Sign in to follow this  
penta_a

New Windows 10 Build 10525 with Memory Manager Improvements

Hi all,

MS just released a new Windows 10 Build 10525 insider preview with;

''Memory Manager Improvements

In Windows 10, we have added a new concept in the Memory Manager called a compression store, which is an in-memory collection of compressed pages. This means that when Memory Manager feels memory pressure, it will compress unused pages instead of writing them to disk. This reduces the amount of memory used per process, allowing Windows 10 to maintain more applications in physical memory at a time. This also helps provide better responsiveness across Windows 10. The compression store lives in the System process’s working set. Since the system process holds the store in memory, its working set grows larger exactly when memory is being made available for other processes. This is visible in Task Manager and the reason the System process appears to be consuming more memory than previous releases.''

Source: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/08/18/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-10525/

what impact would it have on FSX, FSX-SE and P3D?

for experts to analize and feed us back please.

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 4K monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.

I'm not sure if will help the flight sim apps.

This is my understanding of why we get OOMs...FS asks for memory, the OS gives it to it, FS uses the memory and then in some cases doesn't tell the OS that it is finished with that memory.

Otherwise known as a memory leak. It keeps asking for more memory, doesn't give all of it back and eventually runs out.

I suppose it will depend if the OS can tell if some memory allocated by FS is not being used anymore.

32 bit hard limit is 4GB. Compressed or not it still counts against this in its uncompressed size, there is just no way around it. If you had a 4 or 6 GB system memory this might help you, but then again on a system this old I doubt you'd be running Windows 10.

I'm running a 6GB system with Win 10 just fine thanks.

32 bit hard limit is 4GB. Compressed or not it still counts against this in its uncompressed size, there is just no way around it. If you had a 4 or 6 GB system memory this might help you, but then again on a system this old I doubt you'd be running Windows 10.

My LG laptop from 2005 with a Pentium M @ 1.73 GHz and 2GB of DDR2 RAM is running Windows 10 perfectly.

Good on you guys. My old laptop will run it too but I need a wifi adapter cause the one in it doesnt have a W10 driver.  My only real point was that the memory compressed swapfile still will not allow you to overcome the 32 bit limit of a 32 bit program, nor will it help with out of memory FSX errors when you have exhausted the VAS.

Good on you guys. My old laptop will run it too but I need a wifi adapter cause the one in it doesnt have a W10 driver. My only real point was that the memory compressed swapfile still will not allow you to overcome the 32 bit limit of a 32 bit program, nor will it help with out of memory FSX errors when you have exhausted the VAS.

Use Ethernet and let Windows Updates download the drivers for the WiFi card.