Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Hyperthreading

Does P3D use hyperthreading, in other words would an i7 run P3D better than an i% because of the hyperthreading capability? 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

It is not a matter of "using HT" but getting increased performance with HT.

I believe it "uses" HT, just like FSX does, but most users get little to no value

out of that capability.

Bert

You are better off leaving HT-OFF and raising your overclock. For example you may overclock to 4.6 but with HT- ON with the increased heat you may only get 4.3/4.4 stable.

I had a 2600k that would be happy all day @ 4.8, so I left HT- Off as I saw no difference with any testing I tried. But if you already have an i-7 go ahead and try it, see what works for you.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

There's some good info from Steve Waite in here - I switched to HT on and have smoother operation.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/468195-p3d-and-hyperthreading/

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Unlike FSX, you should be able to see benefits in terrain paging with HT on (and potentially improved smoothness).

See what overclock you can push to with HT enabled, and give it a try on and off. 

You are better off leaving HT-OFF and raising your overclock. For example you may overclock to 4.6 but with HT- ON with the increased heat you may only get 4.3/4.4 stable.

I had a 2600k that would be happy all day @ 4.8, so I left HT- Off as I saw no difference with any testing I tried. But if you already have an i-7 go ahead and try it, see what works for you.

I believe this wisdom hasn't applied to the Haswell line (and assuming the Skylake line as well), but did apply to everything Sandy/Ivy-Bridge.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

I thought FSX has not been coded to use HT if so P3D should be the same. Here is a quote from another site.

"Intel Hyper Threading: FSX has no code to recognize or process logical core hyper thread. I don't know how many times I have read some 'guru' has come up with an assessment that FSX will make use of or runs better with hyper thread enabled. This person really needs a sign! The REAL terrain 'guru' Adam from Aces as well as Phil Taylor specified years ago that FSX does not support any logical core threading (hyper thread).

The reason you SEE logical core activity in the Windows CPU monitor window is because the physical cache is used for each logical (hyper thread) core. "logical" core means there is no 'physical' hardware core but the hardware cache in use is there, and, FSX is DUMB so a thread is spawned due to the physical cache in use, but the data is never processed and used by FSX!"

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

The HT is invisible to both FSX and P3d. FSX is only weakly multithreaded and only accesses a limited number of cores, whether physical or virtual. P3d will access as many cores as are available. For example, I have a dual Xeon system, with each processor having 6 physical  cores. I run with HT off, because there is no real advantage to HT, but with HT on, P3d uses all 24 "cores". It really doesn't help performance that much, because in P3d most of the CPU cores only load scenery.

FSX doesn't "use hyperthreading" and knows nothing about it, neither does P3D. In a nutshell, HT increases the efficiency of thread swapping on a core. It comes with a price, 2 logical processors per core sharing the throughput of that core. Because of that some apps may spawn threads that start up on LPs shared by the same core and so compete on that core for maximum throughput. Apps that might do that can be helped to avoid it with an Affinity Mask that moves on the next starting thread to the next core by blocking an LP of the first core. Some apps, FSX-SE for example, spawn threads that don't compete on an HT enabled system and don't need an AM. FSX and P3D spawn upwards of 40 threads, from the use of a multitude of system resources like networking and IO. HT enabled systems increase efficiency of handling many threads greatly, else it wouldn't exist. However, with the cost of extra HT hardware on chip, in terms of heat, there may be a trade off with HT disabled when looking for ultimate GHz. Even though FSX doesn't use HT, it's running on a system that can find benefit from HT and can improve performance of the sim overall.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

HT should always be off to allow for the highest, stable overclock unless an application specifically will use it. A higher overclock will always yield better performance in P3D/FSX because more processor cycles means more work can get done. HT allows for better multi-tasking but ultimately no matter how many threads exist, the processor can only do so much per cycle - HT doesn't change performance the same increasing the amount of memory doesn't.

Lawrence Ashworth

XhCuv5H.jpg

As Prepar3D moves further and further away from being CPU bound... this thread's posts are a plentitude of misinformation. Prepar3D v2.x and most especially v2.5 do extremely well with HT enabled.

This isn't FSX. Using FSX as an explanation for anything when discussing Prepar3D is of little value.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

As Prepar3D moves further and further away from being CPU bound... this thread's posts are a plentitude of misinformation. Prepar3D v2.x and most especially v2.5 do extremely well with HT enabled.

This isn't FSX. Using FSX as an explanation for anything when discussing Prepar3D is of little value.

I am glad to know the P3D has been recoded  to use HT, maybe I  should give a try,  my system with HT would give 16 cores.

Unfortunately my FSX-SE causes my main PC to crash with HT enabled it doesn't like it at all.

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

Actually it's probably your overclocking that's the source of the crash, but you probably don't want to hear that.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

+100.

Actually it's probably your overclocking that's the source of the crash, but you probably don't want to hear that.

I do want to hear all the info I can get :smile:  I think is part of the fun to try new setting. my OC has been solid for a long time, HT + my FSX not so good. Very curious to see if P3D  would do in my system with HT enable.