Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Flight Factor 777 and mouse scrolling knobs...

Just as an aid for any of you who may face this same "problem" I leave here my experience with the latest version - 1.8.0 - of the Flight Factor 777 I installed a couple of days ago...

As I rushed into the virtual cockpit to make my first test flight, a short hop between Lisbon and Porto, I found that I couldn't in any way move any of the rotary switches in the overhead panel, starting with the APU mode selector :-(

I posted a thread at the .ORG, on their support forum there, and a few minutes later opened a ticket at their new support system, which was readily answered, even being weekend!

But meanwhile, I started googling for any hints, and found a post mentioning the "mouse scroll" tick mark option in the 777 menu, which was selected by default, and had to be de-selected if I wanted to use the old method of interacting with rotating knobs. But! there was yet another thing missing... Microsoft Visual C ++ 2013 runtime, which was not installed in my new win 10 system.

So, if you find you can't rotate the knobs in your FF 777 v1.8.0, make sure you install MSVC++2013 runtime !

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Yes, and that's also true if you install FF 757.  It will not even light up the panels without MSVC++2013 runtime.  I find that using Pumpers cockpit mod with the 1.71 version of the FF777 offers the best control of the knobs as well as looking more like the  real thing based only on pictures of the real thing.  I have no actual cockpit experience, but things like the sound of the flaps (none in Pumper's except the click of the switch) is probably more realistic as they are way back on the fuselage.  

John

p.s. - The Pumper addition will not work with 1.8... yet.  He is working on one.

John Wingold

Thx Jon,

will certainly give that mod a try when available for 1.8.0.

Do you have the A350 ? If yes, how's it ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Thx Jon,

will certainly give that mod a try when available for 1.8.0.

Do you have the A350 ? If yes, how's it ?

No Jose, I looked at it when I bought the 757, but this 72 year old brain had enough problems trying to learn the 777 and it's associated FMS.  I figured that I was not ready to learn a whole new system, but found that the 757 was, in itself, a new system - rather a little older but different.  I had stuck with GA aircraft for years, seeing no real reason to get up to where I could not see "stuff", but with the extended visibilities of the 10.40 betas, it opened up a whole new world for me.  The only other thing I would like to see in that area is night lighting extended to match the extended daytime visibilities.  I can see the appeal of the A350 for you, especially in your environment, as you are probably more apt to see them in Europe than the Boeing, but my yoke system would not be realistic with the joystick used in those aircraft.  It looks really nice.

John

John Wingold

Yes, the 757 was on my mind too, sometime ago, but now I will save for the upcoming dc-6 by PMDG.

Their A350 might be an option though...

And of course, the iXEG 737 whenever it get's released :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

And of course, the iXEG 737 whenever it get's released :-)
I'm pretty sure that'll be *cough* any day now *cough*.

I'm pretty sure that'll be *cough* any day now *cough*.

Are you sure you are not a tour guide on a loch ness tourist boat ?  Nessy will show itself any day now :D

I have a question about the 777 and the 757,,,do either or both have windows you can look out of in the passenger section? I tried to see this in the screen shots but none were close enough. 

I like the idea that in X Plane you can walk back into the passenger area, sit down and look out over the wings.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

I have a question about the 777 and the 757,,,do either or both have windows you can look out of in the passenger section?

Yes, both have real windows you can look out of, as well as look into from the outside view.