Sign in to follow this  
OggyAv8er

Should I install FSX or FSX/SE to run PMDG777?

Hi,

I'm installing PMDG onto my new PC after deciding that my iMac with Bootcamp wasn't what I wanted.

I had reasonable success running PMDG, initially with FSX and then adding FSX/SE. I never really understood if I'd improved things or not. So I'm wondering if I should install either of the programs or both?

Both iMac and PC are running Win 8.1.

Any Advice gratefully received.

Regards,

Steve Wakeham

I do not know of any reason to install both FSX and FSXSE for everyday use. I have both but only to support beta testing. FSXSE includes a few fixes left over from the Aces Project that didn't make it into the box so in that regard it's better. On the other hand I do not like the Steam interface that needs frequent updates presumably to ensure I'm getting the latest advertising from them.

There are many that are strong advocates of Steam.

I have no experience with Win8 and assume you've already handled the issues it had with MSFS.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks Dan,

I've lent my FSX disks out so downloading the Steam edition now.

The program ran well enough in boot camp with the iMac and 8.1. However I'm hoping for improved performance and convenience from a dedicated PC.

Fingers crossed

I had FSX Acceleration and after reading many many posts about steam I uninstalled Acceleration and installed fsx steam as single install. I can confirm what I have read often, that it is better with VAS (less OOM). A few older freeware utilities won't run but nothing important. As far as I know, it will give less problems if it is the only fsx version on your pc (so ,don't install the DVD later). 

good installing for you

cheers

alfred

Hi, Steve,

Steam does seem to run better.  The main disadvantage is that some addons won't work.  I've been unable to get the Flightsimlabs Concorde to work.  FS Recorder doesn't work on my system, although some people have reported than an older version does work to some extent. 

You are probably better off with a single install of the Steam version, as in a dual install, Steam creates some important folders with different names that older addons don't know about.  So some files need to be manually tweaked, and some features just won't work.  I think that if you install FSX Boxed version after you have installed the Steam version, one or both won't work properly.

You will need to run the "legacy" simconnect files, located in three subfolders of ... SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces

In each subfolder, you will see a file called SimConnect.msi .  Click on each one to install that version of Simconnect.  Installing them won't cause any harm.

Also, lots of people, including PMDG, recommend that you NOT install FSX in the Programs or Programs(x86) folder, but somewhere else.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Thanks for the additional tips Guys,

I'll install as a top tier folder specifically for FSX. It did run better that way on the iMac, so will try the same here.

All the other stuff sounds technical but you sound like you know what you're talking about so I'll go with it.

It's halfway through the download, so hopefully I can test it in the am and add PMDG if it's working fine.

I'll have a crack at the simconnect thing too, whatever it does :)

Regards,

Steve

I'll have a crack at the simconnect thing too, whatever it does :)

Hi, Steve,

It's an important interface between many addons and FSX, including the PMDG 777 and Active Sky Next.  If you had FSX Boxed version on your computer, it would have installed all of them and you wouldn't notice a problem.  But for some reason FSX Steam does not install the older ones, although it comes with the files needed to install them.  If you load an aircraft and it doesn't work, looks skeletal or shows some other type of weirdness, that would be the first thing to check.  I have seen no report that installing the older ones has harmed anything in anyone's installation.

Mike

PS: Make sure that you have the most recent, complete installation file for the 777.  When older installers, even patched ones, were put out, nobody knew about Steam and so the installers don't work properly.

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

I seem to have missed the opportunity to install in a separate file system, so its ended up in the program file(x86) folder. I'm guessing its probably easier to leave it for now and see if it works?

I've activated the 3 files you mentioned. It seems to be ok at the moment.

ended up in the program file(x86) folder.

I ran FSX in the Programs location for a long time, up until my last build as a matter of fact. Just make sure you have admin rights assigned and remember to check into file permissions if odd things happen.  Not sure about Steam, Dovetail has done some odd things with the registry and installs and uninstalling to relocate might create more problems than it solves. If it were not Steam I'd recommend reinstall but Dovetail.... I don't know. Hard call.

Dan Downs KCRP