Sign in to follow this  
Alec

Trying to achieve the Dream of Smooth Stutter Free Simming

Hey!

So I bought a GTX960, a card that will run my Sims at least until 2016 and my possible all New PC with Nvidia Pascal and New Intel CPUs, etc.

I can run P3D pretty well at 30+ Fps, but I have yet to achieve the dream of a smooth stutter free simming. I just never achieved that with FSX and Prepar3d. It goies well for 3-5 seconds then stutter. I'm in need of techniques to study and fix these!

First of all, is there any tool or way to detect a stutter other than by eye alone? I read something about recording your screen and playing it back later, is it effective/

Also, Vsync, etc, I never got to understand the best way to use it in P3D

Thanks guys!

Alexis Mefano

I run an i5 3570 and a GTX 760, so a bit weaker than your setup. 

Turn off tessellation. That seems to be the biggest cause of stuttering and low framerate.

Leave your P3D.cfg ALONE! The only tweak you really need is OPTIMIZE_PARTS=1

I keep v-sync at half, so my framerate won't go higher than 30fps. It also seems to make it a bit smoother.

Other than that, my settings are pretty high with scenery complexity on dense and autogen on normal (I don't fly low and slow). It runs at a smooth 30fps in almost every scenario in the Majestic Dash 8 Q400, even with REX 4 2048x2048 clouds and ASN. In fact, I just did a flight in a huge rain and thunder storm, but stayed above 25fps at all times. The only scenery I have framerate issues in is Latin VFR San Juan. I have no clue why though. Everybody else seems to run it just fine.

Hope this helps!  :smile:

For testing set texture resolution to 1m. Some patch or another introduced stutters for me with 7cm. I know 1m isn't ideal especially with addon scenery but it worked for me.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I'd like to hear from somebody who didn't OC'd his rig to 4.7 (so 4.6 or less) and doesn't run one or even two GTX980's (so 970 or less) and is using TrackIR if they can achieve smooth P3D experience. It's just not happening on my machine even with FPS beyond 40 (when using payware scenery and aircrafts). It appears that only situations where I can get steady 60FPS results in smooth flight (I'm talking mainly when looking sideways, turning and using TrackIR). Locking the frames at 30 doesn't work very well for me because when using TrackIR it really makes movements much more choppy and less fluent and even without TrackIR I get constant microstutters when turning and looking sideways. The confusion on optimal settings for vsync and locking vs. unlimited frames doesn't help either (some say lock, some say it's better unlimited, vsync on, off, adaptive, 1/2,...). I'm running 4790k @ 4.5 and GTX970. I'd also like to enjoy P3D, people say it's possible (even though we already determined that what's "smooth" can be very subjective) but I'm jet to get there.

Well I run a i7 2600 OC to 4.5 a gtx 970 and can never achieve smoothness other get or claim to get I have yet to see one video running smooth..

But are we asking to much? I cannot answer that, there are so many other games that run out there smooth as silk.

Difference FS in any disguise is an old programme..yes they are making improvements and these are good to see but performance will always be controversial.

I could always run FS at 30 very smooth with payware aircraft and airports weather etc.. But of late I now cannot do that just like the OP it now judders every 6 to 10 seconds for no apparent reason...never seen this in all the years I have had it, identical situation in P3d.

But run FSX in DX 10 no stutters....go figure.. And I have pulled the PC art and re install everything...

Like others I am hopeful one day we will see smooth flight sims but until that day we are where we are...and I am just not prepared to keep throwing money at it...

All,the best

Mark

I'm just wondering if all those people who claim they get a smooth experience and that their P3D is in fact running better than FSX have those monster machines, OCd to 4.7 or more and rocking two GTX980ti? In this case I do believe it's smooth because they can maintain 60FPS in almost all situations and I think that's the performance you have to achieve to get smoothness which compares to that in FSX running 1/2 refresh rate vsync which P3D is not capable off because there is no true full screen in P3D. So, instead of 30FPS in FSX you have to maintain 60 which you can't with payware stuff if you're not rocking the configuration mentioned above. That's what I think but since I'm no expert I may be wrong and maybe just my settings are not optimal and that's why I ask those questions and try to find some answers.

This is an interesting topic and one that I have spent an enormous amount of hours trying to conquer. I think it was SP1 in FSX when the dreaded micro stutters started for me. Anything other than 60FPS at 60Hz refresh rate and I have the micro stutters. To me it is one of the most immersion breaking, irritating aspects of the simulation. I know everyone is different but for me I find it hard to live with.

Through many iterations of processors, motherboards, graphics cards, you name it and the result was always the same. Anything other that 60FPS at 60Hz and the micro stutters reared their ugly head. So I kept at the simulation but at the same time never became totally involved.

Then I was reading a thread about NI and 1/2 refresh rate. Ok so I tried this as people were commenting on the smoothness and removal of the micro stutters. This was flight simulator heaven for me, what a smooth experience. I became more involved, purchased more scenery and aircraft and it was awesome.

