Sign in to follow this  
BorkPilot

P3D running 32-bit on a 64-bit PC

Hello!

I am running windows 8 64 bit on my PC, and when I have P3D open, and look in my control panel, I get a bar, like I do with any other program currently running on my computer that says; "Prepar3D exe (32-bit)" Is the 32 bit a bug, or am I really loosing RAM? If it really is 32 bit, how can I make it 64-bit? (I run Prepar3D V2.5)

Thanks for answers!

You can't - it's a 32-bit program.  There are tons of posts on here about the future of P3D and the possibility of 64-bit coming.

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

You can't - it's a 32-bit program.  There are tons of posts on here about the future of P3D and the possibility of 64-bit coming.

Well, P3D announced their 64-bit in 2013, with their V1.4. The reason I got P3D was so that I could have a 64 bit simulator...

Is that announcement still on the internet somewhere? Afaik 64 bit has never been announced officially. LM said they were thinking about it but up to now there has been no announcement, not even for 3.0!

The reason I got P3D was so that I could have a 64 bit simulator...

Then you made a mistake.

X-Plane 10 can run either 32-bit or 64-bit, DCS World is 64-bit.

Ian R Tyldesley

L-M have never made such an announcement. You must have read it as a speculative comment from some self-styled `expert`. Shows you how much expertise they possess.

Remember L-M do not follow the normal rules of engagement with flight sim customers because they don't make 'games'. They don't have to infer, suggest or reveal information, they have no mass-market to pander to. The only legitimate place for genuine engagement is in the L-M forums, and I categorically tell you that Lockheed Martin officials have never announced 64-bit versions of their simulator products. They admit only to working on them. So as WotanUK says, you made a mistake. 

When it comes to recommendation and speculation, all you need to do is look at the topic about P3D V3 right here. Those who think they know, don't. Those who do know cannot and will not say.

louisdecoolste

Very good and true posting. Love this one "Those who think they know, don't". Sometimes when I read some postings i wonder if the poster is either a small kid or just plain stupid.  :dance::Clown: 

Jack

the Swede in Spain 

louisdecoolste

Very good and true posting. Love this one "Those who think they know, don't". Sometimes when I read some postings i wonder if the poster is either a small kid or just plain stupid.  :dance::Clown: 

Jack

the Swede in Spain 

+1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Well, P3D announced their 64-bit in 2013, with their V1.4. The reason I got P3D was so that I could have a 64 bit simulator...

No, they did not.

In my opinion it sounds like you got P3D for a wrong reason. Changing a software from 32-bit to 64-bit will NOT automatically solve any issues. It will not go faster, it will not get better memory management, nothing. The reason you should get P3D is that it contains major enhancements in pretty much every part of the simulator, everything from eye candy to its inner workings. This is much, much, much more important than spending the enormous time it would require to go 64-bit. People tend to think that going 64-bit would solve all "out of memory" issues and so on, but without fixing the actual reasons for the memory issues, going 64-bit would actually just make things worse (i.e. use even more memory, go even slower and so on.). If the simulator is not optimized to run well as a 32-bit application, going 64-bit would only make things worse. So first fix the issues, and then, and only then, slowly convert to 64-bit to allow for further development. Right now, the fact that P3D is a 32-bit application is not the bottleneck.

L-M have never made such an announcement. You must have read it as a speculative comment from some self-styled `expert`. Shows you how much expertise they possess.

Remember L-M do not follow the normal rules of engagement with flight sim customers because they don't make 'games'. They don't have to infer, suggest or reveal information, they have no mass-market to pander to. The only legitimate place for genuine engagement is in the L-M forums, and I categorically tell you that Lockheed Martin officials have never announced 64-bit versions of their simulator products. They admit only to working on them. So as WotanUK says, you made a mistake. 

When it comes to recommendation and speculation, all you need to do is look at the topic about P3D V3 right here. Those who think they know, don't. Those who do know cannot and will not say.

http://www.prepar3d.com/news/2013/05/4320/

louisdecoolste

Jack

the Swede in Spain 

Keep to the topic 

Is that announcement still on the internet somewhere? Afaik 64 bit has never been announced officially. LM said they were thinking about it but up to now there has been no announcement, not even for 3.0!

http://www.prepar3d.com/news/2013/05/4320/

No, they did not.

In my opinion it sounds like you got P3D for a wrong reason. Changing a software from 32-bit to 64-bit will NOT automatically solve any issues. It will not go faster, it will not get better memory management, nothing. The reason you should get P3D is that it contains major enhancements in pretty much every part of the simulator, everything from eye candy to its inner workings. This is much, much, much more important than spending the enormous time it would require to go 64-bit. People tend to think that going 64-bit would solve all "out of memory" issues and so on, but without fixing the actual reasons for the memory issues, going 64-bit would actually just make things worse (i.e. use even more memory, go even slower and so on.). If the simulator is not optimized to run well as a 32-bit application, going 64-bit would only make things worse. So first fix the issues, and then, and only then, slowly convert to 64-bit to allow for further development. Right now, the fact that P3D is a 32-bit application is not the bottleneck.

Quotes from https://www.google.no/#q=difference+between+32+and+64+bit+memory

"A big difference between 32-bit processors and 64-bit processors is the number of calculations per second they can perform, which affects the speed at which they can complete tasks." "Multiple cores allow for an increased number of calculations per second that can be performed, which can increase the processing power and help make a computer run faster." "Another big difference between 32-bit processors and 64-bit processors is the maximum amount of memory (RAM) that is supported. 32-bit computers support a maximum of 3-4GB of memory, whereas a 64-bit computer can support memory amounts over 4 GB. " 

Your PC runs faster, it uses ram in a better way.

I'd suggest reading through the article again. From the title: "64-Bit Modeling Tools Released." Modeling tools and simulator are not the same thing. The modeling tools are used by developers to export and compile aircraft models. 64 bit means that we can compile higher poly models without running into limitations during compilation.

To put it simply, Prepar3D has not been and currently is not a 64 bit simulator. As well, 64 bit has not been officially announced for any future versions as of yet.

Brandon Filer

I'd suggest reading through the article again. From the title: "64-Bit Modeling Tools Released." Modeling tools and simulator are not the same thing. The modeling tools are used by developers to export and compile aircraft models. 64 bit means that we can compile higher poly models without running into limitations during compilation.

To put it simply, Prepar3D has not been and currently is not a 64 bit simulator. As well, 64 bit has not been officially announced for any future versions as of yet.

Ok thanks.

Too all you others, Hughes has now told me this, I don't need you to tell me three more times  :smile:

Your PC runs faster, it uses ram in a better way.

No, it does not do that automatically. You kind of wrote it yourself, like more memory is *supported* and the processor *can* perform more calculations per second. This is does not mean that this will happen automatically just because the software is 64-bit. For example, if a 32-bit software runs out of memory because of memory leaks and bad coding, adding the double amount of memory is not the solution. It will just make things worse.

Ok thanks.

Too all you others, Hughes has now told me this, I don't need you to tell me three more times  :smile:

Bummer...  :wink:

Adding to what Louis said, when wild claims are announced on the internet, it is ALWAYS recommended that you go to the source. :)

Don't always believe what you hear on the internet.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit