Sign in to follow this  
Ianrivaldosmith

4GB or 8GB?

It's always been an nVidia thing.  I think mostly because of support/drivers.

My GTX 770 4GB seems to still be doing pretty good.  I have always been disappointed with updates until this one which has been a good one.

John

John Wingold

For flight sims Nvidia is definitely the way to go. I haven't bought an ATI/AMD in years but from what I've read on the forums people who do struggle to get the performance the NV guys do. This may have much to do with driver quality, so caveat emptor as they say. :wink:

Mine runs great with a 3GB GTX780. 8GB would be perhaps overkill, but then again maybe not if you're a UHD mesh junkie :wink:. For tubeliner flights the HD Mesh is just fine.

I run a 6 GB 980ti; using an external monitor, the highest VRAM usage I've seen is about 4-1/2 GB.  Everyone's mileage might vary, depending on scenery and aircraft being used, but it would suggest that a 8GB card might be overkill.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Have a GeForce 780 GTX with 6GB (yes this is not a "Ti" edition ... just "plain" 780 ... they were on the market for only a few months as far as I know) and this one is running - of course - quite nicely most of the stuff I throw at it.

I'd throw as much as you can possibly afford at X-Plane. 8GB will give great performance, and I think will be future safe for most addons for a while.

I only have 2GB and that's very easy to use up, and I'd imagine (depending on the addons) that 4GB could be used up easily enough before you get the swapping and stuttering.

Guest Mik75

Quite easy, get as much VRAM as possible for XPX! ;-)

8gb no question. I'm still using my 680 gtx with 4gb and there are occasions that I exceed the vram limit. Admittedly this is across three screens, but still, the more you have, the safer and more future proof you'll be.

is there a good nvidia 8GB card yet or due soon?

Good question.  I had thought they were out there.  It appears that even the Titan is capped at 6GB, which is probably all you need, but the price is astronomical.  I notice that the Raedon prices for the 8GB cards run the gamut from about $300 to close to $1000. Don't see why there would be that much spread for what appears to be basically the same card.  You might just "nest egg" that money until the next "latest and greatest" is released.  The 770/4 is a good card.

John 

John Wingold

Thank you, I think i'll hold on a bit. I'm off to Barbados on Monday, so hopefully get to check out the Concorde experience:) 

Well it really depends. For future-proof-ness, then the more VRAM, the better. I have a GTX 970 which has 4GB of VRAM, and I veeeery quickly use it up when running my three monitor set up. On just one monitor though, its been fine, and I run photo scenery and the UHD mesh. At the moment, Nvidia have the 6GB 980ti and 12GB Titan X, but they are priced very high, especially here in Australia where it costs $1200 for the 980ti and $1600 for the Titan X. For now, I'd suggest waiting for the next graphics card generation, which I assume will be mid next year. Hopefully it will provide cards with more VRAM considering 4K is slowly getting cheaper and more popular.