Then along came P3D V2 and I tried that. Anything other than 60FPS at 60Hz and the micro stutters were back. I tried every possible combination of settings but nothing made a difference. Problem was I was hooked on the look of P3D V2 but couldn't accept the micro stutters. Went back to FSX and felt I had given up a level of realism. Damn you LM for putting me in this dilemma.

Then I read a post on the LM forums where a person had set their monitor refresh rate to 30Hz and locked the frame rate to 30FPS and solve their micro stutters. I also tried this and found that I can have 2 micro stutter free zones. Locked 60FPS at 60Hz or locked 30FPS at 30Hz. Obviously I chose locked 30FPS at 30Hz as it is unrealistic for me to achieve a constant 60FPS with NGX and AS 319/320.

I have a 3930K @ 4.7GHz with a GTX980. Actually I lock the frames at 33FPS, turn Vsync on and triple buffering. This give me exactly the same result as what the NI 1/2 refresh rate did in FSX. No better and no worse just the identical experience. Of course settings still have to be balanced just like they would in FSX.

If micro stutters are bothering you I would recommend you try this if your monitor can safely support a 30Hz refresh rate  (check first) and you were happy with the NI 1/2 refresh rate experience in FSX. 

I have recently upgraded to a Dell U3415W from a 24" Dell and have set it to 33FPS @ 30Hz. On this monitor I still achieve an equivalent result to what I had previously. Overall a smooth stutter free experience.

Regards

Michael M

Michael M

System: AMD 7800X3D II Asus X670E Hero MB II 32GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 II RTX4090 II 2TB NVMe Samsung 980 Pro II  EKWB  CR360 AIO II Dell Alienware - AW3821DW 3840 X 1600 G-Sync Ultimate

This is an interesting topic and one that I have spent an enormous amount of hours trying to conquer. I think it was SP1 in FSX when the dreaded micro stutters started for me. Anything other than 60FPS at 60Hz refresh rate and I have the micro stutters. To me it is one of the most immersion breaking, irritating aspects of the simulation. I know everyone is different but for me I find it hard to live with.

Through many iterations of processors, motherboards, graphics cards, you name it and the result was always the same. Anything other that 60FPS at 60Hz and the micro stutters reared their ugly head. So I kept at the simulation but at the same time never became totally involved.

Then I was reading a thread about NI and 1/2 refresh rate. Ok so I tried this as people were commenting on the smoothness and removal of the micro stutters. This was flight simulator heaven for me, what a smooth experience. I became more involved, purchased more scenery and aircraft and it was awesome.

Then along came P3D V2 and I tried that. Anything other than 60FPS at 60Hz and the micro stutters were back. I tried every possible combination of settings but nothing made a difference. Problem was I was hooked on the look of P3D V2 but couldn't accept the micro stutters. Went back to FSX and felt I had given up a level of realism. Damn you LM for putting me in this dilemma.

Then I read a post on the LM forums where a person had set their monitor refresh rate to 30Hz and locked the frame rate to 30FPS and solve their micro stutters. I also tried this and found that I can have 2 micro stutter free zones. Locked 60FPS at 60Hz or locked 30FPS at 30Hz. Obviously I chose locked 30FPS at 30Hz as it is unrealistic for me to achieve a constant 60FPS with NGX and AS 319/320.

I have a 3930K @ 4.7GHz with a GTX980. Actually I lock the frames at 33FPS, turn Vsync on and triple buffering. This give me exactly the same result as what the NI 1/2 refresh rate did in FSX. No better and no worse just the identical experience. Of course settings still have to be balanced just like they would in FSX.

If micro stutters are bothering you I would recommend you try this if your monitor can safely support a 30Hz refresh rate  (check first) and you were happy with the NI 1/2 refresh rate experience in FSX. 

I have recently upgraded to a Dell U3415W from a 24" Dell and have set it to 33FPS @ 30Hz. On this monitor I still achieve an equivalent result to what I had previously. Overall a smooth stutter free experience.

Regards

Michael M

That's exactly my experience, to the letter! I just checked and my current monitor doesn't support anything else than 60Hz, I think (well, at least in NVIDIA control panel under Change resolution there is only 60Hz option under Refresh rate, that's where 30Hz should be?) but I'm willing to buy a new one if it produces the same result as 1/2 refresh rate with which I was extremely satisfied in FSX and made my simming so much more enjoyable and my wallet so much more open :)

That's exactly my experience, to the letter! I just checked and my current monitor doesn't support anything else than 60Hz, I think (well, at least in NVIDIA control panel under Change resolution there is only 60Hz option under Refresh rate, that's where 30Hz should be?) but I'm willing to buy a new one if it produces the same result as 1/2 refresh rate with which I was extremely satisfied in FSX and made my simming so much more enjoyable and my wallet so much more open :)

Hi Tomaz

You can create a custom resolution with NVC. Officially my monitor does not support 30Hz either so I just created a custom resolution for it. So people say it may damage your monitor, I do not know enough about this aspect to comment.

I ran my Dell 24" for years at 30Hz and no problem. My new monitor uses an LG panel and the actual LG 34" supports a 30Hz preset. So I set mine to 30Hz and all is good. But this is still something each individual has to consider.

