Sign in to follow this  
CFIJose

Windows 10 FSX Box 2nd Try & Conclusion

My second attempt at upgrading to win 10 yielded the conclusion that (on my system) FSX works, but at a cost of slower boot times and about 5-10 fps drop in performance. Installing REX 4 took a lot longer too. This could be due to the fact that I'm testing on an upgrade and not a full clean install of win 10. 

I was able to get my Creative X-Fi Titanium and GoFlight Modules to work well and a stable FSX by running as win 7 & as admin. I found that the Nvida 353.62 and Inspector worked fine in DX9 mode. It looks like MS fixed the no preview window issue. The GNS 430/530, GTN 750, PMDG 737, and the F1 Mustang all worked with no CTDs. I completed several flights with ASN without any problems.

I like the new added features such as, apps, edge browser, and the quickness of how programs load and close, except for my beloved FSX. Slower loading times and a significant drop in FPS is a strong deciding factor to stick with win 7 for a few more months.

I'm still pondering whether to do a full clean install. I'm not sure if that it will help improve loading times and fps.

Jose

FSX Afficionado

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Having to Run as Admin suggests that the Users Group doesn't have proper permissions to FSX and makes more work for the security checking. Another glaring problem running FSX in compatibility mode forces more work around date time and number formatting, none of which is helpful to FSX. Leave compatibility settings alone, only use for incompatible programs. Both of these basic errors are likely to decrease FSX performance and can be the cause of other weird problems.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I did the upgrade at first, but ended up doing the clean install afterwards (not the RESET option, but a full reinstall from a thumb drive) because, like you, I didn't trust the performance.

After having completed a clean install of W10 and P3D, it is like night-and-day. Fast Boot is actually fast booting, with only a few seconds between power on and desktop, and the strange performance problems I had with two of my M500 SSDs are gone.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

I did the upgrade at first, but ended up doing the clean install afterwards (not the RESET option, but a full reinstall from a thumb drive) because, like you, I didn't trust the performance.

After having completed a clean install of W10 and P3D, it is like night-and-day. Fast Boot is actually fast booting, with only a few seconds between power on and desktop, and the strange performance problems I had with two of my M500 SSDs are gone.

Thanks! I'm going to try a full clean install.

Did you retrieve your key before your full install?

I wouldn't expect much from a clean install. For me, this changed absolutely nothing in terms of performance. Now I'm sitting there with a perf loss of 5 fps, which makes the sim quite stuttery in some conditions and leaves me without interest in flying for some time now...it's a real shame..

I too have just finished a second bite at upgrading after I couldn't get FSX (DX10 mode) working at the first attempt.  Seems fine now but had to deal with the following..

- The ACM for the VRS Superbug only works in Windows 7 compatibility mode, otherwise it hangs and then eventually crashes due to a compiler timeout.

- REX Essential Overdrive only works well in Windows 7 compatibility mode, otherwise it was taking literally half an hour to initialise.

- FSX would CTD if you ran it with the 'maximised' setting in FSX.CFG set to 1. Although switching to full-screen mode is largely fine as long as you don't start in it.  Changing that flag and deleting the shaders were all I had to change from my Windows 7 setup.

- Auto GPU scaling doesn't seem to work (I run FSX at 1920x1080 on a 1900x1200 panel), although I believe this is a nVidia driver issue? The workaround is easy enough though.

Did you retrieve your key before your full install?

No user accessible key is required for Windows 10. Once a genuine version of Windows 7/8.1 is upgraded to Windows 10, that hardware configuration (your specific PC), along with your Microsoft Account credentials, is combined with the Windows 10 version you upgraded to and forms a "key" that is stored at Microsoft. From that point on, anytime you perform a clean install with a Windows 10 ISO on that specific PC, it will authenticate as genuine since Microsoft has a record of the PC hardware configuration associated with your Microsoft Account. You will never have to enter a key again with Windows 10 on that specific PC.

If you change your hardware on that specific PC, there's a threshold that might trigger the PC as "Not Genuine" (such as changing the motherboard or processor) in which case a simple call to the number Microsoft provides you will get the PC re-authenticated.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

No user accessible key is required for Windows 10. Once a genuine version of Windows 7/8.1 is upgraded to Windows 10, that hardware configuration (your specific PC), along with your Microsoft Account credentials, is combined with the Windows 10 version you upgraded to and forms a "key" that is stored at Microsoft. From that point on, anytime you perform a clean install with a Windows 10 ISO on that specific PC, it will authenticate as genuine since Microsoft has a record of the PC hardware configuration associated with your Microsoft Account. You will never have to enter a key again with Windows 10 on that specific PC.

If you change your hardware on that specific PC, there's a threshold that might trigger the PC as "Not Genuine" (such as changing the motherboard or processor) in which case a simple call to the number Microsoft provides you will get the PC re-authenticated.

Hi Doug,

That's what I read everywhere, but wanted confirmation. I have a retail copy of Win 7 Ultimate and I will be able to transfer my license. That said, I was hoping for better performance and FSX compatibility. I know that it works for some, but all I've experienced is poor performance and CTDs. The only way that FSX runs on windows (on my system) is in win 7 & admin mode. It's slower and less stable than win 7. It's just not worth my time.

I'll wait a few months. 

Thanks.

Jose