Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Phenom Autopilot

Installed Version 1.3 and still the Problems with the AP.

The Jet shoot over the Speed I have dialed in, the Altitude isn't accepted and it shoot over it...

What is Carenado doing with this one?? :-/ :mad: :Shame On You: :nea:

This is surprising. Are you using also the extension or only the base version?

Altitude capture works fine since 1.2 with or without Bert's mod. This was fixed weeks ago by Carenado, although FLC tends to be a little 'aggressive', as reported here by David, which was a real Phenom pilot. 

As fas as shooting over the selected speed is concerned, take into account that FLC is not a real autothrottle. As per manual, the speed selected on the FLC must always be supported by an adequate power. Another little problem you may find with FLC is that, when you hit the FLC key, the current airspeed should be immediately shown in the Airspeed Reference, which does not happen either in 1.2 or 1.3 (this was corrected by Bert, though). But, in general, if you use an adequate power during climbing, FLC works as expected (more or less).

So the Autopilot in the 300 works so much different in as in the 100? In the 100 I dail in the Altitude, the Speed the HDG and press "AP" and it goes straight Forward as it should...

I have tested it few minutes ago without the Extension for Navigraph.

The Altitude isn't captured. When I dial in 12000ft it climbs straight over it.

BTW: With the Navigraph Extension i can't use the whole 300. Get a CTD when it is loading...

It's awful to be the Beta-Tester for such a Price... Sad Carenado didn't get Refunds...

I just loaded 1.3 and I'm still having difficulty.  Perhaps I am doing something wrong?  I dial in the selected altitude, control VS with VS control.  I believe once ALTS is dialed in, it should be "armed" in white lettering on the right side of the AP display on the FMS.  When it reaches the desired altitude, ATLS should take over and maintain that altitude, correct?

My work around is to control VS with the VS autopilot control, and just hit the altitude hold button when I reach the desired altitude. 

Anyone know how to arm the selected altitude on the AP?

Hey everyone!

I purchased the 300 (v1.3) along with the Navigraph expansion. I'm having the following issues:

1. Cannot load any SID/STAR/Approaches into the G1000. Regardless of what airport I fly into, clicking the PROC button displays NONE in each of the data fields.

2. The autopilot refuses to capture ILS approaches, even when manually entering the frequency and course, nor will it capture a glideslope. The HSI will properly display the nav and glideslope data, but the autopilot cannot fly the approach.

I do, however, have a solution to the ALTS/VS issue people are having:

Prior to take-off (or after, if you have time), dial in your target altitude (top of knob dials in 1000's/bottom of knob dials 100's), then click the VS button on the autopilot. The ALTS will show up armed, in white, and the VS will be pink. You'll need to dial in your target VS, and the autopilot will trim to capture that VS. I do not know if this is proper, and you'll need to monitor your own airspeed with throttle, but this is the most precise way to climb.

Also, the VNAV function does work in a really rudimentary way. If you enter altitudes while creating your flightplan, and select VNAV, the autopilot will use a VERY slow climb/descent to attain the specified altitudes at each waypoint. Instead of using a standard rate of ascent/descent, it will use the entire leg of the plan to attain the altitude. So, imagine a 5k foot descent spread over 85 miles... 

So, that's all I have.... Hope it helps.

Tim

This is embarrassing, but does one have to do something special to get the autopilot to do anything? I tried v 1.3 with and without the Navigraph extension today, and the only button on the autopilot panel that did anything is the yaw damper. Everything else remains "off", i.e., it is indicated as off in the little help text that pops up when you hover over a button and also does not trigger any changes on the PFD.

I do recall that the AP seemed to work OK in v 1.1, but I haven't flown the 300 much since then because I was waiting for the extension.

Thanks,

Peter

Hey everyone!

I purchased the 300 (v1.3) along with the Navigraph expansion. I'm having the following issues:

1. Cannot load any SID/STAR/Approaches into the G1000. Regardless of what airport I fly into, clicking the PROC button displays NONE in each of the data fields.

2. The autopilot refuses to capture ILS approaches, even when manually entering the frequency and course, nor will it capture a glideslope. The HSI will properly display the nav and glideslope data, but the autopilot cannot fly the approach.

I do, however, have a solution to the ALTS/VS issue people are having:

Prior to take-off (or after, if you have time), dial in your target altitude (top of knob dials in 1000's/bottom of knob dials 100's), then click the VS button on the autopilot. The ALTS will show up armed, in white, and the VS will be pink. You'll need to dial in your target VS, and the autopilot will trim to capture that VS. I do not know if this is proper, and you'll need to monitor your own airspeed with throttle, but this is the most precise way to climb.

Also, the VNAV function does work in a really rudimentary way. If you enter altitudes while creating your flightplan, and select VNAV, the autopilot will use a VERY slow climb/descent to attain the specified altitudes at each waypoint. Instead of using a standard rate of ascent/descent, it will use the entire leg of the plan to attain the altitude. So, imagine a 5k foot descent spread over 85 miles... 

So, that's all I have.... Hope it helps.

