Sign in to follow this  
SAAB340

Check that Runtime Broker doesn't reduce your performance

I'd like to share an experience I've had after upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 on my Surface PRO 3. A bit of googling has shown me that I'm not alone having this problem, but far from all systems are affected.

I don't use FSX on my Surface but if this problem was to happen on a FSX system I realise that, by the way FSX works, it has the potential for reduced performance.

I first became aware of the problem as I noticed that the fan on board the Surface started spinning way more often after the upgrade, and I also felt like i wasn't getting as long battery life out of it. That prompted me to have a look in Task manager. There I could clearly see that the Windows process Runtime Broker was eating about a core load of CPU cycles. End task didn't cure the problem as it soon restarted.

TipsOn.jpg?dl=0

A bit of googling later and I found more people with the same symptoms and also a solution that worked for me. It's very simple and it just involves switching off "Show me tips about Windows" under Settings/System/Notifications & actions.

TipsOff.jpg?dl=0

I only became aware of this problem as I could hear the extra CPU load from the fan spinning up on the Surface and notice the extra power use due to the quicker battery drain. On a desktop I wouldn't have these clues. So I thought I'd share it here so people can check in Task manager if their Windows 10 systems are affected.

The last few Windows updates haven't solved the problem,so far, but hopefully an update in the future will. In the meanwhile I can toggle on and off one core worth of CPU load with the "Show me tips about Windows" switch. 

I have a SP3 with W10 Pro and I've never had the fan get loud "early on" in use.

I have multiple tabs of Chrome open and the fan still won't get loud. It only gets loud if I have multiple programs opened that are CPU intensive.

Out of curiousity, which SP3 do you have? Mine is the 128GB i5 version.

I've got the same 128GB i5 version.

As you say, its normally either dead silent or very quiet. A very nice piece of kit.

I am pleased to report that Microsoft seem to have patched the issue about a week ago. Toggling "Show tips about Windows" on, doesn't induce a lot of CPU load for me any more. I've been checking the issue regularly and up until a week ago it was an immediate CPU load toggle switch. Have had it active again since with no re-occurrence.