Sign in to follow this  
Grahm

Double Chime @ 10K ft.

I know the NGX chimes once at 10K ft. Why not a double chime crossing 10K ft that most airlines use?

Michael Warren

My understanding is that the chime you here in the NGX passing 10000ft only occurs if you have the seat belt sign switch in the auto position. So what your hearing is actually the seat belt signs going on or off which is normally a single chime. It's not the double chime usually associated with the passing 10000ft notification for the flight attendants.

Dave

Dave Paige

Ahhh ok. But noway to incorporate the double chime crossing 10K? I know you can manually but that takes the fun out of it.

Ahhh ok. But noway to incorporate the double chime crossing 10K? I know you can manually but that takes the fun out of it.

Having a chime ding twice vs once is fun?

You know, when EVERYTHING gets automated, there's no need for a pilot, right?

Matt Cee

You know, I always assumed that chime in the ngx was an attempt to simulate the 10,000ft bell. But I've never once touched the seat belt sign in this sim; I'll bet it defaults to auto, doesn't it? Which means that chime is the seat belt sign turning off, like Dave said. Which is just another example of the hundreds of times this thing has impressed me with its realism in ways I never would have expected anyone to take the time to model. Nice!

Andrew Crowley

I thought the double chime was to notify the cabin crew to prepare for landing?

Brian Thomas

WW1618.png

I thought the double chime was to notify the cabin crew to prepare for landing?

It can be used for lots of situations, and depends on airline procedures. On many airlines in the US, the chime goes off 2-3 times to let the flight attendants know that it's safe to get up from their seats, and then (as you stated) again to let flight attendants know to prepare for landing.

Jon Skiffington

As Skiff said, it depends on airline SOPs.

So, there's Regulations that your country or governing body adheres to, and there's Boeing procedures that may (or may not!) be adhered to, and there's company-specific Standard Operating Procedures (which the governing body approves).

If your airline says 5 chimes to get up, 6 to prep for landing, 7 for tea, and 8 for coffee, and your SOP gets approval, then that's what it is. (Basically some Old Crusty Pilot from log-dead airline ABC decided that's how it should be done and Son of Old Crusty Pilot is going to carry on the tradition at airline XYZ.)

Matt Cee

Indeed, you'd be surprised how how specific airlines do it. One carrier I'm familiar with would toggle the no smoking sign at 10k, resulting a double chime, but for landing would push the "ATDT CALL" button (a double chime) twice, for a total of 4 chimes. Why that way? Who knows.

In addition each airline will have their own way of communicating security issues between cabin crew and the cockpit, but that's stuff you won't find on the internet. 

Joe Sherrill

and 8 for coffee

Chime, chime, chime, chime, chime, chime, chime, chime. I will have a black coffee. please.

You can replace the recording with your own, just find the wav file and replace that's what I did to get rid of the loud fuel pump sounds, replaced them with a wav file that was silent - David Lee