Tim

Tim,

I have been using this procedure but I can never get the ALTS to show up as "armed" consistently. Perhaps I wasn't "arming" ALTS prior to takeoff? Even if this works, it doesn't do me any good if I am directed to a different altitude during the flight. 

Let me know if you have any other thoughts on this.

This is embarrassing, but does one have to do something special to get the autopilot to do anything? I tried v 1.3 with and without the Navigraph extension today, and the only button on the autopilot panel that did anything is the yaw damper. Everything else remains "off", i.e., it is indicated as off in the little help text that pops up when you hover over a button and also does not trigger any changes on the PFD.

I do recall that the AP seemed to work OK in v 1.1, but I haven't flown the 300 much since then because I was waiting for the extension.

Thanks,

Peter

Sorry to hear this.  The only issue I am having is with the ALTS function, although I admit that I like to hand fly my ILS approach and can't comment on the APR functionality of the AP.

Hmm...seems like you may have a problem with the database?  I suggest updating your navigraph data, or perhaps uninstalling/reinstalling both add-ons.  When you load the P300 for the first time, don't touch anything for about 2-3 minutes as this could potentially interfere with the nav database building in the background.

I believe Carenado's still using the default FSX autopilot behavior for APPR, which means that it will only capture under very specific conditions and probably not worth your trouble.  I guess you have to get some instrument practice like ckelly14  :wink: .

I just loaded 1.3 and I'm still having difficulty.  Perhaps I am doing something wrong?  I dial in the selected altitude, control VS with VS control.  I believe once ALTS is dialed in, it should be "armed" in white lettering on the right side of the AP display on the FMS.  When it reaches the desired altitude, ATLS should take over and maintain that altitude, correct?

You're right...in the real world, as they say, ALTS is armed by default any time you have a selected altitude >0 and the flight director is on (excepting approach modes).  There's no input required to activate it (even in the default pitch hold mode) hence it's "dummy proof" to prevent you from accidentally busting altitude.  Your workaround seems solid.  

Now, on a related subject...I like to use pitch hold when climbing out.  It strikes a better balance between the roller-coaster FLC, and VS, which requires you to regularly adjust the vert. speed.  

If you de-select VS, ALTS and PIT will be displayed on the FMA...however the UP/DN wheel still responds as if you're in VS, so it's not really in pitch hold.  Confusing indications...  I've found that there's no way to make pitch hold work directly with the controls on Carenado's AP...BUT you can use the FSX "sync flight director pitch" followed by the "increase/decrease pitch ref" controls to do it.  This will override any vertical modes you have selected, i.e. VS (or PIT aka "fake VS mode"), but altitude capture should still work as long as you see ALTS displayed.  I hope that makes sense?

Hmm...seems like you may have a problem with the database?  I suggest updating your navigraph data, or perhaps uninstalling/reinstalling both add-ons.  When you load the P300 for the first time, don't touch anything for about 2-3 minutes as this cgould potentially interfere with the nav database building in the background.

I had the same problem. I solved by deleting the Navigraph folder under C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\CarenadoNavigraph, then letting the Navigraph FMS Data Manager update the cycle and finally loading first the Hawker 850XP to have the new database loaded into the CarenadoNavigraph folder. Only after this I succeeded loading the Phenom 300 with the extension and the updated AIRAC cycle.

And yes: when the window "Loading database" appears, don't touch anything until the process is completed (it normally requires 2-3 minutes).

Thanks,

Peter

OK, I think I figured it out. I had some problems with the loaded default situation in P3D. When I started P3D, I always got the error message "error loading gps engine". It appeared to have no effect on my other planes (all 3rd party), so I always clicked it away. However, since I read somewhere that the Carenado Garmin 1000 is based on the default GPS I now tried to fix this. I had to manually remove the GPS_ENGINE section in the saved flight situation to do that. Now it appears the autopilot is working again.

Peter

Hmm...seems like you may have a problem with the database?  I suggest updating your navigraph data, or perhaps uninstalling/reinstalling both add-ons.  When you load the P300 for the first time, don't touch anything for about 2-3 minutes as this could potentially interfere with the nav database building in the background.

You're absolutely right! I uninstalled the Navigraph extension, then reinstalled and updated, loaded up, and it worked perfectly. It even resolved my problem with the A/P capturing the ILS. I do have a question about whether the A/P will capture a glideslope, though. 

I flew a picture-perfect approach at 125 kts, flaps at 2. Had the plane level at 2100 feet to intercept the glideslope while lined up perfectly on the approach course. As the GS got close, I clicked the APP button, and the plane ignored the GS, but never budged laterally from the approach course. I wouldn't bother to ask this on a forum, but well, you know how Carenado is with documentation.

So, any ideas?

Tim,

I have been using this procedure but I can never get the ALTS to show up as "armed" consistently. Perhaps I wasn't "arming" ALTS prior to takeoff? Even if this works, it doesn't do me any good if I am directed to a different altitude during the flight. 

Let me know if you have any other thoughts on this.

