Sign in to follow this  
Teejay

Help on downloading a freeware livery for PMDG 737NGX

Hi,

I recently purchased FSX Steam Edition and PMDG 737NGX.  I have downloaded a third party Ryanair livery which says it is for the 737NGX. The files are sitting in my downloads folder and one of them is a texture.ptp file and it has the icon shown in the PMDG operations centre. If I click on the file it opens up the PMDG ops centre. I don't know where to go from there because the ops centre manual (page 25) says I just have to click on a green "add to" button and a dialogue box will appear. I should then go to the folder where the livery file is held and add it. Problem is when I click on Livery Manager my version is not like that shown in the manual. It does not have the green add button. Can anyone explain this? I really want a Ryanair livery so I can fly a short route Manchester to Dublin.

Thanks

Trevor Simpson

Do you have a Livery Manager or Operations Center on your computer? Which one is it? It sounds like you might not have the current version of the NGX.

Hi Michael

I only purchased the NGX about 3 weeks ago, so I assume it is the current version. I have the Operations Centre within which there is the Livery Manager. They are not two separate things.

Thanks

Trevor Simpson

This should be explained in the manual. You open the operations center, then on the dropdown box on the left click the 737 ngx. Then livery manager then "add livery" and find the ptp file and open. it will then add itself to the correct 737 model and you can close the op center and start fsx. it will be there -David Lee

Hi 777200LRF (sorry, but you haven't shown your name.)

Thanks for your reply. I have read the manual and followed it to the letter. The problem, as explained in my original question, is that I do not have the green "add livery" button when I open the Livery Manager page.

I wonder if the PMDG 737NGX for the steam version does not have the option to install third party liveries. That would not make sense though because that is what the Livery Manager is for. The Livery Downloader is used to download PMDG liveries.

I just don't understand why there is no "add livery" button when I open the Livery Manager.

Trevor Simpson

I just don't understand why there is no "add livery" button when I open the Livery Manager.

You should have the green add and red delete buttons for NGX-SE, I just double checked mine and they are there.  The fact that the OC recognizes that you have NGX-SE installed is confirmed by the fact that you have the Livery Manager available in the menu... so, maybe this is just an issue of running things as administrator?  Otherwise, a ticket a PMDG Product Support might be in order (  http://support.precisionmanuals.com) Note that support accounts are separate from sales accounts so you may have to create one to start the ticket.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thank you Dan.

Well I definitely do not have the green and red buttons. Before I go to PMDG support, could you please explain more about "maybe this is just an issue of running things as administrator". Are you saying I should be running as administrator? There are four desktops on our family computer, one each for myself, wife and two sons. I think we all have administrator privileges, but do I need to check anything else to make sure I am actually running the program as an administrator?

Trevor Simpson

anything else to make sure I am actually running the program as an administrator?

On the PMDG Operations Center icon right click, a drop down menu will appear with Run As Administrator as one of the selections. Left click on that and you are assured that you are running the program as administrator.

Thanks Michael,

I selected run as administrator, but it didn't make any difference. However, every time I have opened the Ops Centre I have had a window pop up telling me that it didn't support high DPI scaling, or something to that effect which I didn't really understand. I just ignored it and still got into the Ops Centre OK. This time I decided maybe I ought to stop this message coming up, so I changed the size of the text on my screen ( which made all the icons much larger than would seem normal). But hey presto! next time I opened up Livery Manager in the Ops Centre the green and red buttons were there. So it was just a screen display issue. I have now successfully installed the Ryanair livery. Only remaining issue was that the FSX opening screen was so large that the Fly Now button was off screen. I changed the screen display back to how I had it originally and can now fly (erm learn to fly) the 737. Lesson learned is not to ignore pop up messages just because I don't understand them. Anyway, thanks to all you guys for your help. There are lots more questions come to mind already as I learn to fly the aircraft. But I promise to read as many of the 3000+ pages of the manual as I can before asking too many dumb question on here.

Trevor Simpson 

There are lots more questions come to mind already as I learn to fly the aircraft. But I promise to read as many of the 3000+ pages of the manual as I can before asking too many dumb question on here.

Just read the Introduction and fly the tutorials... as for the rest of the documentation it's a good start just knowing how to find information.

The screen issue doesn't seem right to me.... make sure you are using 96 DPI setting (default). You can use large or small icons as you wish but the screen resolution can effect many things in odd ways.

Dan Downs KCRP

The screen issue doesn't seem right to me

Dan

I have had this happen before on a second computer with FSX, NGX, and the T7. I have the display set at medium and for the OC to work correctly the display needs be set at small (default) probably the 96 DPI you are talking about, Once the liveries are installed, the display can be reset to medium but all fonts, sizes, menus, border padding, messages, etc. are changed to default. However, Windows Color and Metrics can be used to restore these items to you preference, FSX does operate at a medium display but the OC won't.