Sign in to follow this  
lekijiji

P3D training features

Guys,

I 'm looking into upgrading to P3D, and I was asking myself why they claim the sw is for training and not for gaming. In what way?

I would be using the sw for training only, but didn't understand what differences are there between, say, FSX and P3D in relation to training.

More customizable in terms of failures, weather...maybe?

I will use it to run PMDG 777

Anyone willing to explain this?

<p>Francesco

It's based on their license contract with Microsoft.Microsoft gave a license for training to LM (and others) and a license to Dovetail for gaming (which should materialize in the next year).

It's up to you to decide if your usage is within the guidelines.

http://www.prepar3d.com/product-overview/prepar3d-license-comparison/

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I understand it's a matter of licence, but what does it change between the 2 in relation to training?

Nothing?

<p>Francesco

From my point of view not much. P3D comes with others planes, has better graphics, shadows etc. all being effects not necessarily devoted to training (aside the fact they improve immersion). I don't see it being equipped with much more special training features in comparison to FSX. I use if for general GA simulation in much the same way as I used FSX before.

However, there are features like Sim director which I never touched, thus I would leave it to others with more experience in this respect to comment on this point.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Basically, FSX is about 9 years old & has not been updated, apart from FSX: Steam

P3D is on version 2.5 & Version 3 is on the horizon. There have been about 8-9 versions of P3D so far, so a lot more updated than FSX. Have a look at their forums.

The 'not for entertainment' part of their EULA covers them, as they are working with the original 'pro' version of FSX, called ESP,  that was not available to hobbyists.

So, if you want a game, go to FSX: Steam. If you want to learn... P3D.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Basically, FSX is about 9 years old & has not been updated, apart from FSX: Steam

P3D is on version 2.5 & Version 3 is on the horizon. There have been about 8-9 versions of P3D so far, so a lot more updated than FSX. Have a look at their forums.

The 'not for entertainment' part of their EULA covers them, as they are working with the original 'pro' version of FSX, called ESP,  that was not available to hobbyists.

So, if you want a game, go to FSX: Steam. If you want to learn... P3D.

I have been a licensed Pilot for almost 40 years, and there is always something to learn about aviation. P3D is the place for me to do that. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

That's all well and good guys, but as far as I understand the question of the OP was which specific technical features P3D has compared FSX to better support its use as a training tool.

Kind regrdas, Michael

Ok, I believe I haven't express myself in a clear way. English is not my first language so don't blame me for that. I already struggle with a language that is not mine..

I'll try to rephrase it, hoping it comes across more clearly this time.

What are the features that make P3D better for training than FSX?

<p>Francesco

Go to their web site & read what they say!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Wobbie, thank you!!!! You are my light!

And you must have A LOT of free time if you spend it writing such useful things on the forum.

Good on you!

I only wish I had the time you have to say NOTHING on the web.

Oh, wait a minute... maybe not.... :fool:

Oh, I forgot: STEAM!!

<p>Francesco

And you must have A LOT of free time if you spend it writing such useful things on the forum.

Good on you!

HUH?????

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Good on you!

Oh, I forgot: STEAM!!

Native language or not, that is still a rude reply.

I'll put it differently - stop asking questions when you CAN FIND THE ANSWER YOURSELF by simply READING the LM website.

Is that CLEAR enough?

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Neither is approved for training. 

Either may be used as part of a device that is approved for training.

So now you can stop looking.

Not only that, the L-M website contains specific examples of how. So now you should apologise to the person who gave you the best advice in this topic.

Go to their web site & read what they say!

Vic, Nobody with an honest question should have to put up with smart &@($* comments like this. This is a forum, he came for an answer to his question. He was basically told to ********** off. You tell him to quit asking questions. Who gave YOU that right. Heck, many of the questions on these forums have an answer elsewhere. That doesn't imply that they cannot be asked here. This type of response happens far too often here. I think that it's time that the moderators put an end to it. I don't blame the OP for his reply.

James McLees

I agree to you, Jimmi. Even more, as the OP obviously is new to P3D and, honestly, the Prepar3d Website is not that well-organized that the answer is obvious. You certainly can find an answer there, but then we don't need fora at all as 95 % of all question have been answered *somewhere* before.

To return to track, I still think Simdirector

http://www.prepar3d.com/product-overview/

(on the bottom of that page) is one of the answers as it allows setting up training scenarios. However, never having used it myself I am not in a position to comment on its use. From what I am reading on the LM forums now and then it's no much used by general users, but rather by LMs industrial customers, which is why they are quite actively developing it. The Learning Center under

http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv2/LearningCenter/LearningCenter.php

has more info on its use.

Kind regards, Michael