Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of assembling my first computer soon (around Thanksgiving/Black Friday). I don't really have experience doing this, but I hear its pretty easy. Anyways, I want a computer that can run FSX well (like around 30-40fps on average) and can also run well with payware addons like the NGX, 777, and FSDT airports. I'm on a budget of about $700-900 including monitor and Windows and am thinking maybe prices for some parts may go down around Black Friday. I also live near a MicroCenter if that means anything.

I searched on PcPartPicker and found an interesting result.

http://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/52388-budget-pc-for-flight-simulator

What do you guys think? How many fps would this get?

Thanks!

(Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I'm just really new to buying computers and analyzing specs)

30-40 fps for 700-900

Not possible

Maybe with 2000 bucks... Microcenter might save you a couple hundred

For 30-40 avg you want i7 4790K and GTX980 ti - along with a solid motherboard (300 dollar range) and 8gb ram min) - expect to overclock it

For a true budget system consider the pentium G3258 highly OCed with a gtx 960 - that could get you 20-30 fps

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

FSX is terribly optimized. It also hates AMD stuff, so stick with Nvidia and Intel. Anyway, Ryan is right. You need a powerhouse of a PC to get over 30 fps in FSX. If anything, you can always join the P3D master race! :lol:

My system is rather mid-range, but I almost always get 30fps steady, even with ASN storms going on. You can check out my profile for the specs. I think my sim looks rather nice  :smile:

98DaTZh.png

P0oedSy.jpg

NEKdK0r.png

qIbp1CN.jpg

EDIT: And remember, in flight sims, you want SMOOTHNESS over high framerate.

https://pcdiy.asus.com/2015/08/build-a-pc-630-z170-gaming-build-6600k-gtx-950/

You might want to check this out...

$630...

You say you can go a couple of hundred dollars more, but this might be a good starting point.

Thats actually not a bad system.

The other option for OP is to look at second hand parts. I picked up a GTX 780 from an Avsim member for $135 and its awesome.

ZORAN

Thats actually not a bad system.

The other option for OP is to look at second hand parts. I picked up a GTX 780 from an Avsim member for $135 and its awesome.

True, it's not a bad system, not at all.

New Skylake platform. 6600K, only thing the CPU lacks is hyperthreading which we don't need. Overclockable. DDR4.

He says he has a couple of hundred dollars more he could spend, so he could spend that on the graphics card. Or maybe an SSD.

If he can build a system like this for that price, I see no reason why he should settle for used parts. Go new, with a full warranty.

I agree new is best however a lot of punters that stay in the upgrade loop are selling cards that are 1-2 yrs old and they are designed to last a lot LOT longer than that. The weak link in the above system is the GPU and I would scrap it because he may turn to P3D and that card will bring tears

ZORAN

Asus system is $630. He said he could pay up to $900.

For the extra, he could get a new GTX 970. Full warranty. Not sure if second hand warranties are transferable, I suspect not.

Asus system is $630. He said he could pay up to $900.

For the extra, he could get a new GTX 970. Full warranty. Not sure if second hand warranties are transferable, I suspect not.

Great idea!

ZORAN