Sign in to follow this  
Boeing or not going

Does DX10 help in high AI situations?

I am getting back into AI traffic finally, but going to a big airport that has addon scenery my fps drop to 10. (VHHH,RJAA,KLAX,etc)

I am staying out of big hubs and flying island hopping. fdst PHNL using lots of AI traffic I see 15-20 fps and that is acceptable, but any bigger airport that has more flights is unflyable.

I use fsx:acceleration and dx9 but am thinking about moving to dx10. I do not get OOM in the PMDG NGX but do if I fly in the 777, this is before I added AI traffic. so I am thinking of moving to DX10 and using the Fixer program I have read it helps in some OOM situations. But if I only fly the NGX and have no OOM problems, can I see more stable and higher fps in big airports if using DX10 and the Fixer? Thank you

DX10 won't give you more frames when using complex aircraft, combined with big airports and AI Traffic...beefier hardware will. :)

DX10 will enhance the overall experience in FSX, meaning that shadows, lighting, and atmosphere will look better.  The scenery fixer from Steve works very nice, but again, if you fly with complex aircraft from say, PMDG, your frames are going to go down if you don't have a system that can handle it.  This is why in the tutorials from PMDG, they recommend no weather, very low AI traffic (if at all).

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

DX10 won't give you more frames when using complex aircraft, combined with big airports and AI Traffic...beefier hardware will. :)

DX10 will enhance the overall experience in FSX, meaning that shadows, lighting, and atmosphere will look better.  The scenery fixer from Steve works very nice, but again, if you fly with complex aircraft from say, PMDG, your frames are going to go down if you don't have a system that can handle it.  This is why in the tutorials from PMDG, they recommend no weather, very low AI traffic (if at all).

-Jim

I'd like to see anyone run 100% AI traffic at KLAX or EGLL and get 30fps on the ground using Aerosoft or UK2000 scenery

I have an older i7 clocked to 4ghz and an Nvidia Titan. But my fps are not as high as I thought building this system over 2 years ago.  DX10 doesnt help OOM errors? Is FSX Steam the only platform that offers OOM relief?

I was hoping DX10 would at least make the sim more stable.

DX10 did not help me with the FPS issue on big hubs, how could it? It did help with the OOM issue though, but as I mentioned elsewhere, there is something wrong with my current W10 setup (I run into OOM very, very fast...), so I do currently not push this fact to hard.

What AI tool do you use? I currently run an UT2 setup with tons of custom models (FAIB etc.) and custom textures. I have the commercial traffic down to 30% which results in a acceptable amount of AI traffic at big hubs and still acceptable FPS. But, as an example: taxiing in the VC of the QWSIM Avro at LFPG for example, my FPS are down to 15-18. No chance to get that higher with any tool, any DX variant or whatever. Only things that would help: reduce AI even further down or use an even more competent CPU. But as I am basically at the top end regarding CPU (3770K running at 4.5GHz), my only chance would be in reducing the AI even lower than 30%, which I do not do, as the big hubs then quickly look empty.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I'd like to see anyone run 100% AI traffic at KLAX or EGLL and get 30fps on the ground using Aerosoft or UK2000 scenery

I have an older i7 clocked to 4ghz and an Nvidia Titan. But my fps are not as high as I thought building this system over a year ago.  DX10 doesnt help OOM errors? Is FSX Steam the only platform that offers OOM relief?

100% is not possible, AI draws way too much processing power. In a way AI planes are simulated too, just like your own plane. You can adjust the parameters in their aircraft.cfg and they will use them - so the sim has to do quite a lot of work here. But if the AI planes were not controlled by FSX but from an external application, that injects only the graphical models and moves them inside the sim - so FSX only has to do the displaying part... worth a thought, methinks.

DX10 and OOMs: there are those that claim that it helps, yes. I cannot testify to this effect, have been using DX10 with the fixer for a long time now. The big memory eaters like the PMDG777 or the CLS DC10 will cause OOM anyway, albeit maybe a bit later. But it looks much nicer though - except some display problems that still are not solved (like black textures at night at some airports - even with Fixer version 2.8 I still have black runways and taxiways in some Aerosoft airports).

But what definitely helps with OOMs is to set up your sim in such a way that only the parts needed for your actual flight are configured and loaded (especially scenery).

LORBY-SI

I saw an immediate improvement in my OOM situation after switching to DX10.

I also recently made heavy use of different scenery configuations in FSX which has helped with the fps.

I saw an immediate improvement in my OOM situation after switching to DX10.

I also recently made heavy use of different scenery configuations in FSX which has helped with the fps.

I've tried every trick in the book, but DX10 and the Fixer is my last hope. Thanks everyone

I've tried every trick in the book, but DX10 and the Fixer is my last hope. Thanks everyone

I did see a small improvement in FPS with DX10. More work is being offloaded to the GPU in DX10 so you would think that there would be some benefit. Before buying the fixer, you can easily see if your performance is affected by just selecting the DX10 Preview option in settings. You may notice some texture problems but these would be fixed by Steve's scenery fixer if you subsequently bought it. Personally, I wouldn't go back to DX9 now. Cockpit shadows alone make it worth the change.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I did see a small improvement in FPS with DX10. More work is being offloaded to the GPU in DX10 so you would think that there would be some benefit. Before buying the fixer, you can easily see if your performance is affected by just selecting the DX10 Preview option in settings. You may notice some texture problems but these would be fixed by Steve's scenery fixer if you subsequently bought it. Personally, I wouldn't go back to DX9 now. Cockpit shadows alone make it worth the change.

Do you run into any compatibility problems? I use older addon scenery like smaller developers from simmarket and worry the airports will not show up correctly especially at night

Also does DX10 let you run higher Anti Aliasing settings? if I run 8x AA and 2x SGSS my fps come to a crawl with clouds in DX9

Do you run into any compatibility problems? I use older addon scenery like smaller developers from simmarket and worry the airports will not show up correctly especially at night

Also does DX10 let you run higher Anti Aliasing settings? if I run 8x AA and 2x SGSS my fps come to a crawl with clouds in DX9

I use Steve's commercial scenery fixer and I haven't run into any problems yet. However, the only scenery add-ons I use are from Orbx. Try the raw DX10 preview with your airports and see what happens. Also, ask around - there's probably someone using DX10 with the airports you have.

As recommended for DX10, I have AA set to application controlled. I have transparency supersampling set to 4xSGSS and it runs smoothly in cloud (using a GTX 970 card).

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I use Steve's commercial scenery fixer and I haven't run into any problems yet. However, the only scenery add-ons I use are from Orbx. Try the raw DX10 preview with your airports and see what happens. Also, ask around - there's probably someone using DX10 with the airports you have.

As recommended for DX10, I have AA set to application controlled. I have transparency supersampling set to 4xSGSS and it runs smoothly in cloud (using a GTX 970 card).

Thank you, going to buy the Fixer