Sign in to follow this  
Angelo Cosma

Well it finally happened (PC RIP)

Hey guys I have had a super solid setup for quite a few years now, and if it wasn't for someone spilling there drink into her she would still be with us. I will break down what she was and turn to the community for suggestions on her replacement.

Intel 2700K 4.8ghz

ASUS P8Z77-V Pro

8GB DDR3 Corsair Ram

EVGA 780GTX 4gb Superclocked

2TB 7200rpm HDD

64GB Cache SSD

Corsair 850W Gold Modular

Corsair H80i

Corsair 650D

Now I know the motherboard and MAYBE the gfx card is gone, I think the other parts especially case and PSU can be salvaged. 

Skylake is out now, will my going from a 2700K at 4.8ghz to a Skylake be a performance improvement for me? I plan on the 6700K with an ASUS board and some good DDR4 Ram.

Looking to get a 980GTX card, I have always supported EVGA but for nearly $650 for that card I may look elsewhere. Maybe ASUS or MSI. 

What can you guys tell me about going from my dead build to the new skylake and what components would you recommend. I will be overclocking and upgrading to the Corsiar H110i. 

Thanks for all the help guys.

I might get a 4790K with a nice new motherboard and keep the other parts, in particular the video card (if it still works..)

Bert

Have you tried putting it in a box of rice? It might take the moisture out - could take a few days though

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I have been letting it dry out since Saturday, no joy. It was a solid build but have been curious about deciding when to upgrade and I guess I got my sign. 

Bert, if i elect not to keep any parts do you still recommend the 4790K over the newer skylake? Also are the newer CPs 1:1 (Meaning my 2700K at 4.80 = 6700K at 4.80) or will the newer ones beat out the 2700K at the same clock speed. 

There are a couple of Skylake threads, I would read them. Also read the thread "Upgrade advice". Plenty of Skylake reviews and videos to watch too. Some nice vedeos on the Asus "PC DIY Youtube channel as well.

Skylake, clocked the same as your present CPU, is faster. The architecture is faster. DDR4 as well.

I'm building in a month or so, most definately will be Skylake.

Coming from a 2700k you will notice a nice improvement.

I would strongly advise against attempting to reuse the PSU if you think any liquid got in there. I would hate to see someone try to salvage a sub-$100 part that's been compromised all to ruin a bunch of brand new components...

You'd probably find the compromised PSU wouldn't even fire up, they have internal fuses and all manner of protection. If it did, with the over current and short circuit protections built in it would quickly cut out, probably before any motherboard damage. Motherboards themselves have built in protection too. 

Having said that, Greg is right, not a good idea to risk reusing a possibly compromised PSU.

In reality, if in doubt, you would test the PSU first of course. I have an Antec PSU tester, it checks all voltages, great device.

I have been letting it dry out since Saturday, no joy. It was a solid build but have been curious about deciding when to upgrade and I guess I got my sign. 

Bert, if i elect not to keep any parts do you still recommend the 4790K over the newer skylake? Also are the newer CPs 1:1 (Meaning my 2700K at 4.80 = 6700K at 4.80) or will the newer ones beat out the 2700K at the same clock speed. 

Skylake is very new... and common sense tells me that only ``heat seekers`` are keen to try it at present.  Indeed read the reviews first!

Haswell is a mature, solid design that works well for FSX..

Bert

Huh... "heat seekers", not sure what that means.

New or not, there are plenty of reviews, plenty of test results to peruse in order to make an informed decision.

No test results for FSX but estimating shouldn't be too hard. Skylake isn't vastly diferent to Haswell to the extent that the new architecture will somehow be a bad move.

For me, I do many other things with my PC other than FSX.

Martin, go for it!

I guess I am not keen to be first one with a new motherboard + new RAM + new CPU..  :wink:

Bert

Definitely a thumbs up. Depends on the budget, of course, but I might go with the GTX980Ti...

Also, this may be cheaper and more effective, but think about stepping down to the H55 quiet edition and then ripping the stock fan off and putting cougars on both sides in a push/pull configuration (with both blowing air out of the case)... just some ideas...

Martin, go for it!

I guess I am not keen to be first one with a new motherboard + new RAM + new CPU..  :wink:

I'm not keen to be the first either Burt. At 57 I've grown out of that sort of behaviour. I don't make snap decisions. Rather, after research I decide if it's the way to go for me. I'd be fully willing to opt for a different solution if it was right for me.

The OP needs to build or buy a new PC. Regardless as to whether Haswell is a "solid platform" or not, he needs to research Skylake. If he doesn't, and he opts for Haswell, he may find he is missing out on many benefits of the new platform [and it's not just Instructions Per Clock cycle].

It's my contention, that if he does the research he will most likely opt for Skylake. But like me, I don't presume he's the type to just leap on the bandwagon, just because it's the latest kit.

Well this is what I came up with, will test the PSU at work to see if it holds up otherwise I plan on replacing it. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YcCpsY

Let me know what you think.

Looks a great system. I too would go for the GTX 980ti though.

Corsiar H110 is a nice cooler. For me, as I'm a bit of a wimp and still wary of possible leaks, I'm probably sticking to air coolers for my next build. I have an NH-D14 at present. Noctua have released the NH-D15S though. The 15S has only one fan. The loss of one fan makes almost no difference to cooling. Just two degrees warmer. It's slightly off-set too, to clear the uppermost PCie slot better and for improved RAM clearance. Makes me smile that all this time, D14/D15 owners [including me] have been running with two fans for minimal additional cooling. I realised this a while back, but as the D-14 is so quiet didn't bother to remove it.

But yes, if you aren't a scardy cat like me, then the H110 would be a superb choice.

What are you doing for PSU?

Strictly speaking, your RAM doesn't need to be quite that fast, but given the minimal difference in price why not.

Will test the PSU this week if it still works. If not then a Corsair 750-850 Watt Gold is what I will be getting. I have had the H50, H80, and so far they are great i am not worried. I will not be using the fans that come with, I have some Noctua Fans I bought for high airflow and low noise.

The EVGA 980Ti? Hmmm I wonder how much higher the price is, I found a good deal on an EVGA 980 4GB Super Clocked edition that might work if the Ti is too much. Is it really worth the extra cash?

I am curious about the newer CPU, I am not rushing into this but if all the evidence points good, then yes I am very inclined to go this route. I would like to have the PC up and running within two weeks since atm I have no other machine.