Sign in to follow this  
exodus1977

Oculus Rift and P3D

Has anyone come across any updates on how this will all work with the retail version.. will the reports of gauges being blurry still be an issue.. is the flyinside fsx software still the best bet for making it all work the best..

I've pre-ordered the retail kit.. i've got a 780ti 3GB and i'm hoping its at least the equivalent to the min required 980 gtx baseline (seems to be) and will work well enough.. very curious here.

I saw something the other day about some other company coming out with a headset where you mash a button and gives you a forward looking camera view. May have been Sony....not sure. No one knows for sure but information leans in the direction of at lest 1 980TI to get any decent performance.

Since this is a flight Sim Forum....one should use a lot of caution with this new Tech. I have not been convinced that it is going to be all that great for us in the early days. May be worth investing in if you like the bang bang shoot um up stuff. 

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

I think it's likely to be best for Helicopters, light GA and fighter jets.

Really anything where the benefit of looking around a lot is huge and also where control is either simpler and/or is mostly mapped to the joystick/peripherals.

The gauge reading thing sounds like the main issue.

I'm also curious about the HTC offering as it has an external camera which could be super handy to trigger when you need to see something on a tablet or the keyboard, etc

I am using DK2 at full resolution with a 6 core 4.2 Ghz CPU and an Nv970. With Flyinside, I run very smooth (nearly judder free) with medium settings. I move the pilot eyepoint to be quite close to the glareshield but still so I can see all instruments reasonably clearly. Seeing the center console on CS777 is difficult (I can't lean down enough) and the FMS CDU is difficult to read but most other instruments are pretty clear. The DEV of Flyinside (Dan Church) has added features so you can have other sim support (popup GTN750, Moving Maps, etc.) windows inside the cockpit (toggle button on/off) and there is a local zoom feature. I changed from a standard Logitech Extreme 3D pro joystick to a $30 Thrustmaster HOTAS so I have separate throttle with a lot of buttons but I found that Voice Activation is really the best way to control things - for me, many buttons requires a lot of remembering for the mapping. Apps like VAC and Multi Crew Experience let you feel some company in the VR cockpit - a first officer - you just map your voice commands to the keyboard.

I really enjoy this compared to my previous three monitor configuration. When you fly your F22 (or H-60 Heli without doors) down just above the the surface of the Colorado River inside the Grand Canyon, and look way up to the rim, you are doing something you will never do otherwise in real life. I also fly DCS World Version 2 with the A-10C in the new Las Vegas scenery with Nellis and Groom Lake. Looking out to your right wing as you fire some rockets or watch the other aircraft in the scene as you look even further back over your head as you execute a chandelle to keep your eyes on the target, an amazing feeling. DCS World has most of the buildings and trees with shadows (run at late afternoon with some clouds) of Downtown Vegas along with many static airliners at McCarran - (the Russkis are coming - make your own mission). When Asynchronous Time Warp is added in DCS World (it's already in Flyinside for FSX/P3D), there will be less judder - or get a 980ti.

Yes, I would like a clearer image so I could see the bad guys at longer range. I would like a little more Antialiasing with FSX/P3D - seems just fine in DCS World. You should be able to buy a DK2 cheaper from eBay or whatever when the CV1 ($600 is too much for me) starts to ship in April/May. Now I don't have to build a cockpit to get the feeling and all the virtual cockpit developers are making it SO real.

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

Has anyone come across any updates on how this will all work with the retail version.. will the reports of gauges being blurry still be an issue.. is the flyinside fsx software still the best bet for making it all work the best..

I've pre-ordered the retail kit.. i've got a 780ti 3GB and i'm hoping its at least the equivalent to the min required 980 gtx baseline (seems to be) and will work well enough.. very curious here.

Actually the minimum recommended is a 970 which I have. Regarding your question Flyinside will be working on an update as soon as he gets the CV1.

He will be working on perfomance improvements using Envidia Gameworks. Unfortunately only those who use P3d and have a 970+ can enjoy those improvements. There are going to be huge improvement in the not distant future when the implement foveated rendering.

I have been using oculus Rift to fly on Ivao and can tell you it cant get any more inmersive. Well, yes. I started using Fs2crew as well... you might not know it guys but in 5 years you will all be simming in VR.

The 780Ti is slightly faster than the 970, thus it should be good.

