Sign in to follow this  
1redbarron

Default FSX Aircraft Strobe & Beacon Lights Not Working

FSX Gold Edition.

The strobe and anti-collision lights have stopped working on all the default aircraft. Well I say stopped working, that’s not entirely true. The strobe light sometimes shows working until I pan round to the tail end of the aircraft when it then stops. The anti collision lights do show working but from under each engine as more of a glow and not from the beacons. I cannot say exactly when they stopped working but it is very recently. Weird.

I have checked the ‘pilot controls the lights’ in settings, which is checked.

I really am hoping for a fix for this from somewhere before I have to carry out the dreaded repair/reinstall. Thanks for any help you can offer.

These are my FSX light settings from the two default aircraft I always use

Default 737-800

[LIGHTS]
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing
light.0 = 3, -24.20, -56.60, 3.90, fx_navredm ,
light.1 = 3, -24.20, 56.60, 3.90, fx_navgrem ,
light.2 = 2, -71.32, 0.00, 5.92, fx_strobeh ,
light.3 = 2, -25.00, -57.20, 4.20, fx_strobe ,
light.4 = 2, -25.00, 57.20, 4.20, fx_strobe ,
light.5 = 2, -7.55, 0.00, -5.50, fx_beaconb ,
light.6 = 1, 2.00, 0.00, 8.70, fx_beaconh ,
//light.7 = 4, 47.60, 0.00, 3.00, fx_vclighth ,
light.8 = 3, -29.50, -56.60, 3.70, fx_navwhih ,
light.9 = 3, -29.50, 56.60, 3.70, fx_navwhih ,

Default 747-400

[LIGHTS]
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing
light.1 = 3, -223.85, 0.00, 8.85, fx_navwhih ,
light.2 = 2, -228.97, 0.00, 44.62, fx_strobeh ,
light.3 = 1, -45.05, 0.00, 15.65, fx_beaconh ,
light.4 = 1, -80.22, 0.00, -11.05, fx_beaconb ,
light.5 = 4, -18.24, 0.00, 11.19, fx_vclighth,

My System Spec

Windows 7 Home 64bit - 128GB Crucial M4 SSD - 2TB Master Hard Drive
Intel Core i7 4+4 Core 2600K 3.4Ghz 8MB L3 CACHE - ThermalTake Contac29 Cooler
16GB DDR3 2133Mhz Patriot Viper V3 Red Performance/Gaming RAM
AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB PCI-E 3.0 Ready Graphics - GSX - FS Cabin Crew - ASN SP3

I don't have an answer for you, except to say that I have that same problem ( in Win10).   To alleviate another problem, I went onto DX10 preview, which sorted out the problem, but my strobe and beacons wouldn't do their job unless I scanned around the aircraft (as you experience).   So assessing all the minor irritations with Win10, I took off DX10 and my lights are back to normal (except that I now have to go into window mode to access items on the menu bar!).   Can't win -  but this is as good as it's going to get for now.   All the best.

Chris

I don't have an answer for you, except to say that I have that same problem ( in Win10).   To alleviate another problem, I went onto DX10 preview, which sorted out the problem, but my strobe and beacons wouldn't do their job unless I scanned around the aircraft (as you experience).   So assessing all the minor irritations with Win10, I took off DX10 and my lights are back to normal (except that I now have to go into window mode to access items on the menu bar!).   Can't win -  but this is as good as it's going to get for now.   All the best.

Chris

Hi Chris and thanks for your prompt reply.

Funny you mention about Windows 10. This may well have been when my problems with the lighting also started as I too upgraded (free) to Windows 10 very recently but rolled back to Windows 7 as I was having aircraft graphic issues in Windows 10, plus I couldn't get on with10 and didn't find it particularly user friendly compared to 7. I have checked the DX10 preview in FSX (Win 7) and restarted FSX, still the same. Unchecked and re-started FSX, still no change.

I know It's only a couple of lights that aren't working, but it will bug me knowing everything isn't as it should be. And as much as I don't want to carry out a repair or fresh install (so time consuming) it is looking more likely unless some kind boffin :help:   can come up with the magic fix.

Cheers

Stephen

FIXED

I had read today about the problem related to the Effects folder after I done a search via the Avsim library. I did try reinstalling a full copy of FSX onto my other larger drive so I could copy the effects folder over to my original FSX setup but it wouldn't have it. In the end I ran the FSX 'Repair' procedure which worked and fixed the problem. cool.png

I had already backed up my default 737 and 747 aircraft folders which had all my texture add-ons, so I just replaced the originals with these and all were back up and running. Saved allot of faffing about reloading them one by one.

My add-on scenery and other add-ons such as ASN and GSX all stayed installed as well which was a bonus.

So far all is well (fingers crossed). A full back is on the cards just as soon as I get enough discs. pilot.png

Edited by n4gix
corrected "affects" to "effects..."

Glad that your problem has been sorted out - hope it stays that way for you and you can gloat in your success for a long while!  

Chris