Sign in to follow this  
sgtozzie

FSX Tweaks and Nvidia Inspector Settings

Hi All,

It's my first time asking on a question here, I am somehow new to the FSX world. Sorry if I posted in the wrong section but I don't think this qualifies as hardware.

Getting down to business, so there are millions of videos and forms about how to tweak your FSX and Nvidia card settings to the high FPS. Most of which limit the video card or CPU to increase frame rate.

I just built a new computer 4790K, OC to 4.7 ghz, 16GB @2400 ram, Nvidia Titan X card (12GB). So I went to one of these "Tweak Videos" and followed the instructions then launched FSX SE, to my surprise I got FPS: 25 to 30 and when looking around the PMDG 777 VC, it can drop down to 8 FPS!

So I decided to take matters to my own hand and went and changed some of the settings in the Nvidia inspector. For example I had the FPS limiter to 30 (As per the video I watched) and I had prerendered frames @ 3. So I changed them to 50 FPS and 8 prerendered frames. 

To my surprise, my FPS jumped up to 50 FPS and drops to 30 while looking around!! So I realized that all these videos and forums talk about getting high FPS with low end systems. So why is there no guide (FSX and Nvidia Inspector) for high end systems??

Currently I feel like I bought a really fast car but the mechanic (These online tweak videos) are limiting my performance. 

Does anyone have a guide for high end systems for Nvidia inspector (I don't understand anything on there!)?

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance

There are only a few good guides, generally accepted.

1.My choice is xxxxxs guide, it works great with modern hardware. And it has Nvidia Inspector settigs too. You should get steady 30fps(locked) and smooth flight. Just google for "xxxxxxxxxxxx".

If you choose this guide, read it carefully and understand that some tweaks like TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096 and LOD_RADIUS=6.500000 are just optional, you can leave TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD to default 1024, ot set it to 2048 or 4096. The last one will increase risk of OOM's. Same with Lod Radius. I have texture max load at 2048, and Lod Radius to default value. Never got a OOM. Also i'd leave TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT to default value(40), but you can try and see if you can get some positive things on your system. 

All other tweaks should be applied like described there, and that's all. No combinations of tweaks from other guides.

With this one, I recommend tuning OS per "tweakhound" guide, juste google it.

2.Nick's N guide, look for Nick's "bible" in flight1 forums. I have a very negative experience with this one, but it seems to work for some people.

3. DX10 - it should be a specific forum here on AVSIM, i tried this a couple of times and i didn't liked it. But many people's use it - DX10 has better VAS management, but DX10 was only a preview in FSX, so you need to purchase dx10 fixer and folow some guides - paul j dx10 guide if i remember well.

hope this helps

The best guide currently available is the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide.  Tweaks are bad IMHO.  Modern computer systems can handle FSX/FSX-SE/P3D without so-called tweaks like Bufferpools, AffinityMask, etc., etc.  If you own a system prior to Sandy Bridge (a Pentium), then maybe Bojote's tweaks might help but definitely not xxxxx's (your system is definitely not an old Pentium system!!)  If anyone is looking for a perfectly configured system for FSX/FSX-SE/P3D/X-Plane, you will not find it.  What works great on my system, on Zeljko's, xxxxx's, NickN's, or any system may not work as well on another similar system (even with the exact same configurations such as BIOS settings, Windows, FSX.cfg, Nvidia settings).  Guides, such as NickN's, AVSIM's, xxxxx's, Bojote's are just that.  Guides.  We can suggest what we think are great settings but don't expect them to work well with your computer and FSX-SE setup.  I wish it were different.  FSX, FSX-SE, and P3D are all based on a really old software program from the year 2006/2007.  You can update the Microsoft Visuals and maybe the Microsoft.net that the original program used to help a little but it's not the total solution.  A complete update of the software is required.

