Sign in to follow this  
Galpers75

Windows 10 / FSX Compatability

Hello one and all, first time poster so please be gentle! I am running FSX Acceleration and have just 'upgraded' to Windows 10. Since I've done this, FSX has stopped working. Well, it loads, let's me plan a flight, download weather etc and when I press 'fly now', it crashes back to my desktop... Anyone have any ideas why or if there is a fix??

Thanks

• Upvote 1

I remember when i upgraded to Windows 10, I also had to upgrade to compatible Windows 10 video drivers.

Anyone have any ideas why or if there is a fix??

I'm sorry to hear you are having problems with FSX after upgrading to Windows 10. It is definitely not Windows 10. Too many members of the Flight Simulation community have upgraded to Windows 10 with no problems whatsoever with FSX, FSX-SE, or P3D.

The best solution would be to move your fsx.cfg to a temporary folder, restart FSX and let the FSX.cfg rebuild. This fixes most problems with FSX as it wipes out any tweaks you might have put in the config. Windows 10 may not like these tweaks. Tweaks are bad anyway unless you still have a Pentium or computer built more than 3 years ago.

If this does not fix the problem, then you need to check out the AVSIM CTD Guide (click on the link to the right of this forum under hotspots). It has many more suggestions.

The AVSIM CTD Guide has a link to the AppCrashView program on page 1 and you should download and run it if you are having further problems. We need to know what the error you are receiving.

Best regards,

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I'm sorry to hear you are having problems with FSX after upgrading to Windows 10. It is definitely not Windows 10. Too many members of the Flight Simulation community have upgraded to Windows 10 with no problems whatsoever with FSX, FSX-SE, or P3D.

The best solution would be to move your fsx.cfg to a temporary folder, restart FSX and let the FSX.cfg rebuild. This fixes most problems with FSX as it wipes out any tweaks you might have put in the config. Windows 10 may not like these tweaks. Tweaks are bad anyway unless you still have a Pentium or computer built more than 3 years ago.

If this does not fix the problem, then you need to check out the AVSIM CTD Guide (click on the link to the right of this forum under hotspots). It has many more suggestions.

The AVSIM CTD Guide has a link to the AppCrashView program on page 1 and you should download and run it if you are having further problems. We need to know what the error you are receiving.

Best regards,

I had lost my FS hard drive a couple months ago.  I have since then upgraded to Win10.  I installed FSX on a new drive and fired it up.  I had been smart and saved my entire USER folder prior to fresh Win10 install.  MOST of my programs worked fine after the win10 install using the user folder and data from win7.  However, FSX was not one of them.  It loaded ok..but kept updating the graphics files every start up.  I could load a flight and start up...but usually within 1-3 minutes the graphics went all nuts and the program crashed.  I had, back when I ran FSX 3-6 hours most days, tweaked the heck out of the cfg file to get the best possible performance with all my graphics upgrades and scenery upgrades.  Long story short (too late).....deleting the old fsx.cfg file fixed my issues...  It now runs like it should have right out of the box.  :)   Amazing what that little file can do to screw things up...and what an easy fix it is to just delete it.

Sim: Prepar3D v4.3  | System: Windows 10 64bit | i7-2600K Quad Core (8 lcpu) OC-3800MHz | 16GB DC 666.7MHz | Gigabyte H67MA-D2H-B3 (F6) | 1 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB | 2 AOC 24" HD Monitors | 1 Dell 22" HD Monitor | 1 47" Vizio 3D HD TV/Monitor | 1 Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe Audio | 1 Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB | 1 Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | 1 Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | 1 Seagate 2TB | 1 STECH 8TB | 1 Seagate 10TB | 1 Toshiba 3TB | HP BD-RE Blu-ray DL RW

full_sig_banner500x80.jpg

Glad that fixed your problem. A lot of people keep their old fsx.cfg and use it in a new install and the "experts" (I'm not one of them), say that you should never use an old config and I think they are right. Let's hope FSX continues to work great for you and you can enjoy this little hobby.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I have just migrated to Win10 from Win7.  I am using FSX Gold so I have both SP1 and 2 installed and running properly.  FSX  is still installed on my C Drive but when I started it up I saw the usual FSX start screen and then a message saying something about "Simconnect does not run for more than 50 seconds......."  It then closes.  I have tried the old "rename FSX.cfg and restart FSX" trick, but when I did this I saw a host of messages saying do I want to install FSUIPC, FSRecorder" etc 

When I try to run FSX again I see the screen for about 5-10 seconds and then it goes black.  If I use CTRL+ALT+DEL I see task manager, I click on "Cancel" and see the FSX cockpit screen for a few seconds and then it goes black again.

Is this a Simconnect issue, and if so how can I sort it out? 

I have never seen any reference to Simconnect previously when using FSX with Win 7.

Thank you.