Sign in to follow this  
Angelo Cosma

Well it finally happened (PC RIP)

Corsair H110 is a nice cooler for me, as I'm a bit of a wimp and still wary of possible leaks, I'm probably sticking to air coolers for my next build. I have an NH-D14 at present. Noctua have released the NH-D15S though. The 15S has only one fan. The loss of one fan makes almost no difference to cooling. Just two degrees warmer.

I have a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO in my current i5 4690k @ 4.6Ghz PC, and that only has a single fan. It seems to do a decent job.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I will not be using the fans that come with, I have some Noctua Fans I bought for high airflow and low noise.

Noctua make some excellent fans, but for water cooling, (pushing/pulling, air through a radiator) you should be looking for fans with a higher static pressure, not high air flow. 

Regarding your ram, for DDR4, you need to look for a 4 piece kit, to take advantage of the quad channel "bus".

If you want to stick with 16Gbs, a 4x4Gb kit is what you need. It will cost more, but selecting a lower speed, (ie 2600, 2800), will balance out the price difference a little bit. You will not notice any difference from the slightly lower speed. In fact, it will probably be more stable, as 3200 kits require overclocking to reach that speed.

Good luck with your new build.

Regards, Jazz

I have a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO in my current i5 4690k @ 4.6Ghz PC, and that only has a single fan. It seems to do a decent job.

212 Evo is a good performer amongst the single tower single fan designs Chris.

Same applies to case fans of course. Most of us have more fans installed than required, and if we test just how much difference an extra fan makes in terms of cooling, it's minimal. Add a case fan, and be lucky to see a couple of degrees cooler.

Noctua make some excellent fans, but for water cooling, (pushing/pulling, air through a radiator) you should be looking for fans with a higher static pressure, not high air flow.

True enough. I have a couple of high static pressure Noctua NF-F12's. Not just for rad's, high static pressure is useful for air coolers too.

For Angelo, Maximus V111 hero build, with plenty of info on the motherboard from JJ from Asus...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A4a7LfOxuI

Regarding your ram, for DDR4, you need to look for a 4 piece kit, to take advantage of the quad channel "bus".

Skylake is duel channel, not quad channel!

Okay so keeping the Ram at 2 X 8gb is okay then? Will figure out fans, that's easy to handle even down the road. So if all I do is FSX, GTA V, TS2015 then the 980 Super Clocked should be more than enough with one monitor running DSR? Or is the TI really necessary? Its an extra $200 I don't know if its worth it. 

I would have thought that any 980 could handle a single monitor with effortless ease.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Skylake is duel channel, not quad channel!

My apologies for the misinformation. I hadn't checked that specific mobos spec's, and had assumed, it being DDR4, would be quad channel, like the x99 boards.

regards, Jazz

That was a pretty decent video from Asus...  it was a little general information, but there were some tailored specifics for that LianLi case and the asus parts.  The narrator there was clear and had a good speech rate.  I actually watched the entire video for once!

I'm actually quite pumped about the easy OC setting that asus boards have...  that sounds GREAT to me!  I think one of the major reasons my 2500K never got above 4.4GHz (other than PEBKAC) was that my GB bios didn't really offer an easy OC.  I think there was some sort of setting but nothing worked for me.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Okay so keeping the Ram at 2 X 8gb is okay then? Will figure out fans, that's easy to handle even down the road. So if all I do is FSX, GTA V, TS2015 then the 980 Super Clocked should be more than enough with one monitor running DSR? Or is the TI really necessary? Its an extra $200 I don't know if its worth it.

Yep your Ram is fine at just two sticks.

As Chris rightly mentioned, a 980 should be suitable I would have thought. If you do some research, then the capabilities of the card will be apparent. Should be lots of reviews for you to check out.

My apologies for the misinformation. I hadn't checked that specific mobos spec's, and had assumed, it being DDR4, would be quad channel, like the x99 boards.

regards, Jazz

No problem, we all slip up now and again. It's a new platform so none of us are totally familiar yet.

That was a pretty decent video from Asus...  it was a little general information, but there were some tailored specifics for that LianLi case and the asus parts.  The narrator there was clear and had a good speech rate.  I actually watched the entire video for once!

I'm actually quite pumped about the easy OC setting that asus boards have...  that sounds GREAT to me!  I think one of the major reasons my 2500K never got above 4.4GHz (other than PEBKAC) was that my GB bios didn't really offer an easy OC.  I think there was some sort of setting but nothing worked for me.

Yep, JJ from Asus is rather good at the videos and very knowledgeable. I did raise an eyebrow recently when I saw him applying TIM though. He mounted the cooler and then un-mounted it to make sure the TIM had spread properly, then remounted it. The first thing that sprung to mind for me was air bubbles. Seemed to be the perfect way to generate air bubbles between IHS and cooler. I'm sure it wouldn't make a huge difference, but we enthusiasts go all of a quiver when we see such unnecessary practices.

The Asus 5 way optimisation looks great now. One of the factors that put me off the auto overlock before was the inability to limit the proceedings. Thus there was a tendency for the auto overclock to be a little extreme for my taste. Now though, with 5 way optimisation, you can set a temperature, voltage, or frequency limit, beyond which the auto overlcok won't go. I think I would set something like 80 degrees max and let it do it's stuff. Not sure if Asus are using CPU temp or core temp though, CPU temp is lower than core temp as it's based on Intel's off-set method.

You can bet if an experienced overclocking fanatic overclocked manually they would tweak a few more megahertz out of it and perhaps at a somewhat lower voltage. But for most of us I suspect the 5 way optimisation would be perfectly adequate.

Nice that the auto overclock and the fan profiles can all be set in the UEFI if we feel like it. So for those that don't want to install Ai Suite, they don't have to.

You might find this video interesting below Ryan...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLkzMamoRbA&feature=player_embedded

Lots more interesting videos and advice from Asus on the Asus PC DIY website...

https://pcdiy.asus.com/2015/08/all-things-asus-z170-skylake-platform-overviews-build-guides-overclocking-more/

Well thanks for all the help guys! I now know what I am doing. For those curious,

Intel 6700K (Whenever the thing is back in stock!)

Asus Z170 ROG Maximus VIII Hero

Gskil 16gb DDR4 3200

Samsung 850 500Gb

EVGA 980 Reference 4GB

Corsair H110 cooler

Win 7 64

Really excited now I just have to wait more :-/ I wish the CPU was in stock, Microcenter has tons of 6600Ks but nobody seems to have the 700 version as of yet. 

I'm sure you will love your new PC.

No 6700K availability issues here in the UK.