Sign in to follow this  
Gabvann

API.DLL CTD

I dont know what to do. My fsx is crashing every time that i install a new addon, and always is because API.DLL

I'm running FSX + SP2 on DX10 mode (DX10 Scenery Fixer). I dont have my pc overclocked. Might be a issue with FSUIPC? What i can do?

The API.dll indicates you ran out of memory or most likely virtual address space.  See at the end of the AVSIM CTD Guide the discussions about the api.dll.  The guide also has information about virtual address space and how to use your fsuipc utility to monitor how much you have left.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The API.dll indicates you ran out of memory or most likely virtual address space.  See at the end of the AVSIM CTD Guide the discussions about the api.dll.  The guide also has information about virtual address space and how to use your fsuipc utility to monitor how much you have left.

Best regards,

I dont think that thats the problem. It crashes on loading.

I dont think that thats the problem. It crashes on loading.

The api.dll is what makes fsx or any app work.  I do not understand how an app can crash with the api.dll as the fault when it hasn't even loaded.  The AVSIM CTD Guide provides guidance near the rear of the guide for freezes while loading a flight.  We did the work for you and searched all of the flight simulation websites, plus AVSIM, for solutions to the api.dll crash and we put those in the guide.

Most of the time, people just install a program.  They don't do it with Admin Rights, they don't disable User Access Controls, they don't disable any anti-virus program that might quarantine an important file belong to FSX and won't let it install, or it won't allow any registry changes because all of the security built into your computer system is there to protect you from evil, evil people who would love to destroy your computer.  So things are not installed correctly.  FSX may start up and then say, wait a minute, is this person (user) authorized to run this application? If it cannot figure that out, it will shutdown to save you from evil people.  It's rare but it happens.

It is impossible for anyone to diagnose your computer based on the information you provided.  As the guide states you should provide us with some system specs, run appcrashview and post the results of the crash here. 

You can try uninstalling/reinstalling FSX using the guidance at the following link - http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx

If you have the uiautomationcore.dll in your main fsx folder, remove it to a temporary folder.  A wrong version could mess up your computer and FSX.

You need to have Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable w/SP1 installed.  The AVSIM Guide tells you how to get it and more details.  FSX will not start up without this program installed.  It has to be the 32 bit version (x86) as FSX is a 32 bit application.  We had members who uninstalled this program thinking it was really old and they could not get FSX to start up.  When Microsoft created FSX, they used this program to make sure FSX was installed properly.  Check the Add/Remove programs.

You need to have Microsoft.net 2.0 installed.  Not sure if this will prevent the startup of FSX but it is needed.  When Microsoft released FSX, Microsoft.net 1.1 was installed.  You can't get that anymore without reinstalling FSX but Microsoft.net 2.0 can be found and downloaded.  The AVSIM CTD Guide has details and links. To determine if it is installed, you need to go to Windows Explorer and click on your C:\ drive.  In the search bar at the top right, type in Microsoft.net.  It will then show you all of the versions installed.  You want v2.0.50727 installed.

FSX will not use any of the other versions of Microsoft.net unless you have an addon that was developed for a later version.

Another solution that works for many is to move the fsx.cfg to a temporary folder, restart FSX and let it rebuild.  Works most of the time as many place tweaks in their config that simply do not work as they were employed improperly.

If that doesn't fix it, then you can move the dll.xml to a temporary folder (not automatically installed).  If it is there, move it to a temporary folder so it will not load.  If this fixes the problem of FSX not loading, then it is corrupted.  You will have to reinstall every addon that has an entry in the dll.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The api.dll is what makes fsx or any app work.  I do not understand how an app can crash with the api.dll as the fault when it hasn't even loaded.  The AVSIM CTD Guide provides guidance near the rear of the guide for freezes while loading a flight.  We did the work for you and searched all of the flight simulation websites, plus AVSIM, for solutions to the api.dll crash and we put those in the guide.

Most of the time, people just install a program.  They don't do it with Admin Rights, they don't disable User Access Controls, they don't disable any anti-virus program that might quarantine an important file belong to FSX and won't let it install, or it won't allow any registry changes because all of the security built into your computer system is there to protect you from evil, evil people who would love to destroy your computer.  So things are not installed correctly.  FSX may start up and then say, wait a minute, is this person (user) authorized to run this application? If it cannot figure that out, it will shutdown to save you from evil people.  It's rare but it happens.

It is impossible for anyone to diagnose your computer based on the information you provided.  As the guide states you should provide us with some system specs, run appcrashview and post the results of the crash here. 

You can try uninstalling/reinstalling FSX using the guidance at the following link - http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx

If you have the uiautomationcore.dll in your main fsx folder, remove it to a temporary folder.  A wrong version could mess up your computer and FSX.

You need to have Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable w/SP1 installed.  The AVSIM Guide tells you how to get it and more details.  FSX will not start up without this program installed.  It has to be the 32 bit version (x86) as FSX is a 32 bit application.  We had members who uninstalled this program thinking it was really old and they could not get FSX to start up.  When Microsoft created FSX, they used this program to make sure FSX was installed properly.  Check the Add/Remove programs.

You need to have Microsoft.net 2.0 installed.  Not sure if this will prevent the startup of FSX but it is needed.  When Microsoft released FSX, Microsoft.net 1.1 was installed.  You can't get that anymore without reinstalling FSX but Microsoft.net 2.0 can be found and downloaded.  The AVSIM CTD Guide has details and links. To determine if it is installed, you need to go to Windows Explorer and click on your C:\ drive.  In the search bar at the top right, type in Microsoft.net.  It will then show you all of the versions installed.  You want v2.0.50727 installed.

FSX will not use any of the other versions of Microsoft.net unless you have an addon that was developed for a later version.

Another solution that works for many is to move the fsx.cfg to a temporary folder, restart FSX and let it rebuild.  Works most of the time as many place tweaks in their config that simply do not work as they were employed improperly.

If that doesn't fix it, then you can move the dll.xml to a temporary folder (not automatically installed).  If it is there, move it to a temporary folder so it will not load.  If this fixes the problem of FSX not loading, then it is corrupted.  You will have to reinstall every addon that has an entry in the dll.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Problem solved! Thanks for the help.

Just deleted the old fsx.cfg and let fsx to rebuild it. And no more api.dll CTD.

Just deleted the old fsx.cfg and let fsx to rebuild it.

Yes.  Good show!  I thought of that at the end of my comments.  Means you had a tweak or setting that your computer does not like. Tweaks bad!

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM