Sign in to follow this  
RaptyrOne

Moving from FSX to Prepar3d

Hi all,

Reinstalling my entire PC as I was not particularly thrilled with the Win10 upgrade process. Seemed to bring in the odd crash in FSX that I never had in Win 7.

I have clean installed Windows 10 Pro x64 now. Just wondering if this might then be the right time to "upgrade" from FSX to Prepar3d. Two questions I have:

Which license is likely to be the best option for me to closely match the "FSX experience". I am the holder of a PPL. I presume the Professional License is going to be most suitable? Or is the Academic License sufficient? Most of my flight time in FSX has been logged on PMDG B738 NGX. I am not clear on what the differences are and yes, I have read up over at the Lockheed website. What is K-12?

Also, how mature is the current release v2.5? Are there rumors of an updated version on the horizon? I would be irked if I download the HUGE file to a pristine system and then two weeks later a v3 is released.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Hi there!

Like you I have suffered badly running FSX and SE and have also done a clean install of Win 10 I have gone down the P3 D route also but I have opted for a months trial as it is strongly rumoured that v 3 is on the way...

So why not do that and you can evaluate whilst waiting for the next version how it runs...I can maintain a good fps with the default aircraft not tried with the AS Airbus yet..for some reason this was giving me FPS in FSX strange...but I think my issue is with the DX modules or I have a hardware problem at this time my PC is in bits as I am trying to determine what is wrong dry solder joint etc...

Graphically P3D appears a bit more solid and fps issue with the mouse on screen is fixed! Give it a months try and see.

All the best

Mark

It's really worth the jump, if you can afford the add-ons at p3d prices :-)

I really enjoyed the better graphics, the smoothness and stability of the latest 2.5 version, specially after being able to make good use of the tesselation with my new GTX 960 4 GB card.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Thanks Mark and jcomm,

This is great info, very helpful. Sounds like this is the way to go then. I realise I will probably have to either re-purchase or at least re-download some of my add-ons in P3D format. That's the one part I don't enjoy - carefully setting up the sim with all add-ons can take days. At least I won't have to deal with the DX10 issues of FSX! :smile:

When P3D does issue updates, does it usually require an entire uninstall and reinstall, including add on scenery and aircraft, or does it just "patch" over the existing installation? The answer to that might make me dive in or hold off a while longer. I suppose a V3 might anyway be a complete re-install?

Also, still curious to confirm whether the "Academic License" will be sufficient; or will I potentially regret not purchasing the (costly) Pro license, maybe because it limits what add-on's or functionality that I have become used to in FSX? [i know licensing can be a sensitive topic, just looking for some clues to what fellow Avsim'ers opt for as a logical migration from FSX] :wink:.​

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Hey!

I did the change few days ago and have nothing but problems. Stuttering all over the place while having steady Frames of 60. Seems to be a vSynch problem here.

Maybe i have to get a new Monitor with better refreshrate than 60Hz.

Dont get me wrong. The Sim seems to be great and very smooth. Or it would be without the microstuttering.

Regards,

Tom

Hi Greg,

I run P3D 2.5 on a relatively new computer (Feb. 2015) with Win 8.1 installed. P3D runs like clockwork and I am mighty happy with it. I have the Academic license and I think that if you want to use P3D the same way you have used FSX, there is no need to dive deeper into your wallet. As far as I know all add-ons that we use do run on that P3D version. I also had almost no issues installing all my previous FSX payware planes (a2a, Carenado, Captain Sim, Sibwings, Milviz etc, but I don't have any PMDG, so I can't talk about them) into P3D. With some of them I used the Estonian Migration Tool. 

I think I have read somewhere here on avsim that if there is an upgrade to your P3D version, you will need to re-install all your add-ons. But please try to find any thread on this issue here in the P3D forum, because I could be wrong. Oh, btw, as I am very happy with the P3D version that I have, I look forward to see, what version 3 will bring. But right now I don't think that I need it.

Bernd 

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

Never experienced any stuttering in v2.5, since I installed it some 15 days ago, quite on the contrary, but I just have ORBX FTX Global and an airport scenery add-on....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Used FSX for many years. P3D is so much better. Stutter and CTD free which is a big change from any of the MSFS versions  I have flown for decades.  The academic version is exactly the same as the Pro version except a barely visible "academic"  logo in the upper right corner of the academic version. And the best thing about P3D, no tweaking is necessary. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I think I am sold on the upgrade. Glad I thought twice before hauling the FSX box out the cupboard. Now, do I hold off for V3 (which might be months off) or dive in today! Oh the decisions.....

Apart from airports and a few add on act, in FSX I have been using:

REX Essential Plus

Active Sky Next

Orbx FTX Global

My Traffic 6

GSX

I guess all of these are still relevant and worthwhile to install in P3D?

GregH

You will not regret the Changeover i think.

Despite the Problems i still have, i can see how much smoother and faster P3D runs. I just have to get rid of my stuttering issue and i'll be the happiest of simmers.

Since no one addressed the "K-12" question, I'll do so now.

Kindergarten through 12th grade...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Ah, thanks n4gix! Back to school I go! :-)

GregH

I also never stopped studying. I love books and classes :-)

Getting good marks all of the time!

Main Simulation Rig:

I also never stopped studying. I love books and classes :-)

Getting good marks all of the time!

When I passed my check ride back in the late 70s the examiner told me, " Now you have a license to learn about flying".  I am still learning. The day you think you know it all, quit, before you kill yourself or someone else.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310