Sorry to hear this.  The only issue I am having is with the ALTS function, although I admit that I like to hand fly my ILS approach and can't comment on the APR functionality of the AP.

I did a short test flight, following my own instructions, and it works exactly as I described. You can load your flightplan, dial in your assigned departure altitude, click VS, and dial in your desired climb rate, then click Nav or HDG depending on how you're flying. Once you're airborne, arm the YD, then activate the A/P when you're ready. The plane will then trim to your selected vertical speed, and turn to your selected heading or Nav Track. Each altitude change can be handled the same way, whether climbing or descending. Just dial in the altitude change, then click VS, and dial in your desired vertical speed. Following this procedure, each time you dial in a new altitude and click VS, ALTS will show in white, and VS will show in green (I said pink earlier). Once the plane approaches the selected altitude, VS will disappear, PIT will appear, and the plane will trim up to the altitude you've dialed in. Once it's level, ALTS will turn green.

One little thing I noticed with the Phenom 300 is there is no dedicated Avionics switch. Since I use a Saitek switch panel, I have to use the avionics switch on the panel. (You'll know Avionics are active if the Standby Attitude Indicator (above the MFD) is on) I have to wonder if not having the Avionics turned on would cause some of the issues people are having. And, I also wonder if the real Phenom has an Avionics switch, and if so, why is it missing in this plane.

Anyway, I do hope this helps. Once you get used to this procedure, it becomes 2nd nature. I'm sure it's not accurate for the real-world aircraft, but it's a solid procedure for most any FS aircraft.

I recently purchased the Carenado Phenom 300 version 1.3 and the Navigraph Expansion Pack for FSX.  I am currently working on a FS MaNiA video series featuring the 300.  This forum is where I come to figure out how to fly the often quirky avionics/autopilots of the Carenado fleet.  Many thanks to everyone here for posting very helpful tips and tricks.  A major thank you to Bert for providing so many mods that take these airplanes to a much more realistic level.

A major issue I was having with the 1.3 / Navigraph version, was transitioning from enroute GPS navigation to the ILS approach mode.  When I was established inbound on the localizer course, I would press the "CDI" softkey on the PFD to switch from GPS to NAV 1  (I always have to manually tune the ILS frequency into NAV 1 in spite of pre-selecting the approach using the MFD "Proc" key)  The AFCS, however, would continue to navigate with the GPS and refused to intercept the ILS glideslope.  I noticed the PFD "OBS" soft key had changed to "GPS".  Pressing that key didn't do diddly, so I figured the simulator must be stuck in GPS mode.  I mapped the FSX GPS/NAV toggle command to the "N" key on my keyboard.  The next time navigated enroute using the GPS mode, intercepted the localizer course inbound, switched to "Heading" mode on the autopilot, switched the CDI from GPS to NAV 1 using the CDI softkey on the PFD, and then toggled the GPS/NAV mode to NAV using the "N" key on my keyboard.  The "GPS" softkey changed from GPS to "OBS".  I activated the approach mode on the AFCS and the autopilot flew the approach, intercepted the glideslope, and descended the airplane on glideslope as expected. 

I don't know if anyone else has had this issue, or if this is even the best work around, but it worked for me flying from Anchorage to Bethel, Alaska.  I have not yet applied any of Bert's upgrades, however, I plan to add Bert's GTN 750 version to my hanger soon.  I hope this helps someone else!  Cheers!

Hi Tim,

thank you for showing up here.

The "GPS" softkey changed from GPS to "OBS".  I activated the approach mode on the AFCS and the autopilot flew the approach, intercepted the glideslope, and descended the airplane on glideslope as expected. 

I don't know if anyone else has had this issue, or if this is even the best work around, but it worked for me flying from Anchorage to Bethel, Alaska.

I confirm your problem, except that I have never seen the OBS appearing on the PFD since version 1.0. I have no explanation for this, the OBS feature simply does not work and, to be honest, I am even surprised you mentioned it in your post. And yes, I also see it changing to GPS in that situation. In general, I set the ILS approach manually instead of loading the approach from the PROC page. Apart from this limitation, all ILS and RNAV approaches I tried so far were performed as expected.

I contacted Carenado yesterday about an issue I am experimenting while loading the Departure/Arrival/Approach procedure using the VC knobs (seems to only work with the 2D panel here and even so with an unusual lag). They asked me to send a video, if possible, anf they promised they would look into it. On a different note, airways work fine, I finally understood my error.

One thing we could do here is to collect all confirmed issues both in the base version and the extension and report it to Carenado.

I have not yet applied any of Bert's upgrades, however, I plan to add Bert's GTN 750 version to my hanger soon.  I hope this helps someone else!  Cheers!

Bert will be in vacation until the end of the month, however I feel no need for a GTN750 in business jets like these. If I may ask: why would you give up VNAV?

Is there a Carenado business jet that does work correctly, If I felt the need to buy one which one would be the one to go for ?

GTN 750 is the only way to go in a Corenado bird. I would rather have a working navigation system even if it meant losing a feature from the broken navigation system that comes with almost every Corenado aircraft. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png