Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

Night environment: Shorter lights?

Hi Chris,

I wonder if you've ever given any thought to shorter (in terms of height) lights.  I know there's probably a standard height for light poles but, often trees obscure the lights in the real world...especially in neighborhoods. I wonder what the effect would be?

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Hi Gregg,

we sure have gave allot of thought to light height; it is a crucial part of building the view; we use regulation height for lights in general,

there is not much benefit in rendering short lights features as you stated; these get blocked by other objects,

since out vector placement is very accurate; our lights aren’t usually blocked by other objects;

if the light emitted is affected/blocked by another building or tree object; it will also happen in real-life;

therefore the effect is still acceptable and represent real world situations; not all light posts are unobstructed 100%

Well, I guess my point is that the trees in FSX aren't always a good representation...might be on the short side.  A tree blocking a light is a pretty normal thing might add to the natural flickering you see in the distance.  Just a thought.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM