Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Hyperthreading

I'm building a new system based on a 6700k and when I found this thread I was hoping to get an answer to the question if P3DV2 benefits from having HT enabled but this thread was more about FSX/FSX SE and HT with and without using an AM.

So...before I start finding the best overclock it would be great to know if I should opt for HT enabled or disabled since that will change the overclocking procedure quite a bit.

Is there a definitive answer whether P3Dv2 benefits from having HT enabled or is it still mostly like FSX that you will get more bang for the buck ending up with a possibly higher overclock?

I did see some people saying P3Dv2 does perform better with HT enabled compared to FSX but would be nice to have it confirmed.

Richard Åsberg

it didn't affect the clock on my 3770. 4.7 was the best I could get wth or without HT. I currently have it ON and if there is a benefit, it is a small one that is not really noticeable to me.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Ok, thanks guys.

I think I'll keep HT enabled for now considering P3Dv3 around the corner, maybe that version will make better use of having HT enabled.

Then of course I can always change my mind further down the road if there's a reason for it.

Richard Åsberg

Well enjoy building you're new computer. Keep us informed on the progress.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Just finished the build tonight and ended up at 4.7 GHz with HT enabled.

Next up is installing P3D including all my addons...puh...

Will be very interesting though to see how my new rig performs when it comes to what I actually built it for...a smooth ride in the NGX :wink:

Richard Åsberg

@WebMaximus,

Please keep us posted on the new performance - was it difficult to get 4.7Ghz? What memory and timing did you use?

It would be great if you can provide some comparison to your old system and maybe just provide an FPS check with the default scene but with unlimited set instead of 20fps limit. Once you get your addons loaded and settings the way you want them, it is difficult to compare. You might be the first to report P3D results with a 6000 series i7.\

Thanks!!

Dave

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

Like always when you're overclocking a new rig it does take some of your time and patience.

The one problem I had first was I tried using the automated GameBoost feature that comes with my new MSI motherboard and although it works pretty good I wasn't comfortable with the voltage. So for that reason I decided to do the overclocking myself instead where the first thing I did was to disable any adaptive voltage offset stuff etc. Was a bit tricky though because I haven't been overclocking for a while now and there's not that much info around yet for Skylake so I guess I might be able to squeeze out a couple of more MHz if I only knew exactly what options to tune.

The memory I use is G.Skill 4x4GB 3000MHz CL15 and seems to work OK.

I'll try to remember checking the FPS I get in the default startup scene before I start installing my add-ons, will report back.

Richard Åsberg

Like always when you're overclocking a new rig it does take some of your time and patience.

The one problem I had first was I tried using the automated GameBoost feature that comes with my new MSI motherboard and although it works pretty good I wasn't comfortable with the voltage. So for that reason I decided to do the overclocking myself instead where the first thing I did was to disable any adaptive voltage offset stuff etc. Was a bit tricky though because I haven't been overclocking for a while now and there's not that much info around yet for Skylake so I guess I might be able to squeeze out a couple of more MHz if I only knew exactly what options to tune.

The memory I use is G.Skill 4x4GB 3000MHz CL15 and seems to work OK.

I'll try to remember checking the FPS I get in the default startup scene before I start installing my add-ons, will report back.

Hi, I have just built my new rig with Skylake i7 6700k on an Asus Hero viii Z170 mobo.

The Asus ROG overclock software gave me a stable 4.9, but I have backed her off to 4.6 currently until I understand the manual settings more. My HT is off currently.

It is my first time with P3D, but after a test quick flight last night with Orbx Global & Vector installed using P3D F35 it is looking impressive...

Just a couple of questions, what .cfg changes do I need to make? I can see I need the hyperthread line adding, but any other lines to add to .cfg?...many thanks for any feedback.

Rgds, Shaun

I have HT so use a AM the other "tweaks" I have/change/add are

[Main]
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.10 add
HIDEINFOTEXT=1 add

[TERRAIN]
SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=30 add
UseGlobalTerrainView=True change

[sIM]
OPTIMIZE_PARTS=1 change

[Display]
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=0.4 add
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=0.4 add
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=0.4 add
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=0.4 add

You need to turn off a lot of vector setting if like me just using global/vector. 

With 4cores with HT ON I did use AM 84 put after lots of testing I now use 254 with ASN kicked of core 0 works best for me.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

The Asus ROG overclock software gave me a stable 4.9, but I have backed her off to 4.6 currently until I understand the manual settings more. My HT is off currently.

4.9 is really good so consider yourself lucky you got a really good chip considering most reports seem to indicate that 4.6-4-7 is more likely what to expect.

Not sure what my CPU will do with HT disabled, maybe I'll give it a try but would like to give HT enabled a chance to see how P3D performs.

Richard Åsberg

4.9 is really good so consider yourself lucky you got a really good chip considering most reports seem to indicate that 4.6-4-7 is more likely what to expect.

Not sure what my CPU will do with HT disabled, maybe I'll give it a try but would like to give HT enabled a chance to see how P3D performs.

Well it's pretty straight forward to test, and see the results local which is the only benchmark that counts ;-)

Local here HT on...

André

Don't forget to change AM when changing between HT On/Off.

Remember that HT=On improves the PC, but GHz improves the sim. When HT is Off the chip is cooler because it's doing less work, so there's a trade off worth checking out if going for HT Off.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

With my 4770k with HT off I never bothered with setting an AM but maybe it's different with a new CPU and especially with HT on.

Will do some testing when time comes.

Richard Åsberg