Sign in to follow this  
skids

ATC to direct me to a SPECIFIC gate

Great question and I am happy that this issue is being discussed.

Here in Adelaide, South Australia as I imagine it would be with many other airports, we have a company Regional Express (REX) Airlines who have a specific parking area at the Adelaide airport YPAD (10A? to 10F) for example. When I land at  YPAD and contact ground they always seem to send me to some old unused parking area at the back of the airport.

I am using AusceneX Adelaide scenery and the aircraft of concern is the SAAB 340 series which are used by this particular company.

If I fly other airline liveries eg. Qantas, Jetstar or Virgin I seem, in the main get sent to an appropriate gate at the new terminal although on occasion I also get sent to some small parking bay at the back.

As I understand FSX has the ability to recognize the aircraft type small or heavy and select the appropriate ramp or gate. I have been in the aircraft config file and not wanting to change much as I don't really know what I am doing, seen that the cfg file lists parking as Ramp or Gate etc but is that just any gate or ramp? 

Can we set it to a specific ramp or ramps?

Thanks guys

Paul

Can we set it to a specific ramp or ramps?

Hi Paul,

When you specify GATE or RAMP in the aircraft.cfg that is any gate or ramp it will use. You need to use this in combination with the specific airline code.

Even then, FSX could assign another (AI) aircraft to this parking spot, so if you want to tag a very specific, unique parking spot, I would modify the specific parking spot in the AFCAD (.BGL file) of the airport (can be done with ADE tool) and mark this parking spot with (only) a unique airline code. e.g. if you airline is Delta, then the std airline code is usually DAL but you could modify this to DALZ for example.

Then use this exact, unique airline code in your aircraft.cfg file of your aircraft so that only that aircraft is assigned.

In this way you ensure the highest probability that you get assigned that specific spot at that specific airport.

It is not absolutely guaranteed as FSX does not always follow the rules but this approach will give you best results.

There is one drawback to mention and that is, if you decide to use a unique airline code that is created by you and placed in the aircraft.cfg file, flying that same aircraft into another airport will mean that customized airline code is not recognized, therefore, when requesting a parking spot it will more than likely assign you to an unassigned, ("free") parking spot.

Std, commonly used airline codes can be found here:-

http://airodyssey.net/reference/airlines/

Happy coding!

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

Guest JustanotherPilot

I checked the Adelaide Scenery X afcad.bgl and REX(RXA) is assigned to Gates A and B which are located behind the main terminal building. As mentioned make sure that this

atc_parking_types=GATE,RAMP
atc_parking_codes=RXA

is shown in the Saab aircraft .cfg.

I'm not sure that FSX recognizes the ATC lines when it is a user aircraft, as opposed to AI. So if that doesn't work, here's what I believe will, You have to create a parking space with AFCAD or ADE that has a unique turning radius - probably much smaller than everything else. Then you have to modify the aircraft model so it shares that same radius. I've never done it in FSX but it works in FS9 and in this case, I don't think there's any difference.

Good luck with it

Ian

I'm not sure that FSX recognizes the ATC lines when it is a user aircraft, as opposed to AI.

It does as long as you use the proper spelling. You must use an S at the end of type and code, like below.

atc_parking_types=

atc_parking_codes=

AI use it like this with no S.

atc_parking_type=

atc_parking_code=

It's proven without a doubt to work on user aircraft as long as it written into the aircraft cfg in the appropriate line for the livery and of course the afcad for the airport has those codes and parking spaces available.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I will give the "S" modification a try. Thanks for the tip

Ian