Sign in to follow this  
ja99

ST Helena Airport

Does anyone know if this new airport which is due to open May 2016 IATA HLE : ICAO FHSH.

Direction Length Surface m ft 18/36 1,500 4,921 Concrete (under construction) Airport type Public Owner Saint Helena Government Operator Lanseria Airport Location 23px-Flag_of_Saint_Helena.svg.png Saint Helena Elevation AMSL 1,017 ft / 310 m Coordinates 17px-WMA_button2b.png15°57′29″S005°38′42″W

The airport has become something of a local joke, you can even buy tee-shirts with all the planned opening dates crossed out.

PaperAirplanes%5BJH%5D.jpg

Photo 19/2/15, copyright: John Hinson

It looked far from ready earlier this year, as can be seen.

John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

The delays appear to be have been political, with construction contracts signed only in 2011.

Given the remote location (1200 miles from nearest land, and only one ship that calls at the island) I think they are doing rather well.

Calibration flights for the navaids are to take place next month.   http://www.sainthelenaaccess.com/news/

Peter Schluter

I would use the word "incompetence" rather than "political" in that those who planned and designed the airport obviously gave no consideration to the remoteness of the location and the difficulties involved with their various planned commissioning dates. That does not get a "doing rather well" from me. I also understand amongst other things the first runway built had to be dug up and replaced as it wasn't strong enough.

Only the construction workers (who seem mostly to be from Thailand) travel there by the RMS St Helena, supplies are shipped by cargo ship to a specially constructed port as and when required.

The airport will be served by one flight per week from Johannesburg, which won't be much help to the "Saints" (as the locals are called) who work in Cape Town, Ascension and the Falklands (as there is little on the island to employ them). At present there are no plans for a flight to Ascension Island after the RMS St Helena returns to London, quite how they will get to and from there and the Falklands seems to have not been considered. The only ship will be a heavy cargo service running once every few months, plus the occasional fuel delivery ship as now.

John

I am sure you are right John as I have no knowlege of the local situation. I wonder whether the airport will acually see much traffic after the initial novelty wears off.

Peter Schluter

I wonder whether the airport will acually see much traffic after the initial novelty wears off.

I'm not sure. The island has huge beauty and could draw a lot of tourist traffic from all parts of the world. A large new hotel is being built near the airport which will usurp the few rather basic (but delightful) ones in Jamestown. The island will undoubtedly be transformed and will lose its "colonial" magic but at least it might make some work for the "Saints" and perhaps allow them to get reasonably current magazines.

In terms of FS2004, I doubt the island is accurately modelled (if it is there at all, I haven't looked!) and with one Comair flight* (which will have to fly with some empty seats to reach St H) per week across hundreds of miles of water to a very simple airport I don't think it will really rate as an exciting place to fly to, much as I love the place.

Best regards,

John

* - word is that an airline called Atlantic Star Airlines has been formed to fly charters to St H from the UK but they will have to make a fuel stop somewhere (not Ascension)..

Well BA/Comair are due to start their service around that opening time,and i`m sure SAA and FlySafair will follow it`s a great place as a an angling destination and i`m sure the Islanders will benefit from Tourism there`s even talk of a B757 Service from Blighty!

The airport has become something of a local joke, you can even buy tee-shirts with all the planned opening dates crossed out.

Reminds me of my hometown. Which is planning and building an airport since ... about 1993 ...

As an aficionado of St Helena - my interest in the island goes back 20 odd years - I personally think they are doing a very good job considering the remoteness of the place.  I certainly would not criticise them as I have no experience or expertise in designing and building airports.  Considering the SS St Helena has reached the end of its useful life building an airport on the island is the only, and sensible, option to take.

Dijvid

Considering the SS St Helena has reached the end of its useful life building an airport on the island is the only, and sensible, option to take.

I presume you mean the RMS ST Helena?

You have things back to front. It hasn't reached the end of its life, only the end of its "useful" life because the airport has been built.

A great shame, a wonderful ship full of character with characterful crew and staff. It will no doubt find some work with another operator in due course. It will be sadly missed.

Not sure how the Saints that work in the Falklands will get there now . . .

John