Sign in to follow this  
Capt Speirs

Airbus 400M V2

There is earlier discussion of it but the forum Search feature doesn't seem to be working for me right now. I have uninstalled it twice. VC clickable enough but a bit cartoonish. A wonky implementation of GPS-based navigation with the stock FSX database (not  updateable). Flew OK but a bit 'flat' and I never hod the sensation of 'weight.'  Rather poor sound set.  My overall impression was it was on par with the Virtavia C17; it gave you the experience of flying a military transport, but it wasn't anything to write home about.

Hans Soule

There is earlier discussion of it but the forum Search feature doesn't seem to be working for me right now. I have uninstalled it twice. VC clickable enough but a bit cartoonish. A wonky implementation of GPS-based navigation with the stock FSX database (not  updateable). Flew OK but a bit 'flat' and I never hod the sensation of 'weight.'  Rather poor sound set.  My overall impression was it was on par with the Virtavia C17; it gave you the experience of flying a military transport, but it wasn't anything to write home about.

The move over to the different site name, avsim.com from forum.avsim messed up all the searches. Too bad, I like cargo aircraft. I remember reading long ago the C17 had a rumored avionics upgrade but that never happened.

The autopilot is pretty much default: It commands an adjustable vertical speed for climbs and descents, selected airspeed controls the autothrottle. So there's neither an open descent nor an open climb ("FLCH"/"pitch for speed").

Thrust detents aren't modeled either. FMA indications like TOGA, CLB etc. are mapped to certain thrust intervals, but there is no such thing as a climb thrust limit. Thrust will eventually be increased to max in a climb, and the FMA indication will change from CLB via MCT to TOGA, even well outside the stall protection area.

You can clearly see the developer's dedication in other aspects of the aircraft (certainly a "Labor(ie) of love" :Just Kidding:), but I think the Airbus-specific systems leave a bit to be desired.