Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

FSX Keyboard: $129

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Phew, quite expensive, but I like the back lit keys.

I took a normal keyboard, turned it 90 degrees, remapped the keys using FSuipc & printed little lables that I cut out & stuck on the keyboard keys. Colour coded & grouped per function. We are using a few like this at our VA.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Considering the amount of money spent on this hobby, the $129 is probably not outrageous, comparatively.......

Doing it yourself is an option as well, but unless I could do it very neatly, I would consider it an eyesore, and probably not use it that much.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Soft of default MFS flier type, I'd say.

A lot of keys I would not need, e.g.:

- engine start (!)

- smoke system

- mission compass

- reset flight

- etc

Of course you can reassign the keys but, hey, I can do it with any keyboard using e.g. FSUIPC.

Lit keys? Nice, for sure. But I never ever fly in the dark, so no problem here again.

a Logitech G510 has backlit keys + at least 54 macro keys .... you will remember them all with use !!

for now, cheers

john martin

I don't find this useful.  I don't use 95% of key shortcuts, except 1....0 for PFE, S & A (Shift+) for changing cameras, and V for screenshot, that's it!

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Here in South Africa, $129 equates to R 1550.00 local currency.

So, if you already have FSuipc, as I'm sure most of us have, a normal,unilluminated keyboard costs the equivilant of $ 6.15! (R80.00 local).

I went thru all FSuipc's key codes & made labels, colour coded, of the most important keys we would use, & colour printed them on sticky labels.

It actually works well when the new keyboard is turned 90 degrees. I also use a CH-Products yoke, & the combination works well, at he price!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

For me, it might still be worth it. I never did learn what all the keyboard commands were (at least not instinctively) and this seems an easy way to catch up.

Devons rig

It is a great price for a backlit keyboard that caters to a niche market

Matthew Kane

Great for default plane enthusiasts but Im trying to get away from a keyboard

ZORAN

It is a great price for a backlit keyboard that caters to a niche market

I was beginning to wonder if I was the only sentient in this arm of the galaxy who didn't hate the idea!  :lol:

Devons rig

That's quite expensive indeed, but if I'll ever find time to get back to flight simming, this looks really great! Having been flying mainly default-ish airplanes at the end of my flying carreer, this may really prove helpful for me, just to get back into the whole stuff, because after being inactive for more than half a year, and only very seldom in the year before that, I think I don't remember most of the commands anymore...

Related, but on a different slant:

I wish a company would make a keyboard that is laid out with the buttons in an even grid, preferably with no letters on them.  Just like the number pad, but a nice even grid, including all keys.  Blank holes at the corners would be a plus.

I'd buy that in a heart beat. That would look excellent with proper labels, mounted in a simpit.

My issues with any keyboard is that they still look like a keyboard, and my OCD nature refuses to accept the messy layout that results from trying to use one!

Years ago I recall seeing a keyboard that was a blank base, and the keys attached via suction or friction of something to the base, allowing you to group keys together for application-related shortcuts.  I don't think they're made any longer.

Edit:

A bit of googling told me that the original keyboard I was thinking of was called the ErgoDex.  CH products then teamed up with them and made the CH Products 'Multi Function Panel'.  It seems that they've become popular as an input device in Star Citizen: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/148997/ch-products-mfp-ch-multi-function-panel-owners-club  and as such, considering they were never a popular item to begin with and have been out of production for some time from what I gather, they are scarce like hens teeth.  I found one on EBay, and it's near $250 USD.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.