Sign in to follow this  
oscarduran10

I7 6700k better overclocker?

Just installed P3D and will start playing around with it the next coming days but at this point I decided to stay at 4.6 GHz (went down another 100 MHz to keep the temps down) and HT enabled.

If I won't be happy with the performance I'll try disabling HT and increase the clock a bit to find out what will give the most smooth ride.

Richard Åsberg

Could someone do me a favor and run an Intel Extreme Tuning Utility benchmark on their Skylake at a good clockspeed (e.g. WebMaximus' 4.7Ghz) and post the results? Curious to see how the IPC translates to results...

Just installed P3D and will start playing around with it the next coming days but at this point I decided to stay at 4.6 GHz (went down another 100 MHz to keep the temps down) and HT enabled.

If I won't be happy with the performance I'll try disabling HT and increase the clock a bit to find out what will give the most smooth ride.

Please keep us informed of your results. Curious where that "HT vs. clock speed" point occurs.

Regards,

Greg

Could someone do me a favor and run an Intel Extreme Tuning Utility benchmark on their Skylake at a good clockspeed (e.g. WebMaximus' 4.7Ghz) and post the results? Curious to see how the IPC translates to results...

Tried that software but couldn't get along with it and later people adviced me to stay away from it so that's what I did.

There's also a software that comes with the motherboard called MSI Command Center but in the end I find it best to tune stuff directly in UEFI.

Please keep us informed of your results. Curious where that "HT vs. clock speed" point occurs.

Regards,

Greg

Yep, will report back but will probably take a while before I have a definitive answer.

Should also mention that should I get a great and smooth result right away with how I have things tuned now I don't think I'll invest any more time in benching performance but will then enjoy the system in the NGX from FL300+ instead :wink:

Richard Åsberg

Tried that software but couldn't get along with it and later people adviced me to stay away from it so that's what I did.

Right: you can use it to tune and set clock settings but I don't use it for that. I just use it for stress testing and benchmarks. I don't like changing clock speeds and voltages in Windows.

Anyway, running a benchmark in IETU isn't a big deal. It'd be nice if someone would give a shot. Takes 3 seconds...

Just did my first test with the new rig with all my normal add-ons installed and everything set exactly as I had it with my previous Haswell 4770K system and so far it looks very promising.

Sitting at gate 5 at Stockholm-Arlanda using the Aerosoft scenery in the NGX during mid day with fair weather (provided by ASN realtime weather) I now get just below 60 FPS and that is a 10 FPS improvement over my previous system. I have yet to do an actual flight though and will report back again but thought I would share my findings so far.

Richard Åsberg

Just did my first test with the new rig with all my normal add-ons installed and everything set exactly as I had it with my previous Haswell 4770K system and so far it looks very promising.

Sitting at gate 5 at Stockholm-Arlanda using the Aerosoft scenery in the NGX during mid day with fair weather (provided by ASN realtime weather) I now get just below 60 FPS and that is a 10 FPS improvement over my previous system. I have yet to do an actualy flight though and will report back again but thought I would share my findings so far.

Very interesting -  thank you for that report.  :smile:

Which GPU and video resolution are you using?

: : : aviation.pero-online.de
Developer of SIMstarter NG P3D & Homecockpit Builder

Very interesting - thank you for that report. :smile:

Which GPU and video resolution are you using?

I'm using a 980Ti @ 4K.

Richard Åsberg

This is interesting... I am still on a 2500k @ 4.5Ghz so I am sure I would see a fairly good improvement.

Hamish.

Tonight I did another test...disabling HT and instead I increased my overclock from 4.6->4.8 GHz and I also tried increasing my DDR4 RAM from 2666-3000MHz and this gave my another 5-6 FPS meaning I had approx 65-66 FPS in the same situation as described above.

This is the highest FPS I've ever seen in this situation so can't wait to fly and see if things are also as smooth as I hope they'll be. Not always a high FPS equals to a 100% smooth experience without any stutters but will find out on my first flight and might find time for a short one already tonight or at least sometime this week.

Richard Åsberg

Increasing RAM speed and disabling HT are classic overclockers "tricks".  Glad to see they worked for you.  Another 10% performance (for free) is nothing to sneeze at in a sim that's as CPU-limited as FSX/P3D.