Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

beta 11 available

And, P3D also charges for new versions. At least that's what happened when I transitioned from P3D v1 into P3D v2 since I only use their Academic versions...

Bought it recently, and can't say it isn't a great sim platform, smooth and with better graphics than FSX / FSX:SE, but my old add-ons aren't all available, and I had to pay a good deal for the 777 to work on it... and, at the end of the day... it's still FSX in as far as the feel of flight goes... Not saying it is bad, but, I do prefer X-Plane, even with it's known and unknown limitations :-)

Yesterday I made a few circuits around LPPT ( as always ) in the JarDesign A320, then in the Flight Factor 777. Landing at dusk / night at that wonderful and FREE LPPT available from the .ORG, with the views XP10 offers is simply the closest to real I could ever experience in a flightsim.

The new NOAA plugin also makes flying with very precise ( according to GFS models ) winds and temperatures aloft. Certainly not inferior to any similar product in FSX/ P3D.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

just like how you have to re-buy new versions of Adobe software

For things like photoshop, you actually pay a rental and always have the latest version. It's not something I like (but I use photoshop heavily), but it is convenient. I guess it's similar to the developer license I have for P3D which means I don't have to repay for v3, as I'm paying every month anyway.

I just emailed their customer service because I have to be 100% sure that it will allow betas before I purchase it.

Rest assured, the download version is exactly the same version that DVD users get. You will get access to betas, etc..

X-Plane 11 is at least 3, probably 4 years away, but you can expect completely free support for the life of X-Plane 10.

What? X-Plane 10 was released (almost) 4 years ago. I doubt it will have a 7 or 8 year cycle. X-Plane 9 cycle was 4 years.

So it's more like 1 or 2 year before X-Plane 11.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

It's only when Austin get's a rest from fighting the Patent Troll Pirates...

Meanwhile, I will try to enjoy what I have.

Before buying XP10 again, last week, the new digital D/L, I asked him if he was about to announce XP11, because I really didn't want for something similar to what happened to me when I bought XP8 ( XP9 announced 15 days later, just as I received the disks and payed the customs.... :-( ).... I skipped XP9 ( was FURIOUS!!!! ), but used the demo version until it's latest release :-)

Austin kindly replied my email, and I bought XP10 Digital D/L 2 minutes after :-)

I believe the LR team and the developers still need time to fix the main issues with XP10, and the developers need to feel some stability, for their testing and experiences. We have PMDG in the boat, and iXEG, and the boat is heavy now and certainly moves slower...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

For things like photoshop, you actually pay a rental and always have the latest version.

I absolutely refuse to pay monthly for software, so I abandoned Photoshop at CS6.  There is nothing in CC that I want or need enough to begin paying forever or lose it and CS6 does everything I need for X-Plane.  Adobe lost me forever as a customer with that, and I'll move to Gimp or other software before I'll ever pay a monthly rental fee.  It isn't working all that well for Microsoft Office 365 either outside of corporate accounts.  Hopefully the software industry will take a hint that we don't want to rent our programs.

I was to the point in life that I could actually afford Photo Shop and then they went rental only so I said, no way !

When PD3 v3 or whatever comes out I will rent it for one month to see if it works any better on my system and if it does I will buy it.

As for XPlane I have been using the 15 minute at a time demo for almost a month and getting more impressed every time I fire it up. So, a purchase is in the near future. I just have to decide - wait for a Steam 30 buck sale with no beta's or get the official digital download now for 60 bucks and get all the beta's. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

When PD3 v3 or whatever comes out I will rent it for one month to see if it works any better on my system and if it does I will buy it.

As for XPlane I have been using the 15 minute at a time demo for almost a month and getting more impressed every time I fire it up. So, a purchase is in the near future. I just have to decide - wait for a Steam 30 buck sale with no beta's or get the official digital download now for 60 bucks and get all the beta's. 

You can let it run for much longer - just get in the air, and switch on AI mode ("AI controls aircraft"). The demo scenery area is fairly large (Seattle and Innsbruck) and you can test out all plugins with the demo, as well as payware and freeware craft. 

I would recommend the digital download version over Steam for one reason - no DRM and you can have multiple copies, such as when you want to network two PCs running X-Plane. Even better, get the DVD version, install everything, rip all the DVDs and put them in a spare hard disk drive for safekeeping. Mount the DVD1 image and continue flying. If your internet connection is metered, the DVD version is the best. 

For things like photoshop, you actually pay a rental and always have the latest version

Yeah, that's what I said. I don't like the monthly fee - prefer to pay for it in one shot and use the same thing for very long. I got Office 2010 nearly 6 years ago, and it works perfectly - even works with OneDrive, although the setup process is a bit dated (M$ still calls it "Windows Live ID"). Honestly - CC 2015 hasn't added much (except in Illustrator - they made it much faster).  

