Sign in to follow this  
Alec

Trying to achieve the Dream of Smooth Stutter Free Simming

Richard,

It's nice hearing of your success with your new system.  I'm currently running a i7-4770, GTX 770 system with three 1920x1080 monitors.  My flying preference is to have 3 separate VC views which is somewhat taxing on the system.  How do you feel your new build would preform with my monitor/view setup?

Regards,

Dave

I get horrible stutters every 2-3 seconds when using My Traffic for P3D 2.5. It is smooth in the beginning (prepping, takeoff, climb), but during cruise it slowly gets worse. I don't want to talk about the approach and landing. A real stutter mess! And thats only with 20 % AI.

Same flight without My Traffic AI - almost smooth as butter. Anyone else experienced this?

I'm also using MT6 and don't see what you describe but I only use the AI models for online flying on Vatsim and don't have the MT6 software installed so maybe that's where the problem is in your case.

Richard Åsberg

Richard,

It's nice hearing of your success with your new system. I'm currently running a i7-4770, GTX 770 system with three 1920x1080 monitors. My flying preference is to have 3 separate VC views which is somewhat taxing on the system. How do you feel your new build would preform with my monitor/view setup?

Regards,

Dave

Thanks Dave!

Hard to say, never used a multi monitor setup myself but looking at the resolution I guess the performance would be similar if using the same hardware, addons and settings.

Richard Åsberg

Thanks Richard,

I think my flying preference may not be as common as I hoped.  I haven’t made an exhaustive search but when I look at multi monitor topics, I don’t recall many pilots using three separate VC views.  In complex scenery areas, my system can’t deliver that smoothness we all desire.  In looking forward to an upgraded system, folks who have success with what they’re doing catch my attention. Congratulations!  I’m aware that there are many technical issues that determine the success of a specific upgrade, and some of them I understand.  So thanks for your input, and suggestions on how best to accomplish my three monitor preference are welcome.

Dave

In the past I was considering a multi monitor setup to get a more "really being there" sensation but today when you can get a high quality 48" 4K TV and in my case curved on top of that and at a much lower price than multiple high quality monitors I think that is a truly great option!

Richard Åsberg

I get horrible stutters every 2-3 seconds when using My Traffic for P3D 2.5

Even though My Traffic 6 slows my system down a wee bit its still smooth.   

Before i changed my card, ASN had a massive hit on my system,  loads of stutters.  I have more Ram now so all is good 

In the past I was considering a multi monitor setup to get a more "really being there" sensation but today when you can get a high quality 48" 4K TV and in my case curved on top of that and at a much lower price than multiple high quality monitors I think that is a truly great option!

Yes that's certainly something to consider, but I seem to be stuck being able to look out the side of the aircraft.  Old habits I guess.

Dave

PS:  I'd love to hear from other like minded folk.  Actually, what mind I have left is still capable of change. :smile:

Yes that's certainly something to consider, but I seem to be stuck being able to look out the side of the aircraft. Old habits I guess.

Dave

PS: I'd love to hear from other like minded folk. Actually, what mind I have left is still capable of change. :smile:

I do understand what you mean and maybe in your case an SLI setup would do you good but SLI also comes with some issues.

Just came to think of something the moment I pressed the submit button, are you using TrackIR? If not maybe that could convince you to replace your multi monitor setup with a single, big screen :)

I've been using TrackIR for many years now and wouldn't fly without it and using it I can look in any direction simply by turning my head so guess that's why I don't really feel the need for "side screens".

Richard Åsberg

I’m aware of track IR but haven’t used it.  I think there’s something about turning your head one way and looking the other that’s prevented me from trying it.  But, it’s a point well taken…thanks.

Dave

I’m aware of track IR but haven’t used it.  I think there’s something about turning your head one way and looking the other that’s prevented me from trying it.  But, it’s a point well taken…thanks.

Dave

I have used track IR off and on for years, and for the last few months it has been off. I just don't like trying to adjust something in the cockpit and having to hold my head still so that my mouse click is not moving past where I want it. I know, try the dead zones and all that, but it has gotten to be more trouble than it is worth, unless I am VFR flying in a Cessna and need to look around all the time. At FL 250 and above, I find it not very useful, just use the hat on my joystick to look around, and or EzDok. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I have used track IR off and on for years, and for the last few months it has been off. I just don't like trying to adjust something in the cockpit and having to hold my head still so that my mouse click is not moving past where I want it. I know, try the dead zones and all that, but it has gotten to be more trouble than it is worth, unless I am VFR flying in a Cessna and need to look around all the time. At FL 250 and above, I find it not very useful, just use the hat on my joystick to look around, and or EzDok. 

Thanks for your input Bobsk8.  From my point of view, the optimum (most natural) situation is sitting in the cockpit and looking at, or out at, what you want to see.  Three VC views get me close to that.  But as it turns out, because of the system demands, I’m limited as to where I can fly without the distraction of insufficient processing and/or display power.  Because of my preference, I guess I’ll always be behind the single display folks.  I know I need to make a system change, and it would be helpful to know others who have been successful with a similar challenge.  Thanks again.

Dave

I agree it's not 100% logic turning your head in one direction and your eyes in another one but it's not too bad actually since the head movement needed is so small.

As for the issue clicking small things in the v/c while trying to keep your head perfectly still I solved that by assigning my mouse wheel button to the TrackIR pause command.

Then to me it has become easier over time keeping the head still while clicking something with the mouse and I guess having a 48" screen 3 feet in front of you also helps.

Richard Åsberg

I agree it's not 100% logic turning your head in one direction and your eyes in another one but it's not too bad actually since the head movement needed is so small.

As for the issue clicking small things in the v/c while trying to keep your head perfectly still I solved that by assigning my mouse wheel button to the TrackIR pause command.

Then to me it has become easier over time keeping the head still while clicking something with the mouse and I guess having a 48" screen 3 feet in front of you also helps.

Problem with that is I use the mouse wheel to turn knobs in the VC. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Problem with that is I use the mouse wheel to turn knobs in the VC.

So am I but I have a mouse where I can also press the mouse wheel like a button, very convenient!

Richard Åsberg

In order to only use small head movements you have to use a high sensitivity TrackIR profile ... a high sensitivity TrackIR profile will exaggerate motion in the VC ... hmmm ... maybe this is why some of you feel you need 60Hz for TrackIR?

My TrackIR profile is setup for minimum sensitivity which does indeed have some limit to my range of motion but I prefer to get as close to 1:1 ratio on my head movement in the VC.  Here is my trackIR profile: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw0Q-fAfEZwyTXZOYjVRZURLVzg/view?usp=sharing

But TrackIR does have it's limits, I typically only use it during taxi/takeoff and landing/taxi ... I honestly don't really like having to move my head and look out the corner of my eye at the monitor.  Maybe when 8K surround monitors come out I'll be able to drop the TrackIR :)  Gotta love technology ... it just keeps moving forward.

Cheers, Rob.