Sign in to follow this  
belongedtoair

Out of memory management, are my stats normal?

Hi everyone.

Yesterday I was about to do a flight. I've never worried about OOM's because I haven't got one since that day. I took off and after 1 hour of flying, I've started descent.

While descending and getting close to airport, I got an OOM. Only thing I looked was the Windows task manager and it said 3.90 memory is in use.

So I've started to concern a bit and downloaded ProccessExplorer to see how much memory uses P3D. This time, I made a shorter flight.

While I was at the gate, it was about 1.1 GB. I landed successfully without an OOM and the memory usage was 1.5GB for P3D and 3.6 in task manager.

Only addons I use are just the departure and arrival airports and NGX. No REX, ORBX or anything like that.

So I want to ask is it normal that P3D uses 1.1 GB at while at gate? And is there a limit of it? Like "if it hits 2gb you'll get an OOM probably".

Thanks.

No hard and fast figures I'm afraid. A LOT depends on where and what you fly. I've started flights in complex a/c in dense areras where my remaining VAS was less that 900mb and made it easily through an hour long flight.  Other times, I've started with 1.5g and not made it through an hour.

If you use FSUIPC you can set it to display the remaining VAS on screen. This can help tell you what you have going in different areas. Not sure if you need the registered version of FSUIPC for that function.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I set the FSUIPC to display the remaining VAS like you said. After 1 hour of flying, I was about to land but I couldn't so I decided to go around. Then while I was declaring a missed approach to ATC, p3d has stopped working. The VAS remaining according to FSUIPC was 1969680. I assume it's about 1.9 gigs, right?

So if I'm right and 1.9gigs of memory was still available, what 'causes the sim to stop working?

(I'm using Pro Atc X as the atc software and FSGRW for weather too)

So if I'm right and 1.9gigs of memory was still available, what 'causes the sim to stop working?

(I'm using Pro Atc X as the atc software and FSGRW for weather too)

Whatever it was it had noting to do with VAS. There are many reasons for the sim to crash but you've eliminated OOM as one.

If it keeps happening, there might be cause for concern but if it's only every now and then - not too much you can do. try looking at the windows event viewer to see if there's any indication of what happened.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Just finished a 2 hour flight without any problems. It's really weird. The problem seems gone.

Anyway, I'm planning to do a clean reinstall if the issue still occurs. Thanks for the suggestions Vic.

Try this;

Make the VC in 2D on FSX settings and see if you get again OOM. I`ve try this and it seems to work.

My%20Signature.jpg