Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Phenom Autopilot

I just got my test version of the Phenom 300 and have started to have a look at the autopilot.

First thing I changed was to have the PFD show the VS mode, FPM, ALTS  in FD mode, as well as in AP mode.  That helps with initial flight prep.

Second thing I've run across is that the Altitude selector only steps in 1000s, which is OK, except for when I hit ALT at say 4400 feet.  From now on, I can only select 5400, 6400 etc which cannot be right.

Anyone else run into this and is there a way to reset this?

Any other favorite peeves (except for the FLC mode which I have no way of improving upon) that you would like me to look into?

Bert

Hi Bert. With the altitude select try right clicking on the knob to change to hundreds. This is with the first patch.

Dave.

Hi Bert. With the altitude select try right clicking on the knob to change to hundreds. This is with the first patch.

Dave.

Bingo!  Thanks Dave, that works and solves the problem  :smile:

Bert

Is there a way that you could explain how you made these changes to the autopilot?

Dave.

Does the RW aircraft do something similar?  E.g. is it a push and turn or something?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Sorry Greg I don't know about the real jet. I just figured this out by mucking around with it after the service pack.

Dave.

Does the RW aircraft do something similar?  E.g. is it a push and turn or something?

Zero experience in the real aircraft, but based on all the documentation I read so far, I am not even sure the ALT SEL rotary knob allows 1000 feet increments.

Indeed, everything points to the conclusion that the altitude selector knob in the Embraer Prodigy Flight Deck 300 mounted in the Phenom 300 only allows altitude target changes with 100 ft increments, except when in approach mode, where a fine tune with 10 ft increments is available:

ALTIMETER

[...]

Setting the Selected Altitude:

Turn the ALT SEL Knob to set the Selected Altitude in 100-ft increments up to the aircraft’s service ceiling. If set to Metric mode, the ALT SEL Knob adjusts the Selected Altitude in 50-meter increments.

If a Minimum Descent Altitude/Decision Height (MDA/DH) value has been set, this value is also available as a Selected Altitude setting when turning the ALT SEL Knob.

and:

7.1 AFCS CONTROLS

[...]

14 ALT SEL Knob

Adjusts the Selected Altitude and bug in 100-ft increments (a finer resolution of 10 feet is available under approach conditions)

This also appears to be confirmed by the Embraer Phenom 100 Pilot Training Manual (I don't have the manual for the 300, though):

HHoHvtT.jpg

I am puzzled. I hope David will chime in to confirm or refute this.

I am not even sure the ALT SEL rotary knob allows 1000 feet increments.

I was guessing that.  Surprised about the 10 ft increment thing...I wonder if it becomes automatically active when you press the App button or if you have to push the AltSel knob to get that.  Truly, I think they should just replace the 1000' increment with 100' increment.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

I was guessing that.  Surprised about the 10 ft increment thing...I wonder if it becomes automatically active when you press the App button or if you have to push the AltSel knob to get that.  Truly, I think they should just replace the 1000' increment with 100' increment.

I've found nothing specific about this. My understanding is that the 10-feet increment becomes automatically available once you are in APR mode. Not sure, however.

Hope David or any other real Phenom pilot will clarify this as well.

100/1000 would easy to change and could be set in an ini file.

For now, the right click toggle seems to work OK for me.

I like the convenience of the 1000 option, but others could just leave it in 100 mode.

Is there a way that you could explain how you made these changes to the autopilot?

This is actually a small change in the G1000 PFD code.

I'll be sending whatever I come up with to Carenado for consideration and if they do not  include it in the SP2 update, I hope to make it available via PM, as with other planes in the past.

Bert

I'll be sending whatever I come up with to Carenado for consideration and if they do not include it in the SP2 update, I hope to make it available via PM, as with other planes in the past.

I hope they include your changes (and don't leave yet another jet unfinished).  What kinds of framerates are you seeing, Bert?

Gregg Seipp

Great to see Corenado asking for your help Bert.  This could lead to some great changes. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

So, there's a twist with the ALT SEL knob...ha!  Get it?  Get it?  "Twist!"

Ahem.....

On the real GFC700, this knob is "rate-based": the more rapidly you turn the ALT SEL knob, the larger the increment you will see.  After about 4 fast turns in a row, it will start going in 1000' increments.  If you turn it slowly, you will get 100' increments.  Actually, now that I think about it...all the knobs on the AFCS panel had this feature, HDG, CRS, SPD, etc.

Has anyone tested the VNAV function already?  :smile: Or isn't it simulated...?

VNAV is supposed to be released along with the AIRAC support with the final release. The current version 1.2 has no VNAV yet.