Sign in to follow this  
tazz

P3D 3.0 Speculation & General Nonsense

I remember buying the sublogic  scenery disc 7 which included Washington, Charlotte, Jacksonville and Miami.  I stayed up all night flying from as far north as the scenery would allow down to Miami.  Only navigating by VOR's (no GTN back then).

I was using a Kaypro with an 8086 and my screen was only 2 colors.  Thats when FS became a major part of my life.  Wow that was almost 30 years ago.  

Sean Green

Too many memories of Flight Simulator II.... they tie in with memories of flying the "Chuck Yeager Advanced Flight Trainer" on the C64 as well.

Then, the Commodore was retired and we moved on to an EGA-equipped PC, which meant MS Flight Simulator 4 and all it's attractions. THATS when the real flying for me began, as it was far smoother and more rich than the C64 experience.... and when the Aircraft and Scenery Designer pack came out? Forget it. I became a young teenaged cellar-dweller at that time listening to all the pop songs of the day, designing fighter jets and fictional cities and airports to fly around...

Right now there is enough speculative info going the rounds that persuades me to hold off purchasing a second licence meantime. I have no wish to destroy my heavily customised 2.4 installation on my M18X Laptop and my new soopa doopa build is now waiting eagerly to embrace V3. There's rarely smoke without fire and I'm anticipating V3 will be released within the next 6-8 weeks, possibly sooner. Place your bets now!

Mike

The bigger question is what Vegas has for odds?

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

How come nobody has started a thread for Version 4.0 yet?  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I lived in Champaign near that time but never met Artwick or came across the Sublogic folks.

I visited them in '89 - had started a short-lived publication called PC Pilot (no relation to the current, successful one) and went out to subLogic to meet with Stu Moment (business side).  Met Artwick briefly.  Interesting conversations, though not nearly as lively as the ones with Sid Meier and "Wild Bill" Stealy at MicroProse.

My first version of MSFS was the Mac one in '86, so my strongest nostalgia is for Oakland (27R).  Illinois came later, and that was mainly Meigs to Kankakee thanks to Charlie Gulick's Adventures book.

Somehow it all seemed to be more fun back then.

There's rarely smoke without fire and I'm anticipating V3 will be released within the next 6-8 weeks, possibly sooner. Place your bets now!

That would be really cool.   Have to say, i'm excited at the idea of a new/updated version of P3D and wonder what it will bring

I visited them in '89 - had started a short-lived publication called PC Pilot (no relation to the current, successful one) and went out to subLogic to meet with Stu Moment (business side).  Met Artwick briefly.  Interesting conversations, though not nearly as lively as the ones with Sid Meier and "Wild Bill" Stealy at MicroProse.

My first version of MSFS was the Mac one in '86, so my strongest nostalgia is for Oakland (27R).  Illinois came later, and that was mainly Meigs to Kankakee thanks to Charlie Gulick's Adventures book.

Somehow it all seemed to be more fun back then.

Where were they located, Champaign or Urbana?

It was fun because we were all discovering a new thing. :wink:

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Is it possible we are getting a bit overexcited for 3.0 simply because it "seems" like it will be a big change due to the use of "3.0"?

I'm trying to wrap my head around what might actually change (besides 64 bit)

Where were they located, Champaign or Urbana?
It was fun because we were all discovering a new thing.

I believe it was Champaign but I can't swear to it - I don't have anything in writing to back up my 24 year-old memories, so there's definitely the risk of a memory leak...  B)

Discovering a new thing - definitely.  I remember doing a couple of networked flights back then - the networking consisted of going into a chat room to agree on the route and the weather, then flying the route, then going back into the chat room at the destination to enjoy a virtual $100 hamburger.  

I enjoy all the progress we've made and all the added realism but somehow none of it generates quite the same buzz.

How come nobody has started a thread for Version 4.0 yet?  

Version 3.0 will feature improved memory management and will be due in fall 2015.

Version 4.0 will support DX12 and will be due in fall 2017.

Version 5.0 will be 64 bit and will be due in fall 2019.

Now, let's start to speculate on 6.0 (due in fall 2021).

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Now, let's start to speculate on 6.0 (due in fall 2021).

C.o.n.t.r.o.v.e.r.s.i.a.l  :smile: 

I would be happy with a 2.6 if it's the version that stops the micro stutters and the AA.That's the only problems I have with P3D.

LM and Orbx working together to solve that for simmers would be great.

And 2.6 stop the Ooms for those who have that problem..

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

reecemj, I don´t have any AA or stutter problems, so I guess it differs from system to system so it might not be fair to blame LM (P3D) for that. As you point out some users have OOM problems but obviously not you and neither do I so........  who is to blame?  :wink:

Regardless if we get a P3D v100.0 some people will have problems.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

reecemj, I don´t have any AA or stutter problems, so I guess it differs from system to system so it might not be fair to blame LM (P3D) for that.

Even when you look sideways the scenery goes by completely smooth? Do you use TrackIR? In 100% of all videos I've seen (and I've seen a lot) those micro stutters were present. You must be very lucky or at least your computer must be a beast :)