the way! And once upon a time I could take an operating system apart , set it up a sim with such specific settings, but alas no more. It's all gone from my head.

So point of this is I have an opportunity to purchase a new operating system today, and my question is this. What are people using for FSX? The good people who care to go through every detail like I'm going to over the next few months. I had heard the Win8 is a no go, and I'm figuring Windows 7 64bit is working the best? My choice is that or Windows 10. Is it a case of future proofing by getting Win10 and maybe suck up the tweaking and work arounds for a while or will Win7 provide more than enough compatibility for the next few years as I set about rebuilding a modern PC again. What would you do if you were a nrewbie again? Sorry for the long post, time today has prevented me from searching the forums and comparing opinions and weighing up pros and cons.

Regards

George.

If you have 64 bit hardware, I would suggest Win7 64.

Win 10 is still getting figured out and you may encounter addons that will not work in 10, and where the developer is no longer around to fix it. Like with Aerosoft AES.

Plus, if your system is 5 years old, you may have hardware in there where no driver for Win 10 has been released yet. Happened to me every time I switched OS...

LORBY-SI

Windows 7 is probably more expensive now than Windows 10 because it's no longer sold officially (kind of like FSX).

Just buy W10... I've had 0 issues with FSX after an upgrade from W7, so why would there be any issues on a clean install? Like nutikati said, check with the manufactures of your hardware and see if they have released W10 drivers.

I'm thinking if you stick with fsx or fsx steam, win 7 64 bit is for you. If you plan on adopting p3d anytime in the future, win 10 might be the more proactive choice. However as stated above, your system might need a hardware refresh if its 5 years old. And an update of a 5 year old machine is false economy, maybe a new build is in order.

Yes should have stated all new hardware is being purchased it'll be the latest ish stuff so its only an operating system vs FSX opinion needed

George

Do you have your copy of FSX? If not, i'd recommend FSX Steam Edition. Now, its 50% OFF (12.5 USD)

For S.O, i'd go for W10 Pro x64

Cheers :)

N.-

I was on the Insider program and there's nothing wrong with Win 10 IF you are doing a new build system.

BUT it does not bring any performance enhancements for FS in any version.

If you have Win 7 64 bit lying around, I'd recommend that. If not, Win 10 is mature enough for FSX, which is already dead, just taking its' time about it ! Get the Steam edition as its the only one likely to have any changes made to better suit the new OS.

Nope have a DVD copy of Acceleration but I will probably go the way of steam just because. Okay I will go the way of Win10 64 bit as its a new install and see how I go. Thanks for the contributions,

George