The problem is that Envidia Gameworks only works on the 900s. You will be able to use sli (one card per eye)and multishading rendering (less pixels on your perferial vision therefore better perfomance)

I am using DK2 at full resolution with a 6 core 4.2 Ghz CPU and an Nv970. With Flyinside, I run very smooth (nearly judder free) with medium settings. I move the pilot eyepoint to be quite close to the glareshield but still so I can see all instruments reasonably clearly. Seeing the center console on CS777 is difficult (I can't lean down enough) and the FMS CDU is difficult to read but most other instruments are pretty clear. The DEV of Flyinside (Dan Church) has added features so you can have other sim support (popup GTN750, Moving Maps, etc.) windows inside the cockpit (toggle button on/off) and there is a local zoom feature. I changed from a standard Logitech Extreme 3D pro joystick to a $30 Thrustmaster HOTAS so I have separate throttle with a lot of buttons but I found that Voice Activation is really the best way to control things - for me, many buttons requires a lot of remembering for the mapping. Apps like VAC and Multi Crew Experience let you feel some company in the VR cockpit - a first officer - you just map your voice commands to the keyboard.

I really enjoy this compared to my previous three monitor configuration. When you fly your F22 (or H-60 Heli without doors) down just above the the surface of the Colorado River inside the Grand Canyon, and look way up to the rim, you are doing something you will never do otherwise in real life. I also fly DCS World Version 2 with the A-10C in the new Las Vegas scenery with Nellis and Groom Lake. Looking out to your right wing as you fire some rockets or watch the other aircraft in the scene as you look even further back over your head as you execute a chandelle to keep your eyes on the target, an amazing feeling. DCS World has most of the buildings and trees with shadows (run at late afternoon with some clouds) of Downtown Vegas along with many static airliners at McCarran - (the Russkis are coming - make your own mission). When Asynchronous Time Warp is added in DCS World (it's already in Flyinside for FSX/P3D), there will be less judder - or get a 980ti.

Yes, I would like a clearer image so I could see the bad guys at longer range. I would like a little more Antialiasing with FSX/P3D - seems just fine in DCS World. You should be able to buy a DK2 cheaper from eBay or whatever when the CV1 ($600 is too much for me) starts to ship in April/May. Now I don't have to build a cockpit to get the feeling and all the virtual cockpit developers are making it SO real.

Thanks for these details.. this does sound quite promising.. but yeah i jumped the gun on retail.. i come from a current triple screen setup with the 780ti over 3 24" screens, which often can slow the frames down in heavy weather or with traffic (not that often).. how does dk2 hold up when you hit weather?  What sort of frames are you getting on avg.. oculus seems to tout the need for 90 fps which seems crazy high for most p3d (im usually at around 27-38 mostly, but at a super high res 5760).. i guess maybe the flyinside helps smooth that out as you say?  I also have some dcs world software.. sounds great as well.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

@whitav8

Thanks for that great report. That sounds very promising indeed!!

I personally am waiting for the HTC Vive as it will launch with controllers and seems to have much better reviews on its screen, immersion, the forward facing camera, and general functionality. Also, they have more companies working with them in the game development industry including Dovetail Games who will likely integrate functionality into their new sim. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

I personally am waiting for the HTC Vive as it will launch with controllers and seems to have much better reviews on its screen, immersion, the forward facing camera, and general functionality. Also, they have more companies working with them in the game development industry including Dovetail Games who will likely integrate functionality into their new sim.

Hard for me to get excited about the Vive until its price is revealed (hopefully soon).

In terms of the Dovetail "new FSX" thing....do we even know a single thing about their plans? That just sounds like vaporware until any actual details come out. Hard to get excited about that for me right now.

That just sounds like vaporware...

Only 354 days left. The clock is ticking down. DTG is lucky that this is a leap year.

I see that the consumer edition of the Oculus Rift VR headset is slated to come out in Q1 2016. Will the headset need a special driver or software to work properly with P3D? (I'm pretty sure I've seen videos of it working wth P3D already...). Also, will using the Rift be less taxing on the GPU, beign that it is only powering two small eyepieces rather than possibly multiple large monitors?

The physical size of the eyepiece has nothing to do with it, and you can have a giant monitor with low resolution that would be less demanding...

Basically it's like your computer will need to be able to drive 4k resolution...

Basically it's like your computer will need to be able to drive 4k resolution...

2K, surely? The Rift isn't even HD.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

2K, surely? The Rift isn't even HD.

Yes 4K.. It's 2160 x 1200 PER SCREEN.

Not sure where you're getting it's not HD....

Yes 4K.. It's 2160 x 1200 PER SCREEN.

Not sure where you're getting it's not HD....

CV1 resolution is 1080x1200, so marginally better than 720p. Which is technically HD, so my bad.

• Upvote 1

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro