Sign in to follow this  
Fall_guy

RC4 and Saitek Radio Panel

Hi Guys,

Just wondered if anyone has used RC4 and Saitek Radio Successfully.

When I tune in the freq and make them active,   RC4  only seems to identify the ATIS Freq,  .......... and NONE of other DELIVERY,GROUND, TOWER etc freq

Are they Compatible?

All frequencies displayed on the Saitek Panel are indeed visible on the Aircraft Radio Panels (within FSX) and display correctly when the Saitek freq are changed.  It appears RC4 cannot read the Radio panels within FSX.

I have tried setting RC4 with Auto tune Com ON and OFF but has made no difference.   I only hope I'm doing something wrong because RC4 is such a GREAT atc program.

Kind regards

J

Logically the Saitek Panel has to be compatible otherwise what purpose does it serve?

RC4 doesn't know about what hardware you use to set radio frequencies. I use GoFlight successfully with RC4 so there's no reason why Saitek's shouldn't work.

Suggest you switch comms to Otto and observe what frequencies get set in COM1. That's the one that RC reads. Otto will change the frequency when instructed. I'm confused by your comment that AutoTune made no difference. If ATC contacted the aircraft after the frequency was changed then RC4 recognised the right frequency.

Mutley's Hangar has reviewed the Radio Panel here http://mutleyshangar.com/reviews/jack/srp/srp.htm

Just make sure you have the knob on the left set to COM1.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

RC4 also has a fixed set of comm frequencies. if you look at RC's control panel you'll see the frequencies that are listed for your departure and destination airports. Those are the ones that will be used for auto-tuning or for you to use for manually tuning. Which ones that are available depends on the airport control structure.

There is also a non-supported procedure where you can get frequencies pulled from your installed scenery. A bit tricky but search under my name for com frequecies as he subject. If you locate it be sure you back up various files to avoid an RC reinstall if an error corrupts the RC data files keyboard.dat and rcv3.dat.

Since ATIS works could you be using a database other than RC's?

Hi Ray and Ronzie,

Thanks very much for the info and support, unfortunately I'm now having another issue when I launch RC4 with a window that pops up:

(The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.)  ......... path to Navigraph nDAC 3.msi.

I'm currently updating my Navigraph account (more money) with the hope it solves the pop-up window problem, and then perhaps I can get back to configuring my Saitek radio panel and RC4.  I really appreciate your time and help on this matter and will keep you posted.

Many Thanks

John

p.s.  Sorry Ray for my lack of knowledge but what does Otto mean?

John,

RC4 has no need for Navigraph so that message is a total mystery. Without knowing how your system is set up it's hard to advise. Everything on one PC or running on two or more via WideFS?

Otto is the name given to the automated comms. Think of him as the co-pilot who will acknowledge all instructions and make contact with new centres. Ctrl+Shift+K is the default to engage him.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

(The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.) ......... path to Navigraph nDAC 3.msi.

An .msi file is an install file. It should be an .exe. The .msi needs to be executed (if you have not done so) to install the nDAC component and register its files and communiations data. Maybe your panel device is looking to install nDAC on its host. It looks like it could be the navigraph chart product (navigraph download aeronautical charts maybe). If you have done this then possibly the incorrect folder has been set up in your paths. As Ray stated RC would not be looking for this.

Are you using RC on a client to an FS host or your where your Saitek Panel is located? Check your firewall so these devices are full trusted network components.

Hi Guys,

Well this is where I'm at ............  

1)  Completely uninstalled Navigraph   (and ALL its files)

2)  Radar Contact 4, now opens as expected   (No network resource that is unavailable, msi file etc)

3)  Removed ALL Saitek drivers and disabled Saitek Radio panel

4)  Re installed FSUIPC4, Version 4.943

5)  Started FSX first, then RC4  (No other 3rd party FSX programs)

Sat on taxiway at EGCC in default Cessna  and RC4 red text display window was displayed as expected.  HOWEVER I could not interact with RC4 ...............when I pressed C1 (Ground) or C2 (ATIS) or MAIN - 0,   on my keyboard nothing happens.

Ive tried it several times in Window mode and non window mode,  but I cannot get RC4 to react to my keyboard (RC4 window displayed in FSX will not disappear or reappear when the ( ' key is pressed)

Ray, Ronzie ,  for your info I've only installed PMDG 777 and Flight Planner X over the last 6 months as well as Saitek Radio Panel Drivers.

Any ideas?

My specs are:  Windows 7 64bit, i7 2600K, 8gb ram, Nvidia GTX 590         (Running:  FSX, RC4 only)

Thanks again for your Help, Advice and Patience

John

Sat on taxiway at EGCC in default Cessna and RC4 red text display window was displayed as expected. HOWEVER I could not interact with RC4 ...............when I pressed C1 (Ground) or C2 (ATIS) or MAIN - 0, on my keyboard nothing happens.