So this is why AVSIM developed the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide.  It's basic with the recommended FSX.cfg and NI settings which work GREAT for me and many other members.  It even has most of the Scenery slider settings set to the max which was not possible several years ago (and without tweaking!!!).  It has some information on tweaking but does not recommend tweaking.  I personally have two tweaks - LOD_Radius 6.5 (to increase the level of detail further around my flight) and Texture_Max_Load 4096.  Many times I'll lower this to 2048 though as 2048 is HD too and uses less resources. 

The biggest problem today is the fact we use more resources than several years ago as we have faster computers.  Scenery and aircraft textures can now be rendered much faster with our modern systems.  Back a few years ago before Sandy Bridge chipsets, we had at the most 3GB of virtual address space and that was with us employing the /3GB switch.  Then came the 64 bit operating systems and we are now using 4GB's of virtual address space.  That's the max Windows will give a 32 bit application like FSX, FSX-SE, and P3D.  When that runs out, the application will crash and give you a message stating you have run out of memory (when in fact you just ran out of VAS).  So, when you pump your settings up high and tweak your system like me to a 6.5 LOD instead of the default 4.5 and the Texture_Max_Load to 4096 instead of the default 1024, you are depleting the available virtual address space much faster.  Throw in a bunch of eye-candy aircraft and eye-popping scenery at airports and awesome looking clouds and rain, and it won't take long for your system to crash. 

Bottom line.  Be careful when "tweaking".  Try to avoid it and lower your settings and you'll have a longer and more enjoyable flight session.

Best regards,

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thank you Jim and B247NG!

Will check out the Avsim guide and xxxxx's guide. I guess you keep trying until you find that sweet spot that gives good visuals and good FPS. I have to go through this dilemma every time I upgrade my system :)

Will let you know which one I prefer/ works best for me.

So this is why AVSIM developed the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide.  It's basic with the recommended FSX.cfg and NI settings which work GREAT for me and many other members.  It even has most of the Scenery slider settings set to the max which was not possible several years ago (and without tweaking!!!).  It has some information on tweaking but does not recommend tweaking.  I personally have two tweaks - LOD_Radius 6.5 (to increase the level of detail further around my flight) and Texture_Max_Load 4096.  Many times I'll lower this to 2048 though as 2048 is HD too and uses less resources. 

The AVSIM FSX Guide was great! Here are my FPS readings on PMDG 777-300ER

On Ground with Scenery

VC No pointer: 50 FPS

VC with Pointer: Lowest 35 FPS

In Air

50 to 60 FPS

I just have to install VPilot and UT2, so I can get back to Vatsim, hopefully it won't kill my FPS on Vatsim . I heard that VPilot is better than FSINN (FPS and AI Model matching). 

Also does port forwarding help with the FPS on Vatsim?

As with AI traffic programs, weather engines and tweaking  suggestions for frame rates there is no single one that is absolutely the best.  

All  of the guides mentioned have good suggestions.  You just have to experiment and determine what works best for you.

Ernest Pergrem

Agreed. But there are always Pros and Cons.

Like Fsinn can affect FPS/FSX performance as it runs within FSX but the good side that you can use to in full screen mode. VPilot runs outside FSX but you can't run it in full screen mode.

Hi Guys,

I wanna thank you all for the tips. I think I finally reached a point where I can sleep better at night. 

Here is the final result: https://youtu.be/soonphDfvdk

I lost texture and some blurriness because of the video editor and shadow play I guess, but overall I am getting smooth FPS 40 on ground with scenery and 60 in air even with dense clouds. :D

Merci beaucoup all!

Using NickN Guide from 2010 isn't it a bit to old ??

.sorry. but were do I find the AVSIM Guide, and is it up to date  ? 

Cheers 

Yair 

Thank you for the question and for the answers. I followed the avsim guide and bingo instant cure for low frames which went from 12-24 up to an almost constant 30fps, amazing. FSX acceleration with GTX970 GPU and I7-950 overclocked to 4.080Ghz all running on a Gigabyte X58A-UDR3 Motherboard. Again thanks.

catmar