Sign in to follow this  
scotchegg

Upgrade to Windows 10?

My gaming rig is doing fine with Windows 7 so I'm only really interested in 10 if there's performance improvements to be had. Current gaming is split between X-Plane, Elite Dangerous, GTAV, IL2BOS, Witcher 3. i2500K OC, GTS770 4GB, 16GB RAM.

Would things speed up a bit with Windows 10? 

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Love Windows 10.  ZERO PROBLEMS.

Stan

I saw no difference in flight sim performance, after upgrading from Win 8.1 to Win 10.

FOR ME, Win 10 is a bit faster then Win 7 was.

I think that most people that do a fresh install of windows 10 would get better performance if they did a fresh install of any windows OS. I have not read about one credible bench mark test of performance increases with Windows 10. I have read of some people installing 10 and having all kinds of grief and having to roll back to 7 or 8, or having to reinstall programs, or having driver issues. To me, it's not worth the gamble at this point in time. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

No issues here, and Windows 10 feels a little more lively.

However, that my be due to updating after setting Windows 7 OS to boot in "clean mode". No Adobe, Intel update, etc vampire services were/are allowed to run. Liked it so much I left it in clean mode.

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

I would say negligible or no performance gain in FSX however Windows 10 is much lighter, less HD space, overall better performance and easy to use compared to 7 or 8. I upgraded all my machines and very happy with it.

I did a clean install from a 4 GB flash drive and impressed the installer is under 4 GB. After installed it is only taking up 14 GB, so that saves a lot of Solid State Drive space for other things.

I would say move forward now while it is free. Even if you go back to 7 at least you got a free Digital Licence Key registered to your PC that can be used for free again down the road. They do new keys now so you just have to upgrade once to get your free registration

Matthew Kane

some of us had to revert to Windows 7 due to issues with Saitek Yokes and Pedals and lack of dedicated Saitek Win 10 drivers. May only be a factor if you plug the devices in to fly and then unplug them to clear your desk. i.e. hotswap.  I had to remember to boot my system down in order to unplug them. 

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I'm hanging onto windows 7 aslong as i can. Infact i totally forgot about OS10 untill i seen this haha! Let other peopl install it and report problems later in the future to come. Don't hurry into anything. You will not have a crash free FSX or any sim or have better performance.

Vernon Howells

Windows 10 here. I was already on a pretty beefy machine, but FS still feels a bit more lively, and Win10 overall definitely feels faster at just about everything, from boot up to loading programs. I just did an upgrade, not a clean install.

Why not just do an update, see how you like it and how things work? It's a very quick and painless process to roll back to Win 7 within 30 days if you don't like it (you can of course go back to Win7 even after 30 days, it's just not quite as quick). The upgrade process itself is very quick and you lose nothing by rolling back other than a few minutes of your time. 

Win8 was the improvement in core graphics performance and networking over Win7. So Win7 to Win10 about the same. However Win10 corrects some problems. For example my stack of Saitek was a problem with Win8.1 and I had the APME registry setting disabled on each to get them working properly. After upgrading to Win10 those settings were reverted, and I found I no longer need them on my hardware. A warning though that the Win10 upgrade also tries to reset anomalies in other areas, including security and permissions. If you've been messing with that you might find something doesn't work after upgrading to Win10.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Nothing but struggles here had to revert back win 7.  Really wanted it to work though.

Darcy

I think Win10 works great with P3D 2.5, have had no compatibility issues with numerous aircraft, sceneries and add-ons.

Jeff Callender

Tried Windows 10 but had to revert back to 7.  Couldn't fix a mouse issue that I had and there isn't a version of Windows Aero that works in the new OS.  I use Aero in conjunction with pseudo full-screen which boosts my FPS.

\Robert Hamlich/