I asked in the hardware>monitor section but got zero replies.

A question about TVs as a P3D monitor.

I take it modern LED TVs have a "fast enough" response time for sim display?

I'm a retired guy so a $1500 TV is out of the question for gaming. But after saying that

I see some brand name 32" to 40" TVs at great sale prices. 

What specs on a TV am I looking for as a P3D monitor?  

Right now I am using a nVidia 680 but am looking at a 970.

Thanks

Ken

I use a 60Hz 46" HDTV as my simming monitor.  I also have a 970.  Works fine.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I also use a 32" HDTV as a monitor.  Have had it for two years and it works fine with my EVGA GTX 650 Ti Boost 2gb card. I too am retired and budget was of concern.  Would look you check to get one with the highest resolution possible for the price.

Hi Ken,

Do a search on "tv vs monitor for gaming" and draw your own conclusions.

Personally I use a TV on one of my computers (cuz it was free) but not for any kind of graphics, like FSX or P3D. Strictly web browsing and home accounting. And I still hang on to Rollercoaster Tycoon but that's 640x480.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

Omitting the latest super high resolution TVs...

I would say it depends on the TV and the type of aircraft you fly.  I recently tried a 32" 1080p LED HDTV while flying the Aerosoft Airbus A320, and at (I'm going to get the resolution a bit wrong, but you'll know what i mean) 1920x1080 I could not read the letters or numbers on the Nav or EFIS display. I changed the resolution to 1240x1024 and I was able to read the letters and numbers though they were still a little out of focus.

I spoke to someone who works in the field who explained to me that generally speaking TVs just don't have the pixels that a computer monitor has, thus they may work okay for graphics but for reading text they can't compare to a computer monitor.

Note please that my TV was 60Hz and the refresh rate was fine, so moving to a 120Hz or 240Hz would not have helped the alpha numeric resolution.

I run an NVIDIA 970, and presently use 3, 23 inch monitors.  Someday I hope to buy larger monitors.

Hope this helps!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I would say it depends on the TV and the type of aircraft you fly. I recently tried a 32" 1080p LED HDTV while flying the Aerosoft Airbus A320, and at (I'm going to get the resolution a bit wrong, but you'll know what i mean) 1920x1080 I could not read the letters or numbers on the Nav or EFIS display. I changed the resolution to 1240x1024 and I was able to read the letters and numbers though they were still a little out of focus.

I spoke to someone who works in the field who explained to me that generally speaking TVs just don't have the pixels that a computer monitor has, thus they may work okay for graphics but for reading text they can't compare to a computer monitor.

Not sure what that means "don't have the pixels".  I have a 27" monitor (Dell) next to my 46" TV (Samsung) and I'll admit the monitor looks better, kind of...I think the TV shows all the flaws since it's so large but the size of things on the screen are more realistic.  They're both 1080p and I can read text on either equally. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Ok guys....thanks for the input....you've given me a lot of info to work with.

Another question....I keep reading about HDMI "lag" and to use the DVI Input if a TV has them.

Many of the TV manuals mention connecting a computer to your TV but those without DVI inputs say to use a DVI to HDMI cable.

Will that still cause a lag or is the lag a product of the computer output?? Not that many TVs with DVI inputs on the market.

Thanks again!

Ken

I've hooked mine up with both straight HDMI and with a DVI to HDMI converter and noticed no difference at all.

Gregg Seipp

Tv doesn't have the resolution , or number of pixels that a computer monitor has . The larger the TV  screen size, the more apparent this is as the pixels are then spaced farther apart. You lose fine detail with the TV, that you would get with a monitor. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

For my 75th I just bought a Polaroid 55" 4k @60Hz  TV from Fry's for $428.00.  It wasn't my 1st choice.  That was an LG 55" 4k @120Hz for around $700.00.  Anyway, it has 4 HDMI inputs and two of them are HDMI2, no dead pixels, no bright pixels, and it looks gorgeous in flight.  I can make the instrument panel almost full size and the scenery looks great.  My video card is an EVGA 980FTW.  The main drawback to any 4k monitor or TV is you have to stand up & get close you want to see your frame rate.  I love it!!!!

Hey Bobsk8,

I see that you are 10 days older than me.  Happy Birthday :Party: :Party:

I use a LG 55" LED (in PC mode @60htz). I think the key is to stick with a 60htz (or lower) refresh rate, when I try to run in 120htz mode I get awful screen tearing.

Also run hdmi with no problems

I use a 60" Samsung Plasma TV at 1080p 60hz with a DVI to HDMI cable. There is no lag and the image is excellent with P3D and gaming. Also the immersion, which is crucial, is superb as a result of the screen size. TV's are a much better buy than monitors in my opinion

Used a 4k TV (LG 42 inch, also tried Samsung 4k 55 inch) for the past year.I sit about 18 inches from it. It works fine even at 30Hz. I don't think a 1080p has adequate resolution for VC's by comparison but others may have opinions.

The key factor for 4k is a decent graphics card, The 780ti worked okay but a 780ti made a big frame rate difference in P3D.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

23" monitor 1080x1920 pixels. Big TV at 1080x1920 same number of pixels, just larger pixels.Look at both from 6 inches away an note the pixel size. Now, the screen quality of the monitor should be better. Precisly sized and spaced pixels with proper brightness control and range of light as well as proper color rendition. The stuff you receive on your TV is quite bad compared to a graphic card's output. Compression keeps both quality and costs down. If you look an an old fashioned "over the air" picture directly from the local news studio, versus CNN or FOX the cruddy Network picture is noticeable.

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

The resolution for a 32" monitor could be 2560 x 1440 for 2k  or 3840 X 2160 for a 4 k monitor.  The resolution of a 2K HDTV is 1920 x 1080.  There is no way that the TV is going to look as good as the monitor regarding the resolution alone.  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310