If you do want to give it a try just google "create custom resolution with nvidia control panel". Good luck and if you do try it please let us know how you go.

Regards

Michael M

Michael M

System: AMD 7800X3D II Asus X670E Hero MB II 32GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 II RTX4090 II 2TB NVMe Samsung 980 Pro II  EKWB  CR360 AIO II Dell Alienware - AW3821DW 3840 X 1600 G-Sync Ultimate

The only question is are there many monitors that support 30Hz? Trying to find them on Google is giving me some troubles. I'm looking for "normal" LCD 21-24 inch monitors. Any suggestions?

If you do want to give it a try just google "create custom resolution with nvidia control panel". Good luck and if you do try it please let us know how you go.

Thanks! I'll do that and report back. If this all works out... happy days!

The only question is are there many monitors that support 30Hz? Trying to find them on Google is giving me some troubles. I'm looking for "normal" LCD 21-24 inch monitors. Any suggestions?

Officially I don't believe there are many. I guess not many people really want to or have to need to run at 30Hz. It appears that some of the 4k and high res displays have this option. 

Maybe ask this question over on the Monitor forum and you could probably also get more technical insight about running your monitor at 30Hz.

Michael M

Michael M

Hey!

So I bought a GTX960, a card that will run my Sims at least until 2016 and my possible all New PC with Nvidia Pascal and New Intel CPUs, etc.

I can run P3D pretty well at 30+ Fps, but I have yet to achieve the dream of a smooth stutter free simming. I just never achieved that with FSX and Prepar3d. It goies well for 3-5 seconds then stutter. I'm in need of techniques to study and fix these!

First of all, is there any tool or way to detect a stutter other than by eye alone? I read something about recording your screen and playing it back later, is it effective/

Also, Vsync, etc, I never got to understand the best way to use it in P3D

Thanks guys!

Alexis,

What are you running for add-ons, such as custom scenery, airports, aircraft?  I too have experienced a great deal of stutters, even after going through the gambit of changing the settings in the sim, changing the settings in nvidia inspector.  I have found that one of the best tests, call it "stress testing" is to fly around Seattle.  I use ORBX scenery exclusively, which is another good test for stutters.  i can achieve a framerate level that creates a smooth flight in a straight line, but once I make a turn, the stutters appear.

I am sure running P3D barebones will create the best experience, as I have tested that over the weekend, but someone once said that when you introduce any third party add-ons to the basic sim, you will start to see framerate drops, stutters and everything else in between.

Oh yeah, just a heads up, if anyone decides to switch out their graphics drivers, don't use DDU...it contains a trojan virus (do a search for DDU here at the forums as I cannot recall the exact name of this utility, which many touted as being a thorough graphics driver remover for nvidia cards).  I had to reinstall my system over the weekend, which brings me back to reinstalling P3D, referencing the above statement of a barebones flight.  My framerate counter was off the charts. lol

I have not started the laborious task of reinstalling my scenery yet as I am trying to figure out the best way possible to do it without getting errors, but that's for another thread).

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

With the newer Nvidia drivers, there is no need for DDU - selecting a clean install does EXACTLY the same as using DDU or similar programs.

If it makes you feel better, go for it but it is really redundant.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

With the newer Nvidia drivers, there is no need for DDU - selecting a clean install does EXACTLY the same as using DDU or similar programs.

If it makes you feel better, go for it but it is really redundant.

Vic

Oh I know it isn't needed NOW, lol!  I just thought that perhaps there were some latent files left behind that would have caused an issue and as I said, someone at AVSIM stated that it was a good utility to use, not realizing that it had a virus.  Lesson learned and I shouldn't be such a worrywart.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Take a 30Hz refresh monitor and give it Unlimited fps showing between 40 and 60 fps. We only see 30 of those frames on the monitor. Meanwhile the sim is making 10 to 30 more frames than it needs to. When we use unlimited each frame is shown after it is built, so the frame rate depends on the complexity of scene. If we spin around with the outside view the rate of turning speeds up if the complexity of the view decreases. So using unlimited flying a turn can make a mockery of the flight model if the scene changes during the turn. The sim is designed from the ground up to use look ahead frames with the locked fps setting. The unlimited setting is basically a test mode for performance comparison. When we set locked fps in the sim this instructs the sim to use look ahead frames. It is not the same as capping the frame rate with the monitor refresh or GPU limiter. The problem with locked fps is that it takes time to build a look ahead buffer. When we have a look ahead buffer there are pre rendered frames that fill in when the scene complexity increases too much for the rendering to keep up. I get generally 40+ fps all the time so I usually use 20fps fixed, since I've got a 60 Hz refresh monitor. Sweet spots are 12, 15, 20, 30 and 60.

...So what's the implications if I want to use 30fps fixed on my PC instead of 20? First I need 60+ fps showing most of the time in unlimited, requiring a PC with 3/2 the current available throughput. Next I would need a larger look ahead buffer since it will be diminished in 2/3 the time. So it would appear 30fps fixed is too much for my rig.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com