Sign in to follow this  
Louis8

Using your full name

One thing i really like about this place is you have to use your name . There's a pile of forums out there and so many don't use there name and you don't know who your talking to . Many times i won't answer a post cause answering to a guy who calls himself some thing like -B-52 bomber- does nothing for me .Maybe its just me but i have a major problem with it . I have where i live in my profile -i'm not a criminal and have nothing to hide 

"Truth has no reason to hide."

I agree that it is highly annoying to see so many who don't have their name in their profile.  My name is my given name, although I could have gone with my many aliases, such as:

Rip Steakface

Dirk Hardpeck

Crud Bonemeal

Brick Hardmeat

Slate Fistcrunch

Bob Johnson...oh wait.... :LMAO:

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

One thing i really like about this place is you have to use your name . There's a pile of forums out there and so many don't use there name and you don't know who your talking to . Many times i won't answer a post cause answering to a guy who calls himself some thing like -B-52 bomber- does nothing for me .Maybe its just me but i have a major problem with it . I have where i live in my profile -i'm not a criminal and have nothing to hide

+1.  Very well said!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I thought of saying that signing a post with your real names tends to make you think twice about what you write but it doesn't seem applicable to everyone!  :Tounge:

Also I agree that I like knowing at the least the real first name of the person I'm answering to in a post.

It looks to me more natural to answer "Hi Mike," than "Hi B-52,"... (fictionous examples).

It is a rather serious forum and not some 13 year old average video game forum.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

It looks to me more natural to answer "Hi Mike," than "Hi B-52,"

That one would still be quite easy (at least you know what a B-52 is).

Try writing 'Hi, 273083727cvbn46  ' (a real example from another forum)! :spiteful:

Of course I also like the idea of using real names and, generally, genuine info.

I realise you can't force people to it, but I have a feeling it makes conversations in this all-in-all-virtual world more direct and reliable.

I don't unless required and I then put it in my artwork that I use for a signature. That way it will less likely be picked up by some hacker somewhere. Go to any internet security site and read about what they say can happen if you put to much personal info out on the great ol' world wide net.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

I don't unless required and I then put it in my artwork that I use for a signature. That way it will less likely be picked up by some hacker somewhere. Go to any internet security site and read about what they say can happen if you put to much personal info out on the great ol' world wide net.

I hate to say it but if a hacker really wanted to get to you, they would, which harkens a wonderful quote:

"Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you."

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I hate to say it but if a hacker really wanted to get to you, they would, which harkens a wonderful quote:

"Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you."

-Jim

True, but don't make it easy for them. Hackers have no reason to want to hack any of us, but a large collection of names easily scraped off a forum might come in handy. I'm with Paul, my name is in my signature artwork. I preferred anonymity at first, but complied with the rule. Now it doesn't bother me and it's much friendlier to answer people be name. As a result I routinely sign my name on other sim forums too.

Full names aren't an intrusion despite what some people claim (usually hinting at some highly secretive occupation where google could somehow blow their cover). For most of us, googling our names will come up with numerous different people so you are relatively anonymous anyway. However if a celebrity were to get into simming and join this forum you could understand if they didn't use their public name to avoid unwanted attention.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Try looking at this forum with a mobile device. I don't get to see names or signatures. I only know jmorvay1971 is Jim because he added it to his post. Even then I wouldn't know if it wasn't.

Roy

At the start i was a bit hesitant about it, but it doesn't bother me now.  It makes sense 

I really do NOT like it. It irks me actually.

However, we must comply...

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

For me it depends on the forum or community.

Honestly? I'm not a fan, but I feel comfortable enough here and enables me to participate in these forums. However, there are some forums and communities I'd never share any personal details on, no questions asked.

I am one of the people who really don't like that rule. I don't mind giving my first name but I use a shortened nickname of my last name because my last name is very unique (if you meet anyone with my last name then I can guarantee I am related to them) and it would be very easy to find lots of results for me if you Googled my first and last name. The line of work I am in it would just be a very bad idea to put my full last name out on the internet so I try to minimize how many places I post it on.

Samuel Scully