Sign in to follow this  
callum112233

FTX Orbx?

Hi can someone explain to me the structure of the obrx series? There seems to be many different packages, some of them very costly. I like the look of the ground textures but to be honest I am bamboozled by the different packages.

Thanks.

Callum.

Thank you for that link. It helped de-mystify it all a little bit.

My next question:

I want my sim to have a good English countryside look to it, similar to the look demonstrated on the airline2pilot dash 8 instructional videos.

I now have FTX Global base, but which would be my next best move? FTX openLC Europe or FTX England terrain region?

Thanks again.

FTX England is the best looking option.  You mentioned the Dash 8, so if you are going to be primarily flying that or tubes, you might as well go for LC and Vector.  Less performance hit and really very little difference at height, plus you get the whole of Europe in LC (Vector being global).

I fly low slow and short journeys, (couple hundred miles). I own Global, Vector, Europe but I don't bother with any of them I Only install regions now, nice feature rich all in one regions.

FTX England is the best looking option.  You mentioned the Dash 8, so if you are going to be primarily flying that or tubes, you might as well go for LC and Vector.  Less performance hit and really very little difference at height, plus you get the whole of Europe in LC (Vector being global).

You mention performance hit. 

I assumed the performance of FTX England would be the same as the FTX global base pack?

I fly low slow and short journeys, (couple hundred miles). I own Global, Vector, Europe but I don't bother with any of them I Only install regions now, nice feature rich all in one regions.

It would be quite costly owning FTX England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland though I think  :Tounge:

Start with the Region you fly in the most.

You can always add more, later.

Bert

I find very little performance hit (if any) with full regions.

I own them all and never had an issue.

Like Bert said, get the region you will fly in the most.  There are quite a few to add on later if you wish.

FTX Global is a must have.  The majority of new payware airport scenery are built to blend with it.

Hirdy

Start with the Region you fly in the most.

You can always add more, later.

Good plan Bert. I think im opting for FTX England. Just a bit nervous about FPS. I have:

Intel i5 4670

GTX 660

8gb memory

Should be alright with this?

I find very little performance hit (if any) with full regions.

I own them all and never had an issue.

Like Bert said, get the region you will fly in the most.  There are quite a few to add on later if you wish.

FTX Global is a must have.  The majority of new payware airport scenery are built to blend with it.

Hirdy

Thanks Hirdy. Great advice there. FTX England it is then :)

You mention performance hit. 

I assumed the performance of FTX England would be the same as the FTX global base pack?

No, the full packs include a lot more tweaked items and certainly more than simply the global base pack.  You will definitely loose *some* fps, how much will depend on your system.

Of more practical consequence, if you aren't short of processing power, is the VAS hit.  Your average Cessna addon doesn't eat much VAS, but put airliners, addon airports and full fat FTX regions on and you are going to risk an OOM.  At airliner heights, the visual difference between Global/Vector/LC and a full fat region is minimal, so why spend the extra VAS?  

I only ever toggle on the full fat regions when flying low and VFR, otherwise I use the Global/Vector/LC combo.

No, the full packs include a lot more tweaked items and certainly more than simply the global base pack.  You will definitely loose *some* fps, how much will depend on your system.

Of more practical consequence, if you aren't short of processing power, is the VAS hit.  Your average Cessna addon doesn't eat much VAS, but put airliners, addon airports and full fat FTX regions on and you are going to risk an OOM.  At airliner heights, the visual difference between Global/Vector/LC and a full fat region is minimal, so why spend the extra VAS?  

I only ever toggle on the full fat regions when flying low and VFR, otherwise I use the Global/Vector/LC combo.

Thanks for this. Looks like I still have some deciding to do.

I do both airliner flying and VFR flying so I might have to eventually get both openLC and the full terrain regions.

I stand by my recommendation... start with the Region you fly in most.. Some of us (myself included) have not invested in Vector, nor LC..

Global yes... the rest depends on your personal preferences.

Bert

Thanks for this. Looks like I still have some deciding to do.

I do both airliner flying and VFR flying so I might have to eventually get both openLC and the full terrain regions.

While Flying Penguin is right, that VAS can be a problem under certain circumstances, I would also recommend to you going for FTX England. I have a similar system as you have, but to get an OOM, I have to use the PMDG 777, FTX England, Global & Vector as well as all Payware Airports in the London Area activated - and even then I might still get away lucky. With the Majestic Dash you should be well on the safe side, and with FTX England activated you don't need FTX Global or Vector in the covered region - it doesn't add more (in that area). Sure, there is a slight hit in fps but still perfectly flyable in the Q400.

Hope I could add to your decision. Happy flying!

Greetings,

Mario

Ended up opting for FTX England as I can just switch it off and go back to FTX global base if I am flying complex aircraft. Will have a VFR flight later in the A2A 182 and see what it's like :)

Thanks for everyones input. Very helpful.