I do use the "AI flies aircraft" mode but that large info box that pops up and stays  up after your 15 min is over seems to be distracting. It is fun to see what the AI will do though and sometimes they really fly the plane and sometimes they are out to lunch. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Something to keep in mind about X-Plane major version  upgrades, is that most of the payware plane developers only guarantee updates and support for the current version of X-Plane. If a developer can take advantage of a new feature when the version number rolls over -- like HDR cockpit lighting effects that came in with version 10 -- they may charge current owners an upgrade fee, or full purchase price, or they might update for free. It just depends on the individual developer's policy.

It's not as bad as it sounds, because the plane models from the last version of X-Plane will usually work in the new version, although you might have to manually update the airfoils in Planemaker. Generally speaking, the incentive to pay for an updated plane model of something you already own, is to get access to new features that didn't exist in the prior version of X-Plane.

It's the price you pay for running a flight sim in continued development. Personally, I'm happy to support the 3rd party plane developers when they charge for new version updates.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

My complaint is never with paying for new versions as I do with all my software.  What I will not do is pay monthly fees in advance before I have a chance to evaluate the update and decide if I want to load it or not.  The really bad part of "renting" your software is that if and when you quit paying, the software self-destructs and will not work.  You keep paying to keep it alive.

It's only when Austin get's a rest from fighting the Patent Troll Pirates...

Meanwhile, I will try to enjoy what I have.

Before buying XP10 again, last week, the new digital D/L, I asked him if he was about to announce XP11, because I really didn't want for something similar to what happened to me when I bought XP8 ( XP9 announced 15 days later, just as I received the disks and payed the customs.... :-( ).... I skipped XP9 ( was FURIOUS!!!! ), but used the demo version until it's latest release :-)

Austin kindly replied my email, and I bought XP10 Digital D/L 2 minutes after :-)

I believe the LR team and the developers still need time to fix the main issues with XP10, and the developers need to feel some stability, for their testing and experiences. We have PMDG in the boat, and iXEG, and the boat is heavy now and certainly moves slower...

What did Austin say ?

I think XPX-11 is already in the works. Ben has mentioned a few times in the past that the plan is to fix what is broken and not add new features.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

I just asked him if it was about to be released next month or so :-)

Of course I guess it must be in advanced state of development, but not about to be released next month or so :-) - for me this was enough to make me decide not to wait for it to be able to experience again the best of the XP experience :-)

Personally, I would rather prefer to have a matured and stable XP10 with some of the features that were mentioned to be addressed during it's cycle achieved, before XP11 get's released. 

Of course we all know that there are never many compatibility issues between versions, so, we will certainly always be able to use our stuff in the next version.

I am glad I chose the download version directly from LR. Having bought from Steam could have saved me a few bucks, but the prompt access to beta updates is really important for me.

I am already back to the full range of add-ons I had installed some 2 yrs ago. Installed the latest versions of the FF 777 200 LR, the JarDesign A320 Neo, the QPAC A320, the LES DC-3 ( this one was particularly missed, as I still consider it as one of my preferred add-ons for X-Plane 10...), but also the remarkable Mu-2J now already with the GNS -)

SkyMax V2, World2XP Europe and Americas and a couple of photo sceneries covering Lisbon and surroundings, and the latest version of that great NOAA plugin, and I have all I was missing back working like a charm, and now, with my GTX 960 4 GB card, even smoother :-)

It's not only the night flying - day flying with the many details that come both with default scenery but even more with some great freeware sceneries, like Madeira and LPPT, make the experience simulated flight in X-Plane 10 really worth, even some of us still use P3Dv2, which is remarkably stable and smooth in my rig and provided me access to the PMDG 777 and Aerosoft A320/21. But there is always something special about X-Plane that I o not find in FSX / P3D, and that feel is always present even when, as typical ( ya know... ) I sometimes get bored with a sim...

Main Simulation Rig:

:-(

They really should change that ... 

I would if I could. I hope they include us Steam users in the Beta party sometime.

It is my understanding that that might be a Steam thing Jose...    That's what I think I have heard said in that they don't want to mess with the potential problems.

John

In the 732 release stream Phillip explained abit more why this will not happen:

First of all it is double the work to keep updating two different sites for litte to no benefit. As tough as it sounds Laminar release betas to get feedback for bugs, not to get a feature early. They have a big enough group already and monitoring steam user forums for bugs is a pita aswell. Secondly, what I didnt know before, X-Plane on steam is distributed through Aerosoft. This means that an update has to be compiled, sent to aerosoft, uploaded by them, verified by steam and get distributed. Hopefully you dont have a new update by the time this process is through :D

And you would do all this work to get maybe one or two bugs on the forum that other people already posted.  Now you can understand why steam will only get RC releases and that will stay for the forseeable future.

So now I have the official download version of Xplane - how and where do download the beta's?

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Run the installer,  click update X-plane. There is a little button on the bottom to check, to use the beta's.

It will examine your current install version and update you to the latest beta.

Rob