Sign in to follow this  
Demious

Controllers not always connecting at startup

I keep having problems with controllers and keyboard not connecting at startup of the computer. Which that are is random, one time it's my rudder and everything else works fine, the next time it can be my keyboard or VRI T&T and everything else works fine, and another time it can be the hubs that connect my panels...

Sometimes it helps to disconnect the failing device and Windows gives the disconnect beep and the connect beep when plugging in again, but it's not always certain the device is indeed connected, even though I hear the beep telling me it is.

I reinstalled drivers for USB, as well as for the devices, but this didnt make any difference. Mostly I have to restart the computer and hope for the best, but every startup is a gamble and I have to see what is and isnt connected and if I can reconnect, or have to restart again.

Some help would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Maarten

Are you using a Laptop? Also, Are you using a USB Hub?

This used to happen to me because the USB hub didn't have enough power from the USB port to power on all these devices, so I got a USB that has it's own power supply!

Hope this helps.

No I'm not using a laptop and the hubs I use are self-powered, so that shouldnt be the problem.

Also, everything has been working properly before, it started after changing my motherboard from an Asus z87-k, to an Asus z97-pro

System specs are on my profile, if anyone is wondering about what I'm using. ;)

Cheers!

Maarten

The only way I've found to truly eliminate USB controller disconnects/non-connects, etc, in Windows, and even in Windows 10, is to painstakingly search the registry for any controllers with the key "EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled = 1"

Switch that to zero. Make sure in Device Manager each controller is set to NOT shut off to save power. Restart and you should get solidly-connected USB devices.

Windows will delete those registry tweaks, however, when you do any big OS update, so you'll have to redo the registry tweaks whenever that happens. Otherwise, I haven't had a USB problem since.

Disabling the xHCI Controller in the USB Configuration section of my BIOS solved the problem, for anyone else with similar issues