Sign in to follow this  
787WannabePilot

Heading is off for the runway on an ILS approach, better to edit the airport or the airport data in PMDG?

Landed (or attempted to) land at 22 R at KJFK.

Noticed (after going around and flying it visually) in the aptdata files that the heading was far off from the what the airport was listed.

Mind you, this is a downloaded airport (I think from Ray Smith). So, its an updated version of the stock airport.

Should I edit the pmdg file or the airport through the editor?

Not sure what you think is wrong... the published approach ILS 22R shows an offset LOC antenna. Notice it is along side the runway rather than at the end.  Approach is a couple degrees different from runway centerline.

Don't edit anything.  Check the current charts, I think you'll find your answer.

Dan Downs KCRP

It was having me land off the runway to the side.

Correct. The LOC array is usually at the end of the runway, on centerline. In this case, the LOC array is between 22L and 22R. It is not an array you would autoland with, because autoland follows the line straight to the LOC array, which is pointed down a whole bunch of grass. It's usually like this (on centerline).

Kyle Rodgers

Just a follow up..

Just did a flight from KJFK to Bermuda (TXKF). 

This time, I checked the airport chart for ILS runway 30. Didnt see any issues as was listed for KJFK.

However, the heading in the airport's ILS approach is different from the nav data for PMDG. Even more so, when I assigned the course as the airport's setting (rather than PMDG's setting), it reverted back to PMDG's setting. (Without my input, was odd).

Just a follow up..

Just did a flight from KJFK to Bermuda (TXKF).

This time, I checked the airport chart for ILS runway 30. Didnt see any issues as was listed for KJFK.

However, the heading in the airport's ILS approach is different from the nav data for PMDG. Even more so, when I assigned the course as the airport's setting (rather than PMDG's setting), it reverted back to PMDG's setting. (Without my input, was odd).

It isn't PMDG that makes the Navdata. It currently comes from Navigraph who use real world sources. If you update your Navdata you will find it matches the chart. However it won't necessarily natch what's in FSX.

ki9cAAb.jpg

It isn't PMDG that makes the Navdata. It currently comes from Navigraph who use real world sources. If you update your Navdata you will find it matches the chart. However it won't necessarily natch what's in FSX.

Yup, I understand. When I say "PMDG", I mean in their folder.

What I want to do is match the FSX with PMDG. I understand that requires a little bit of editing.

Yup, I understand. When I say "PMDG", I mean in their folder.

What I want to do is match the FSX with PMDG. I understand that requires a little bit of editing.

It requires a lot of editing if you want to use more than a few runways. There are some downloads available to correct whole regions but read the small print to make sure they don't break any internal FSX features you may use, such as the map or the flight planner.

PMDG have a  user option in the sim to use the FSX LOC course automatically instead of the Navdata. If you select that you never have to worry about it being wrong. It's slightly unrealistic in the NGX as the LOC course is manually set in the 737 and with this option enabled LOC course is set automatically. However it is convenient if you find the course error a problem.

ki9cAAb.jpg

It requires a lot of editing if you want to use more than a few runways. There are some downloads available to correct whole regions but read the small print to make sure they don't break any internal FSX features you may use, such as the map or the flight planner.

PMDG have a  user option in the sim to use the FSX LOC course automatically instead of the Navdata. If you select that you never have to worry about it being wrong. It's slightly unrealistic in the NGX as the LOC course is manually set in the 737 and with this option enabled LOC course is set automatically. However it is convenient if you find the course error a problem.

Sounds, good.

Thanks.