Sign in to follow this  
David44

I need somwe advice about re-installing fsx

I am quite new to FSX and now have the following message on my FSX start-up window. "The Dem4km.bgl file is damaged or missing. Please re-install Flight Simulator to restore or repair the file."  Do I have to do a complete uninstall and a re-install to do this, or can I simply overwrite to the file to repair or replace the file? I like most have a bunch of addon scenery, aircraft and special effects that I do not want to lose if at all possible. I have done a complete search for this file but can't find it anywhere. Thanks for what ever input you other flight enthusiasts can offer.

If the file is missing or corrupt you can restore it from your install disks. It is located in MSGAME8.cab. A cab file can be opened and files extracted with any good unzipping program. The installed file is located in the main fsx directory\scenery\base\scenery.

If you cannot find or unzip msgame8.cab, reinsert your fsx disk and then select the 'repair' option. A repair will overwrite your fsx.cfg and scenery.cfg but everything else should remain intact (including any dll.xml that might have been generated if you installed an addon that uses dll.xml).

The following guide for uninstalling/reinstalling FSX is recommended if all else fails:

http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx

Since you are not a new member here at AVSIM, I am moving this to the proper forum - FSX.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

If the file is missing or corrupt you can restore it from your install disks. It is located in MSGAME8.cab. A cab file can be opened and files extracted with any good unzipping program. The installed file is located in the main fsx directory\scenery\base\scenery.

I have the same problem with a missing bgl file. When I navigated to C:\ \\base\scenery only yo find the folder empty. In fact ALL of my scenery folders show empty. I initially thought the files might be hidden, so I went to the folder properties to make sure the "hidden" box was checked. It was. So, can anyone shed light on where the scenery files are? Thanks!!

Files may not be installed because an anti-virus program thinks the files contain viruses and place the files into quarantine. Same goes with any anti-malware program. You can get them back by doing a repair.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10