Sign in to follow this  
tazz

P3D 3.0 Speculation & General Nonsense

ErichB, on 24 Sept 2015 - 1:22 PM, said:
Who actually uses the stupid canned ATC anyway?   It's ridiculous.

I do...? 

I see...

I also use the default ATC. I think it's pretty decent.

I can stand the default ATC for about 2 minutes, and that is it.  Flying along at 35,000 feet 50 miles from the nearest waypoint on a heading of 270... ATC  , "turn left to a heading of 240"    2 minutes later,  ATC  "turn right to a heading of 290"        3 minutes laters,  ATC   "turn right to a heading of   310"      5 minutes later, " turn left to a heading of 270"..etc....etc........  It's like flying with a psychopath running ATC.. Got ProATC X and never looked back. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I can stand the default ATC for about 2 minutes, and that is it. Flying along at 35,000 feet 50 miles from the nearest waypoint on a heading of 270... ATC , "turn left to a heading of 240" 2 minutes later, ATC "turn right to a heading of 290" 3 minutes laters, ATC "turn right to a heading of 310" 5 minutes later, " turn left to a heading of 270".

Yup. That pretty much sums it up - apart from the fact that it sounds stupid.

I use VATSIM these days. But then again, it's only  good if you have an ATC who knows what he's doing. To be fair, most I've had have been pretty good.

Wow, rob, that was deep, hahah

Just copied it to my teacher ICT here ;).

But yeah, should help people a bit :)

Victor Roos

Yup. That pretty much sums it up. lol

I use VATSIM these days. But then again, it's only  good if you have an ATC who knows what he's doing. To be fair, most I've had have been pretty good.

I tried Vatsim quite a few years ago, for about a year. The thing that annoyed me about it was when on a long flight, controllers ( the only one on) would decide they wanted to watch TV or walk the dog, and sign off when you were 100 miles from your destination. When I started flying P3D about 5 months ago, I looked into it again and noticed that during the hours I fly, there are only  1 or possibly 2  controllers for the  entire US, if that much. Right at this moment there is one controller in the US.  With Pro ATC, I get a flight plan, call clearance delivery, am assigned a runway, call ground, tower, departure control, center, approach control, tower, and ground, on each an every flight with Sids and Stars assigned according to the weather. In addition a moving map shows where you all the time, and also lists frequencies. Can't beat it, in my opinion. I was used to flying in the real world in very congested airspace, and this is the closest to reality that I have found flying in the sim world. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Well, I don't get up above 4000 feet, and I generally only use "flight following" during my short hops between airports in the UK and Ireland, so that's probably why it doesn't get annoying! However, I have heard the repeated course change instructions that you mention being given to AI planes. I am not really sure why you think that the ATC "sounds stupid" though. It sounds perfectly fine to me :huh:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

ried Vatsim quite a few years ago, for about a year. The thing that annoyed me about it was when on a long flight, controllers ( the only one on) would decide they wanted to watch TV or walk the dog, and sign off when you were 100 miles from your destination. When I started flying P3D about 5 months ago, I looked into it again and noticed that during the hours I fly, there are only 1 or possibly 2 controllers for the entire US, if that much. Right at this moment there is one controller in the US. With Pro ATC, I get a flight plan, call cl

I get you Bob, but when everything comes together in VATSIM it's a pretty awesome experience. I don't particularly need or want enroute ATC but when I'm up for a serious sim session i usually choose my departure point based on which stations are being manned. (and just hope they are still there when I'm done with PFPX, charts, the FMC and ready for pushback :) ) I mostly depart from London which generally has good ATC coverage.

I am not really sure why you think that the ATC "sounds stupid" though. It sounds perfectly fine to me

That's really all that matters.

I see...

I only fly GA and the default ATC is fine for me. Now if you're flying airliners and it's not realistic enough for you, that's OK, but you have to realise it's good enough for some people.

My comments were neither to confirm or deny the presence of a transparent ATC window ... just letting people know it's never "as simple" as you might think.

Cheers, Rob.

Oh i didnt know that, very cool 

Just messin' with you a little there Elaine (sorry geek humour) ... sub-pixel is a logical construction only, not a physical one.  Photoshop does let you zoom to sub-pixel but one is still bound to the physical pixel.

Cheers, Rob.

but you have to realise it's good enough for some people

Of course I do.

I only fly GA and the default ATC is fine for me. Now if you're flying airliners and it's not realistic enough for you, that's OK, but you have to realise it's good enough for some people.

I'm in the same boat.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Looks to me like all the Moderators on the Prepar3D forum are sporting new Prepar3D V3 Golf shirts! LOL!

Makes me think that it is likely the release that is imminent rather than an announcement! :-)

Well, I don't get up above 4000 feet, and I generally only use "flight following" during my short hops between airports in the UK and Ireland, so that's probably why it doesn't get annoying! However, I have heard the repeated course change instructions that you mention being given to AI planes. I am not really sure why you think that the ATC "sounds stupid" though. It sounds perfectly fine to me :huh:

Same here. For airliners default ATC isn't exactly what you want but for the occassional flight following or just to get permission to take off or land default ATC is great. And it does indeed sound perfectly fine. With the emphasis on perfectly because I have yet to hear an ATC addon that sounds better than default ATC. All addons sound robotic and fake: with default ATC it actually sounds like everything you hear has been recorded in one take. I always wonder why addon ATC sounds so crap and robotic in comparison...

I can stand the default ATC for about 2 minutes, and that is it.  Flying along at 35,000 feet 50 miles from the nearest waypoint on a heading of 270... ATC  , "turn left to a heading of 240"    2 minutes later,  ATC  "turn right to a heading of 290"        3 minutes laters,  ATC   "turn right to a heading of   310"      5 minutes later, " turn left to a heading of 270"..etc....etc........  It's like flying with a psychopath running ATC.. Got ProATC X and never looked back. 

It's like if you were on a boat going from side to side. :lol:

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)