Sign in to follow this  
Ianrivaldosmith

Minefield

So, I installed Prepar3d 2.5 (to give it a shot, see what I am missing)

I am an X-plane 10 user..... Mainly anyways..... used FSX years ago...

I am lost in a minefield of tweaks found  in the forum and settings.

Basically I have no idea if I should be applying tweaks? Should I be usind DSR? Should I be using nvidia inspector, and if yes, what settings?

What should my in sim settings be? frames locked or not? 

My stsem is:-

Nvidia geforce GTX 770 4GB

I5 4670K @4ghzx

16GB RAM

27" monitor 

Thanks

Ian

P.s What addons should I be using for realistic ground textures, and whats the best weather generator? This seems like an awful lot of work....

It´s very easy, there is NO need for tweaks in P3D v2.5. In fact it´s a known fact that tweaking P3D will ruin your install and decrease performance. 

Fps set to unlimited seems to work bes for most people.

I use ORBX and can recommend it. I also use Active Sky Next for weather and REX4 Texture Direct as a complement to ORBX. What do you mean by "This seems like an awful lot of work...."?

Jack

No tweaks, especially not until you get settled on a frame rate with sliders that fit your machine.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

I started with the settings  at default and adjusted from there. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

As usual, it depends on your system. You have to test the sim for best performance with different settings. Here is a link for a "start" setting.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/101569-p3d-v25-rex-essential-active-sky-next-visibility-sweetfx-reshade-settings/?hl=nvidia#entry917758

Didn´t you try different settings in XP for best performance?

Jack

I wouldn't look at that link... That guy uses some odd and not standard settings which a lot of users wouldn't like. I wouldn't call that start settings.

I would suggest no tweaks at all and start with the settings which you get by default (which are based on your PC) and then change settings to your liking, like higher scenery settings, or remove things you don't need. Simple as that.

I agree with all the above - don't take much notice of that link, certainly not for starting out. You don't need any of that.

By the way, I have used xplane along side for years and continuously wish for it to improve in usability and completeness so I'm always baffled when people say prepar3d is too complicated. I desperately want xplane to be better, it's been so close for years and it is on the cusp of doing it. That's a whole other argument though. :)

I could tell you my settings which give amazing performance with lots of add ons but it would have absolutely no bearing on what you have.

With your system try everything maxed out. Don't waste your time with dsr, ni or any tweaks yet. No harm in giving it a go and see what happens. Turn things down if needed.

Personally I use asn for weather as I love the historic option in it. For scenery I use orbx, it is pricey though. This is where xplane has an advantage-great add on scenery for free!

Far too much tweaking and fiddling and old wives tales going on around prepar3d. People apply old fsx knowledge that is very out of date.

Chris

Far too much tweaking and fiddling and old wives tales going on around prepar3d. People apply old fsx knowledge that is very out of date.

I agree, kind of like trying to repair  a modern day car, with a model T repair manual. 

Edited by n4gix
Removed excessive quote. Again.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

yeah, but it seems X-plane is a lot easier to configure......

No, it isn't. I never got X-Plane to function well on my system.

Each sim has strengths and weaknesses... but neither is superior in configuring efforts. As example... controllers in X-Plane is a long process... in Prepar3D they're assigned by default. Graphics in X-Plane never worked well on my system... could never get it to perform. But, doesn't mean X-Plane's horrible or anything... just not like Prepar3D. :)

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69