Ive tried it several times in Window mode and non window mode, but I cannot get RC4 to react to my keyboard (RC4 window displayed in FSX will not disappear or reappear when the ( ' key is pressed)

John,

Can you take a screen shot of your keyboard settings please? You'll need a Dropbox account (or equivalent) to host the image that can then be linked to here.

When you say you press C1 or C2 can you elaborate on exactly what keys you are pressing? This is a screenshot of my RC keyboard settings.

RC_keyboard.jpg

I'd expect yours to be very similar except for Menu Selection 2 which I have customised.

One tip. For ATIS you can just tune the frequency into COM1 and it will start playing automatically. No need to press the key combo for that one. If it fails to play then for whatever reason you don't have that frequency set in COM1.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

When in FSX at EGCC........  in the RC4 window are 2 frequencies + Main Menu selection

C1 - CLR by CD on 12170
C2 - WX Brf on 12817

Main-0

In the past to select either freq I've pressed CONTROL + 1 or CONTROL + 2 respectively from my keyboard and this action has tuned either Clearance Delivery or ATIS.

Sorry I also forgot to mention that My set-up is just on 1 PC and I'm NOT using WideFS config.

Please be aware Ray that I've disconnected my Radio Panel, So i'm only using RC4 via PC keyboard inputs.

Ray I cannot find away of attaching an image of my RC4 keyboard Config settings (default I think).  Have AVSIM now withdrawn the Attachment feature to the Post editor?  I don't wish to set up any more accounts (dropbox) unless I have to.

Kind Regards
John

John,

Those looks okay so I would expect that when you press Ctrl+2 you will hear EGCC ATIS very soon afterwards. If you don't try switching to a default aircraft and bring up the radio stack. Check if the correct frequency is shown on COM 1. if it isn't that would be odd. Make sure FSX has the focus when you press those keys.

Everything running on one PC makes life easier.

Did this used to work? If so what has changed? Adding Saitek Radio Stack shouldn't affect things.

AvSim cannot host images any more so users need an external storage utility like Dropbox. Joining is painless and you get plenty of free space. It helps to show us how you have things setup like your Options screen.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi, just as a confirmation, I am using RC4 with Saitek Radio panels without any problems. But I never used the Saitek drivers, I am on SPAD since day one.

On my system the CRTL+Button combo does not work at all in RC4 btw. I have to tune the frequency, then the number keys will do the trick - without pressing CRTL - just like they do with the default ATC window.

LORBY-SI

Ray, guys

1)  Verified FSX radios and FSX ATC functioned correctly (They do)

2)  Decided to check FSUIPC4 from the FSX pull-down menu when in FSX is started (in Flight)

3)  Noticed that the:  "Hide all single line messages"  was NOT checked  (so I checked the box as instructed in RC4 manual)

4)  Started FSX and RC4 and now observed RC4 Freq window reacting to my keyboard inputs (Ctl 1 / Ctrl 2 etc) the text in the window      blinked every time I selected C1 or C2 on my keyboard.

5)  Quit FSX  ................. and had a closer look at ALL the settings in my Rc4 Main APP/Window

6)  In the GENERAL window, I decided to change the Aircraft/Type to ACE and also Changed my Pilot voice from Bret Delana to Dean Barry QUIT RC4

7)  Restarted FSX and Rc4 with the default Cessna 172 parked at EGCC and Now RC4 works perfectly with my Keyboard inputs!!!

I have no idea what caused RC4 to start working (whether it was the change of Aircraft or Pilot voice) but it appears it was either in a loop or conflicting with something.  Anyway I'll play around with it for a while and see if I can get to the bottom of this mystery.

Just a couple of things:

a)  in my FSX settings / control / under buttons ..... I appear to have TWO identical lines for the ATC windows display/hide keyboard selection   (Scroll Lock and ' )  Could someone please verify if you have the same thing in your FSX settings.

Nuitkati,     I've just downloaded SPADneXt drivers, so I'll have a look at them and there compatibility for my Saitek Radio Panel.

Thanks again for ALL your help and suggestions,  Ill report back with my findings.

Many Thanks

John

Hi John,

Sounds like you've sorted the problem. I suspect Suppress Single Line not being enabled was the key as it needs to be as advised by JD here. http://www.avsim.com/topic/272752-fsuipc-widefs-showtext-settings-for-rc-43/

When you're happy with things then reinstate the Saitek Radio Panel and all will be well I hope.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Nuitkati, I've just downloaded SPADneXt drivers, so I'll have a look at them and there compatibility for my Saitek Radio Panel.

Don't know about SPADNext, this AFAIK is a new product from a different guy. I have the freeware version which works very well.

http://fstools.weebly.com/

LORBY-SI