Sign in to follow this  
TristanHarmsen

Networked configuration with FSX Steam Edition

Hi!  I've been looking all over the interwebs for a guide on how to run programs like Active Sky Next on a separate PC, but all of them seem to focus on boxed editions of FSX.  Does anyone know how to accomplish the same thing with FSX Steam, if indeed it can be done?  

Thank you!  

- Tristan

Hi!  I've been looking all over the interwebs for a guide on how to run programs like Active Sky Next on a separate PC, but all of them seem to focus on boxed editions of FSX.  Does anyone know how to accomplish the same thing with FSX Steam, if indeed it can be done?  

You need to install the SimConnect DLL(s) on the Networked PC. The FSX-SE installation includes all of the versions of SimConnect you might need for any application using SimConnect. Apart from that just follow the instructions included with Active Sky.

For the SimConnect DLLs, go to

Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK.

There you will see more subfolders.

In lib there's SimConnect.msi. That will install the FSX-SE SimConnect.

In LegacyInterfaces you'll see three more folders, for RTM, SP1 and XPACK. There are SimConnect.msi's in each, and they will install their relevant versions.

There's no harm in installing all 4 of these, and this will guarantee to allow any SimConnect application to connect no matter how old. However, you probably only really need the FSX-SE and XPACK versions.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Thanks for the reply Pete.  I've installed all of the simconnect components on the networked PCs, but ASN does not connect.  Does ASN perhaps need to be installed on the FSX computer but run from the networked one?  Also, whenever I've come across a how-to, it's always involved some fiddling with .cfg and .xml files.  Perhaps I'm making this too complicated.  :s

-Tristan

Thanks for the reply Pete.  I've installed all of the simconnect components on the networked PCs, but ASN does not connect.  Does ASN perhaps need to be installed on the FSX computer but run from the networked one?  Also, whenever I've come across a how-to, it's always involved some fiddling with .cfg and .xml files.

I'm sure it is well explained in the ASN documentation. ASN has to install modules into FSX-SE or whatever. You MUST install it on the FS PC, even if you do not run it there. The installer sets up the FS interNal modules which enables the fine precision weather is creates.

And, yes, there is more to it than merely installing those SimConnect DLLs on the client. There's a SimConnect.CFG for the client and a SimConnect.xml for the Server. Those files tell FSX-SE how to connect -- ASN doesn't do the connection, it is an FSX/FSX-SE function. This is your so-called "fiddling with /cfg and .xml files"! 

Please do refer to the parts of the ASN documentation which explain this. I'm sure the same details are provided for each program you may wish to run this way. And as far as I remember, Active Sky even provide the files for you, all you'd need to do is fill in the Server name or IP address I think.

Pete

Hi! I've been looking all over the interwebs for a guide on how to run programs like Active Sky Next on a separate PC, but all of them seem to focus on boxed editions of FSX. Does anyone know how to accomplish the same thing with FSX Steam, if indeed it can be done?

Hi, Tristan,

In addition to what Pete said:

Make sure that you have the latest ASN version installed -- it has an option to use FSX Steam or Boxed and knows how Steam works, which earlier versions may not  (this option may not show up if you only have the Steam version installed).  Also, make sure you copy the ASConnect_FSX_Install.exe file that ASN installs on the ASN/client PC, over to the FSX/server PC, and make sure you run that version.  It installs files into FSX.  If you run a version of this file from an older version of ASN, you will have problems.  (You don't need to install the whole ASN program on the FSX/server PC, just on the client.  But you do need to run the proper version of ASConnect_FSX_Install.exe on the FSX/Server PC.)

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Also, make sure you copy the ASConnect_FSX_Install.exe file that ASN installs on the ASN/client PC, over to the FSX/server PC, and make sure you run that version.  It installs files into FSX.  If you run a version of this file from an older version of ASN, you will have problems.  (You don't need to install the whole ASN program on the FSX/server PC, just on the client.  But you do need to run the proper version of ASConnect_FSX_Install.exe on the FSX/Server PC.)

Ah, thanks. I didn't realise they supplied a separate installer for the FS module part and it's EXE. Thanks.

I used to run earlier versions of Active Sky on a Client, but quite honestly I don't find ASN affects FSX-SE performance in the slightest running it on the main PC.

Pete

I used to run earlier versions of Active Sky on a Client, but quite honestly I don't find ASN affects FSX-SE performance in the slightest running it on the main PC.

Hi, Pete,

I like to run ASN in full-screen mode, and also to look at the various features available, such as destination wx info, map and tables showing enroute weather, at the same time. 

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Here you can find all you need for ASN. I use FSX-SE with ASN networked, follow strictly this guide:

http://support.hifitechinc.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/6/3/networked-configuration-with-simconnect

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

I like to run ASN in full-screen mode, and also to look at the various features available, such as destination wx info, map and tables showing enroute weather, at the same time. 

That's fine, but I am flying in an enclosed cockpit. I get that info from the Text file ASN also produces, with departure, destination, and en-route weather, and display it on a little monitor on my cockpit wall using a small Lua plug-in to WideClient. ;-)

Pete