Sign in to follow this  
TheNerd

Where Should I Install P3D?

Hello again Avsim!

I'm currently in the process of re-installing P3D 2.5 after experiencing some FSUIPC and RAAS related crashes. I've always installed my flight Sims on my only drive but never in the x86 folder. Should I continue doing this or is it OK to leave it in the default location the installer gives.

Thanks,

Guest JustanotherPilot

I have a dedicated 1TB SSHD hardrive .....E:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3d v2 and E:\Microsoft Games\FSX directories. I have FSX:SE and X-Plane in Steam on another hardrive. Keeping the FSX's separate seems to avoid any conflicts.

I should continue doing that: the drive doesn't matter that much, but just don't install into the default folder. I have P3D in D:\Prepar3d v2

I can only support J van E`s posting, keep your FS outside the default folder C:\Program Files (x86) 

Jack

To save trouble down the road - install outside the default folder. If you know what you are doing and how to properly set permissions etc. etc you could leave it default but IMHO there is no benefit to using the default folder.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I recommend installing P3Dv2 to its default location in program files. Remember that many addon aircraft, like the PMDG 737, install folders with read/write files under that location. So before installing addons or doing anything else, using Explorer I simply add the permissions Write and Modify to the "Users(MyPC\Users)" group on that location.

Remember that making a new folder inherits the permissions of the user, so if you do that or install to a different drive, add the permissions for the Users group there too. Installing outside of Program Files merely creates a different set of possibilities for problems down the line.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Steve - I agree and disagree.  :)  In theory and in practice with a savvy user you are correct. In practice especially with a less than savvy user, I really think it's a ticking time bomb. *IF* the permissions are wrong and *IF* a program tries to access a specific file one could get into trouble. The problem becomes worse when the error usually gives no real clue as to the source of the problem.

That is my main reason for telling people to avoid the default folder.  It may not cause problems but better safe than sorry.

Sadly I think many people just prefer the plug and play method - install it and run. Worrying about permissions and policies are something they avoid.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I install to a custom for one reason; shorter paths!

Face it, typing E:\FSX or F:\P3Dv2 is about as short a path as one could have! :db:

That's one heck of a lot better that some monstrosity like this!

G:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX
-or worse-
G:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\Beech_King_Air_350i Milviz\panel

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

G:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX

-or worse-

G:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\Beech_King_Air_350i Milviz\panel

I have to admit...this was my primary motivator to give the install a nice short path...  :wink:

I installed mine in default and if you know how permissions work which is pretty simple, I have had zero problems. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Setting the required permissions, adding Write and Modify to the Users group on the Program Files folder, couldn't be simpler:

P3DUsersGroup.jpg

In Explorer, right-click and from the popup menu, choose "Properties" -> select "Security" tab -> click "Edit" button -> click on "Users(MyComputer\Users)" group in top box -> add permissions "Write" and "Modify" -> press OK...

So install it in the default folder and just change the permissions? This forum is always divided  :lol:

I operate under the ASSUMPTION that most people, NOT ALL, who ask where should I install xyz - don't really have a clue about permissions, ownership, policies, etc anyway. They are SAFER just installing to x:\P3D. Even though it's simple to some, even the easy method posted above can be confusing to some. Consider how many people not only cannot FIND their P3D.CFG file they can't find ANY .ccg files (filetypes off).

I say go with simple - fewer problems.

Vic

Where should I install x,y, or z? Why not the place the installer suggests? The place Microsoft invented for Windows apps, and installers expect to use? Checking the Write box is fairly simple, the instructions not very hard, and don't need to be understood, and then only required because some apps insist on putting read/write files in a read only place.

Going back to my initial statement, I talked about making a directory, and how that directory inherits the permissions of the owner. That's going to take care of the permissions to write there, *for the owner*. However, that folder with the app installed into it still needs permissions for others, now explaining that to the "less than savvy" sim pilot is harder. Other problems surface later on, especially if the profile is renewed.

So install it in the default folder and just change the permissions?

Exactly! Why carpet the whole world when you can wear slippers.

Steve, one of the first things I do with any 'new' computer system is to make myself the absolute "owner" with all permissions except that of a "Super Administrator." Very rarely do I need that much control! :wink:

Nonetheless, I still much prefer short paths. :P

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator