Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Hyperthreading

Does P3D benefit from HT?

Indirectly. With HT enabled the overall performance of the PC rises.

However with HT enabled, beware that a MT app like P3D or FSX will simply spawn threads for the jobscheduler to place onto available LPs. It is a problem for P3D or FSX if the main thread shares a core with the next sim thread, to the tune of maybe around 8% lost to the sharing of the core with the second thread spawned. This happens because the second thread starts before the first thread is fully maxed, and the jobscheduler sees the next LP as little used. So we use an AM to mask an LP of the first core, say for 8LPs we can use an AM=254=(11,11,11,10) or 253=(11,11,11,01) which ensures the second thread starts on the second core.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Steve, as I have mentioned previously, I have used your advice with great success....you are an authority regarding this topic. Thanks for your continued support within Avsim forums. I'm sure many agree !

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

I fully agree, Steve's knowledge and his willingness to share it with all of us is highly appreciated!

Will try and play around with HT ON and OFF to see what will give me the best result.

Richard Åsberg

Thanks guys, I appreciate the mention!

So does P3D benefit from HT? Yes, but indirectly, and with the possibility of problems.

With HT enabled the overall performance of the PC rises.

However, with HT enabled beware that a MT app like P3D or FSX will simply spawn threads the jobscheduler places onto available LPs. It is a problem for P3D or FSX if the main thread shares a core with the next sim thread, to the tune of maybe around 8% or more lost to the sharing of the core throughput with the second thread spawned. This happens because the second thread starts before the first thread is fully maxed, and the jobscheduler sees the next LP as little used. So we use an AM to mask an LP of the first core, say for 8LPs (4 core HT=On) we can use an AM=254=(11,11,11,10) or 253=(11,11,11,01) which ensures the second thread starts on the second core.

We have to remember when we apply an AM to a app, other processes started by that app exist in the same AM (unless they purposely affect the outcome). If we apply AMs for other software, ensure to allow at least two LPs or cores, else thy can become blocked with their own supporting resources.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Finally,  let me know if Im OK : With a 6 core AM = 4094 ?  (1111 1111 1110)  

i9 13900K    HT off 32 Gb DDR5 @ 7.6  Ghz CL36 Asus Apex HERO Z790  W11 64 bits pro sur Kingston FURY Renegade 2 To,  DCS, P3D5 et MSFS sur 2 ème   Kingston FURY Renegade 2 To , RTX 3090 OC (GPU 2Ghz)  Alim Corsair 1500 W  Gold Ecran ACER  28 pouces  4K  G-SYNC
WC  AIO ARTIC liquid freezer II 420 Boitier Gigabyte 3d mars